Re: [MSM] What type of oil should be used in old oil lamps?

  • Wes Jones
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 31, 2008
      Bill:

      I have to take exception to the inclusion gof diesel fuel in your
      prohibitions. Otherwise completely agree. Diesel is a less refined form
      of kerosene and woks pretty well in most oil lamps. Might be a tad more
      smoky that pure kero but in a pinch, it'll work, and is certainly as safe
      as any fuel you might put in one. And it has more of an odor.

      Best, wes

      --
      Listen to what they DO!
    • LINDARUTH HORTON
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 1, 2008
        I use karosene in all of my oil lamps from the very old ones to the modern ones.  Lamp oil is a bit too pricy for me.

        DIA BEANNACHT LEAT
        Lindaruth In North Western Wisconsin

        --- On Sun, 8/31/08, Fernwoods@... <Fernwoods@...> wrote:

        I also have an Aladin lamp that I bought about 30 years ago
        for decoration, but am wondering what to put in it to make it
        work as a light. How can I tell if I should use kerosene or Oil?

        Thanks in advance for any advise!

        Karen

        **************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your
        travel
        deal here.

        ------------------------------------

        Please check out our "experimental" forum:
        http://www.forum.thesurvivalists.com

        Links

      • Mark Abner
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 1, 2008
          ultra pure lamp oil is parafin dont use it in your aladin lamp.

          Mark
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 1, 2008
            Well, I did say "probably not". Just that I wasn't sure of it. As to
            being smoky. It certainly would be very smoky and smell worse than
            kerosene in the house.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 1, 2008
              Actually not very smokey at all if the wick is trimmed up and adjusted
              correctly. There is the smell though... :-(

              But in a make do situation that is something a person can get used to
              easier than no light.

              Best, wes

              --
              Listen to what they DO!
            • loisc1945
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008
                I ordered a mantle from the Aladdin Co. and they included a catalogue
                with. it. It states that you should never use lamp oil in an Aladdin,
                use pure kerosene only. I do use lamp oil in my old oil lamps when our
                power goes off, which it does frequently. I think it happens when
                someone at city hall sneezes <grin>.
                Lois in OK

                --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Abner"
                <wizard1@...> wrote:

                > ultra pure lamp oil is parafin dont use it in your aladin lamp.
                >
                > Mark
              • Barbara H. Garrett
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008
                  Karen, I use the purchased lamp oil from the dollar store in all my oil
                  lamps, new and antiques, and I pick it up for storage in off-season sales if
                  at all possible. Make sure to pick up extra wicking when you can find it.

                  Barbara Houston Garrett
                  Independent Associate & Group Benefits Consultant
                  Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
                  Making a Living Making a Difference

                  www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/barbaragarrett

                • Wes Jones
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008
                    That's probably because of the additives in lamp oil to make it smell
                    nicer. I'd guess those additives may clog up the mantle.

                    But basically, kerosene and paraffin (not the wax, that's something
                    entirely different) are the same thing. There may be some differences in
                    the molecular weight of what's in each but I also think there's some
                    overlapping in the specifications. Kerosene was originally, literally,
                    coal oil. It was derived from heating coal and condensing the vapors
                    which produced a light clear oil.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene_lamp

                    Best, wes

                    --
                    Listen to what they DO!
                  • dennisthebald
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008
                      --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com, Fernwoods@... wrote:

                      > What type of oil should be used in old oil lamps?
                      > At least I am guessing they are oil lamps,
                      > I have several old lamps from my parent's very
                      > old house and am wondering how to make them work.
                      >
                      > Where do you buy it?
                      >
                      > I also have an Aladin lamp that I bought about 30 years ago
                      > for decoration, but am wondering what to put in it to make it
                      > work as a light. How can I tell if I should use kerosene or Oil?
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance for any advise!
                      >
                      > Karen

                      It's kinda hard to say what type of fuel a particular lamp might burn
                      from your description, photos might help. Then again you might be
                      better off to scavenge the glass chimney and other hardware and build
                      your own lamp to put under it.

