Re: [MSM] former member returning

  • John Gilmer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1 5:29 AM
      Blueduck Blog wrote:
      > The man who revived the pelton wheels up and sold out and moved to the
      > Philippines a while back to get married again at age 70 plus..... but
      > from what i talked to him about you need a decent fall and flow together
      > to produce any kind of decent power from a creek.

      Maybe.

      The first step is at least a back of the envelop survey to see just what
      your hydro potential is.

      You can get a half/ass idea of volume by tossing a floating object
      into the center of the creek(s) and determining how long it takes to
      travel, say, 20 ft. The water tends to "stick" to the sides and bottom
      so a VERY conservative measure of the cross section area of the stream
      is taken. Dividing this by two (2) fudges down a bit more.

      That give you the cu/ft per second if you use consistent units (feet,
      seconds) V=0.5xAxS (where A is area, S is stream speed.) FT^2xFT/sec =
      CuFt/sec. Convert to gallons/second by multiplying by 8 (gud enuf).

      Then you need to determine your maximum but practical head or drop of
      the creek(s) over your property.

      At this point you exploit that some water pumps are 'reversible.' You
      go to a catalog of on on-line catalog and find a pump that would pump
      your volume of water against your head. It well recommend a certain
      motor size/speed.

      Now you are in the ball park. As an additional "fudge" you might
      want to take the motor size and divide by 2 again.

      Where do you stand?

      If you want more accurate results, you take the volume from above and
      convert it into mass (64 #/cu ft). You have so many pounds of water
      flowing down per second. Multiply that by the "head" in feet and you
      have foot pounds /second. 550 foot lbs/sec = 1 hp = 700 watts (note I
      am always rounding down!)

      Once you have done your math you have to decide whether the game is
      worth the candle. If you can count on it 24/7, even as little of 50
      watts available 24/7 will serve you better than peak solar of 300
      watts. The solar will not work at night (duh!) and will not be much
      good more than 6 hours/day. Clouds mess things up. The panels can be
      damaged and may be difficult to repair.

      Note that in the real world, power companies routinely walk away from
      small (20 kW or so) hydro plants. One reason might be the liability
      associated with the dam but that fact that their marginal cost of
      generating power from other sources can be a small as $.04 per kWh.
      It's difficult to justify 'management' of a source the produces less
      than $1/hour worth of power. Even if you use more optimistic numbers,
      power companies don't want to mess with "small hydro."

      Note that small hydro has other problems. One is that most streams
      flood occasionally. Trouble is that all your power equipment is right
      down there on the flood plain. If you decide you want some power
      storage (i.e.: batteries) your regulator and your cells will be right
      down there in the flood plain.