lawnmower repair

  • ebmylonas
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2009
      Hello

      First, what is a potatoe gun?
      Second, Is there a book or free instructions on how to repair or maintain your lawnmower. I have a toro, self propelled, a think 450.
      When I could afford it, I would take it to the dealer, where I bought it. It would take a few months before, I got it back and it was something minor, anyway, the dealer charged an arm and a leg. Later, on I found someone else, and they put the controlls on backards. The mower is not new any more. And I do not want to invest money in a lot of labor cost. I changed the oil every 20 hrs of use, and lub. I maintained it well, as much as I could. It just did'nt want to turn on one day. It might be the trottle.
      A new one cost like $200.oo. But, not self propelled and not a 450.
      I'm interested in learning anyway.
      Novice
    • Buckshot
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
        Try writing to Toro for a maintenance manual for your mower.

        If you look on line, it might even be downloadable.

        Is it pull cord start or does it have a battery or an electric plug-in to
        start it?

        Can you pull it and it won't start? Or do you turn a key and it no longer
        turn over?

        One of the first things to check is the spark plug. Also the plug wire.

        In addition, there is an ignition system on these little mowers, and it is
        usually under the flywheel. To work on that you will have to have some
        decent wrenches and a socket set and, if you have to pull the flywheel, a
        set of wheel pullers.

        Buckshot

      • faireday@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
          Some of the voc schools teach small engine repair, covering lawn mowers and
          snow blowers.. It's a great way to get cheap repairs, as all the work is
          done by the students. Some also teach adult ed classes for the community,
          especially if there are people interested.

          So call your local vocational school and see what they offer.

          )

          .

        • Christopher Young
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
            A potatoe gun is what Dan Quayle uses to kill spuds. Either that, or it's a PVC tube of certain design, which uses exploding expanding gasses to propel a potato.

            I think Toro used Tecumseh engines. I think? In any case, Tec was known for water and crud in the fuel tank, clogs the carb. You any where near Rochester, NY? I'd be happy to take a look, in the spring some time.

            Christopher A. Young
            See me on the web
            http://www.chrisyoungsshop.com/
            .
            .

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
              That's probably something that everyone needs to learn. Think I'll check
              into an adult small engine repair class in my area. I'd hate to loose
              the use of something like a generator just because I was too stupid to
              repair it!

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
                Years ago, I did take a small engine repair course. The skills, I thought were very valuable. It could possibly make the differnce between having a generator, or being in the dark. I used some of what I learned to fix a snow blower I bought, used. The course was some money, can't remember how much. But, the skills were excellent.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2010
                  The only things you have to watch are changes in the industry.

                  There have been two large ones recently.

                  Two stroke use has gone way down. No more Lawn Boy as a branch of
                  Evinrude/Johnson. Toro doesn't use them on lawn mowers at all any more from
                  what I understand. The two stroke stuff left is all in the chain saw and
                  weed whacker engine ranges now from what I understand.

                  The 4 stroke engines, I am told, are now using electronics instead of coils
                  and condensers on them which is another major change.

                  Both can probably be caught up with very quickly if you have the base
                  knowledge, you just have to know that changes have been made and seek the
                  new info. Might even be able to do it on line.

                  Buckshot