                      Most wicks aren't that picky about what type of liquid they wick so if
                      it has a wick you will probably be okay burning just about any oil
                      that doesn't vaporize at room temperature (gasoline, white gas,
                      unleaded, etc should NOT be used with a wicked lamp! - thems fuels is
                      for pressurized lanterns with mantles).

                      People with far less access to power tools than you have have been
                      making lamps that burn bio-fuels for, well... forever. And you can
                      make oil out of seeds you wouldn't eat (got a lot of palm trees on yer
                      place?-) But if you're buying vegetable oil, at least stuff that's
                      fit for human consumption, it can be pretty expensive compared to
                      petroleum products. On the other hand, I don't think many of us have
                      the resources to refine petroleum in our plans. People have been
                      pressing oil into their diets ever since they first settled down.

                      Judy of the Woods, has a nice site w/ instructions:
                      http://www.judyofthewoods.net/lamp.html

                      I imagine that you've seen this site before, if not this particular
                      "instructable":
                      http://www.instructables.com/id/Glass-Bottle-Oil-Lamp/

                      A chimney will greatly improve the efficiency of your lamp, whatever
                      the fuel is.
                    • Buckshot
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008
                        Dennis,

                        Aladdin is a particular brand of lamp that uses a wick AND a mantle.

                        They are expensive, but currently available from Lehman Hardware and maybe
                        others.

                        IIRC, she got guidance from Aladdin NOT to burn lamp oil in it, only pure
                        kerosene.

                        Buckshot

                        >> What type of oil should be used in old oil lamps?
                        >> At least I am guessing they are oil lamps,
                        >> I have several old lamps from my parent's very
                        >> old house and am wondering how to make them work.
                        >>
                        >> Where do you buy it?
                        >>
                        >> I also have an Aladin lamp that I bought about 30 years ago
                        >> for decoration, but am wondering what to put in it to make it
                        >> work as a light. How can I tell if I should use kerosene or Oil?
                        >>
                        >> Thanks in advance for any advise!
                        >>
                        >> Karen
                        >>

                        > It's kinda hard to say what type of fuel a particular lamp might burn
                        > from your description, photos might help. Then again you might be
                        > better off to scavenge the glass chimney and other hardware and build
                        > your own lamp to put under it.
                        >
                        > Most wicks aren't that picky about what type of liquid they wick so if
                        > it has a wick you will probably be okay burning just about any oil
                        > that doesn't vaporize at room temperature (gasoline, white gas,
                        > unleaded, etc should NOT be used with a wicked lamp! - thems fuels is
                        > for pressurized lanterns with mantles).
                        >
                        > People with far less access to power tools than you have have been
                        > making lamps that burn bio-fuels for, well... forever. And you can
                        > make oil out of seeds you wouldn't eat (got a lot of palm trees on yer
                        > place?-) But if you're buying vegetable oil, at least stuff that's
                        > fit for human consumption, it can be pretty expensive compared to
                        > petroleum products. On the other hand, I don't think many of us have
                        > the resources to refine petroleum in our plans. People have been
                        > pressing oil into their diets ever since they first settled down.
                        >
                        > Judy of the Woods, has a nice site w/ instructions:
                        > http://www.judyofthewoods.net/lamp.html
                        >
                        > I imagine that you've seen this site before, if not this particular
                        > "instructable":
                        > http://www.instructables.com/id/Glass-Bottle-Oil-Lamp/
                        >
                        > A chimney will greatly improve the efficiency of your lamp, whatever
                        > the fuel is.
                        >

                        > ------------------------------------

                        > Please check out our "experimental" forum:
                        > http://www.forum.thesurvivalists.com

                        > Groups Links

                      • jean and ellen olson
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 7, 2008
                          I am way behind in my email, because I was at an 1800's Rendevous,
                          living exactly as folks did back then. Other than spending much of
                          your time building and tending fires and cooking, it is a very
                          stress-free way to live!

                          Anyway, do NOT use "ordinary" lamp oil in Aladdin lamps! They are
                          designed for kerosine, but Aladdin now sells some deodorized kerosine
                          that will also work.

                          For the more "ordinary" lamps, kerosine is fine, but stinks a bit.
                          Lamp oils don't smell at all, or are scented, but are a heck of a lot
                          more expensive. Of course, there are also a few lamps designed to
                          burn Olive Oil. Such lamps should NOT use any other kind of fuel!

                          You can get more information on kerosine and other oil type lamps at
                          www.lehmans.com - that is Lehmans hardware in Kidron, Ohio, who
                          started out as suppliers of non-electric appliances, etc. to a local
                          Amish community but now sell all sorts of things that do not require
                          electricity to everybody.

                          Take a look at the Dietz kerosine lanterns - they give excellent light,
                          are very portable, and are relatively safe. They are also a lot
                          cheaper than many of the kerosine lamps generally used in homes!
                          I've used them, both new ones and antique ones, for over 60 years.
                          Kerosine lanterns are a very practical source of light for ordinary
                          outdoor chores, especially if you supplement them with a high powered
                          battery operated LED flash light for the times you want to see
                          something quite a distance away. (such as a predator that is trying
                          to get into your chicken house!)

                          Jean

                          in Iowa

                          By the way, NEVER leave an Aladdin lamp burning unattended! The flame
                          can get a bit too high and soot up the mantle, which rapidly then soots
                          up the chimney and the burner, and the whole lamp can catch on fire,
                          even to spilling flaming kerosine all over. Been there, done that, but
                          luckily did NOT burn the house down. And I have been using Aladdins
                          just fine for over 35 years. One of the good things to remember about
                          Survivalism is that you need to learn as much as possible from OTHER
                          people's mistakes! :-(

                          << What type of oil should be used in old oil lamps?
                          At least I am guessing they are oil lamps,
                          I have several old lamps from my parent's very
                          old house and am wondering how to make them work.

                          Where do you buy it?

                          I also have an Aladin lamp that I bought about 30 years ago
                          for decoration, but am wondering what to put in it to make it
                          work as a light. How can I tell if I should use kerosene or Oil?

                          Thanks in advance for any advise!

                          Karen>>

                        • Christopher Young
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 7, 2008
                            Dear Jean (and rest of list)
                            You know, I do own a Dietz lantern. It's a cold blast two, I think? I've
                            not put oil in it and tried it, though I will some day. I got mine at garage
                            sale.
                            I did buy some small items from Lehmans, about a year ago. Rapid
                            delivery, sent the correct items, and very fairly priced. I am a very
                            pleased customer.
                            And, I do smile while imagining the folks working in kerosene lit rooms,
                            processing orders on their non electric computers.
                            For seeing things at a distance (critters in the barn) a good filament
                            light like Mag will shine a lot farther than anything with LED. The new
                            "tactical" lights with Xenon bulbs are really great. Very short battery
                            light, but incredible light output.

                            I'm Christopher Young
                            and I approved this message.
                            .
                            .

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 8, 2008
                              Chris,

                              While I agree that a Maglite is good. I was VERY unimpressed with the Maglite LED conversions. I took the LED conversion out of my Mini Maglite almost immediately after installing it. The Xenon bulb was a lot brighter than THAT LED. If the LED conversions are all that you have tried, I can understand why you feel the Xenon is brighter. It all depends on the LED.

                              With that being said, I have to disagree about the LED lights. I have an LED flashlight from Cabela's that is the size of my mini mag, and outshines my 3 d cell Maglite. I have another LED light from Inova that runs on C cells that outshines them BOTH. It isn't as bright as my TOPS brand tactical lights, but it doesn't require multiple $1.75 each cr 123 lithium Ion batteries either. LED lights also have an absurdly long lamp life and battery life is much longer than a standard bulb as well. Yes, I have a WIDE assortment of flashlights, the most expensive of which was under $30. LA PoliceGear has tactical lights at very reasonable prices for the tops brand. They even carry one that uses either AAs or CR 123s. If you want a GOOD flashlight for a reasonable price, get an Inova Radiant 2c flashlight off of Amazon. It's light weight, roll resistant, has a lanyard loop and dust free on/off button.

                              Brian aka Lt Scrounge

                            • Buckshot
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 8, 2008
                                Brian,

                                Have you tried the purpose-built Mini-Mag LED lights? The 2 AA cell light
                                is longer than the standard Mini-Mag light due to a change in head geometry
                                so that the LED focuses better. I have not tried the three AA LED light.

                                My conversion LED head from Nite-Ize had three LEDs in it, had more than
                                adequate light, it just had no focus ability any longer.

                                Buckshot

                                > While I agree that a Maglite is good. I was VERY unimpressed with the
                                > Maglite LED conversions. I took the LED conversion out of my Mini Maglite
                                > almost immediately after installing it. The Xenon bulb was a lot brighter
                                > than THAT LED. If the LED conversions are all that you have tried, I can
                                > understand why you feel the Xenon is brighter. It all depends on the LED.
                                >
                                > With that being said, I have to disagree about the LED lights. I have
                                > an LED flashlight from Cabela's that is the size of my mini mag, and
                                > outshines my 3 d cell Maglite. I have another LED light from Inova that
                                > runs on C cells that outshines them BOTH. It isn't as bright as my TOPS
                                > brand tactical lights, but it doesn't require multiple $1.75 each cr 123
                                > lithium Ion batteries either. LED lights also have an absurdly long lamp
                                > life and battery life is much longer than a standard bulb as well. Yes, I
                                > have a WIDE assortment of flashlights, the most expensive of which was
                                > under $30. LA PoliceGear has tactical lights at very reasonable prices for
                                > the tops brand. They even carry one that uses either AAs or CR 123s. If
                                > you want a GOOD flashlight for a reasonable price, get an Inova Radiant 2c
                                > flashlight off of Amazon. It's light weight, roll resistant, has a lanyard
                                > loop and dust free on/off button.
                                >
                                > Brian aka Lt Scrounge

                                > ------------------------------------

                                > Please check out our "experimental" forum:
                                > http://www.forum.thesurvivalists.com

                                > Groups Links

                              • MICHAEL TALLENT
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 8, 2008
                                  Here is a link to one I have and it is bright. Runs on 1 cr-123 or 2 AA
                                  with the included extention tube. Switch in end cap glows in dark. I have
                                  found it in the range of $18- $25.

                                  <http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-53/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-CREE-Q5/Detail>

                                  Mike T

                                  > While I agree that a Maglite is good. I was VERY unimpressed with the
                                  > Maglite LED conversions. I took the LED conversion out of my Mini Maglite
                                  > almost immediately after installing it. The Xenon bulb was a lot brighter
                                  > than THAT LED. If the LED conversions are all that you have tried, I can
                                  > understand why you feel the Xenon is brighter. It all depends on the LED.
                                  >
                                  > With that being said, I have to disagree about the LED lights. I have
                                  > an LED flashlight from Cabela's that is the size of my mini mag, and
                                  > outshines my 3 d cell Maglite. I have another LED light from Inova that
                                  > runs on C cells that outshines them BOTH. It isn't as bright as my TOPS
                                  > brand tactical lights, but it doesn't require multiple $1.75 each cr 123
                                  > lithium Ion batteries either. LED lights also have an absurdly long lamp
                                  > life and battery life is much longer than a standard bulb as well. Yes, I
                                  > have a WIDE assortment of flashlights, the most expensive of which was
                                  > under $30. LA PoliceGear has tactical lights at very reasonable prices for
                                  > the tops brand. They even carry one that uses either AAs or CR 123s. If
                                  > you want a GOOD flashlight for a reasonable price, get an Inova Radiant 2c
                                  > flashlight off of Amazon. It's light weight, roll resistant, has a lanyard
                                  > loop and dust free on/off button.
                                  >
                                  > Brian aka Lt Scrounge

                                • Griff
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                                    And just what the h*** does this have to do with the original
                                    subject???? If you change the subject, PLEASE have the decency to
                                    change the subject line.

                                    Griff

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                                      I tried one of the single LED Night Ize (I think ) led conversions. It just wasn't bright enough to suit me so I switched it back out. I REALLY like the Inova Radiant. It appears to be a discontinued design. A buddy of mine who has Surefires and expensive lights like that tried my Inova and insisted that I find him a couple of them. I found them at a website that gave free shipping for orders over $75 so I ordered myself a second one as well. The three of them were like $78 or so.

                                      Brian