Re: [MSM] Cook Ware

  • olushola
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 31, 2008
      On Jan 31, 2008, at 6:12 PM, WJ Seidl wrote:

      > Olushola:
      > I've used Le Creuset for years. What do you need to know?
      > Best,
      > W in FL

      I just wanted people's opinions about it, as we are buying cookware.
      We are getting rid of all the plastic stuff. It seems that enamel
      over cast iron is the way to go.

    • fbngraph@earthlink.net
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 10, 2008
        The "coated" cookware went overseas for at _least_ one of two reasons. 1) it became too expensive to make it here. 2) the quality of work could not be maintained, with American workers. Sad to say, I have *seen* people paid to do jobs that want to a half a--ed one, for full pay. Here where I live, there is a handicapped bus service, run by the county. I am disabled, and can walk only a short distance (~40 feet maximum). The _front_ door of my apartment building is about _60_ feet from the curb, plus 30 feet to the front of the building. I was told _by a supervisor_ that "because the back parking lot is too small to turn the shuttle around safely, I should come to the front of the building, in the driveway. The "Shuttle" would come up the drive to pick me up." RIGHT.
        When I tried to take the shuttle, ten days ago, the driver *refused* to even enter the driveway. A phone, and a written, complaint, brought no response of any kind. Yet, my taxes still pay the salaries of both supervisor and driver. Any other business could not survive such behavior.
        If I buy a "Lodge/other brand name" item, I want the quality I _paid_ for. Otherwise, I won't buy again. If the employees of that company want to be paid for HA/incompetent work, they won't keep their jobs. They either go overseas where the employees do a good job, or the company closes. The UAW and others are finally learning that lesson.
        The other part is that casting/rough machining cookware is relatively cheap. When you add *any* kind of permanent coating, it gets very much more expensive. Two layers is a lot more than twice the cost, of _one_ layer. It has to be inspected twice, post cast/machining (not just once, but between layers), and failures cost money. If production is 1000/day, a 1% failure rate is _10_ to be scrapped.
        As to paying more direct, Lodge is a _manufacturer_, not a retail operation. They make a profit by making cookware, in quantity, and selling it to wholesalers, who sell it to (you guessed it) retailers. To sell *one* item, means an employee who does nothing but "retail" sales (accept order, get item, pack item, ship item). Of course, it costs more. "Retail" sales by Lodge is a convenience, not a right. All the costs of production are tiny per item, in quantities of ten thousand. In single quantities, it is paid for with each sale (maybe 10-100/day).
        Manufacture of a quality product is not cheap. If it were, SE Asia countries would not be the kings of production. They can make acceptable quality, at a price Americans cannot. If American workers would once again give $20/hour effort, for $20/hour pay, we could get/keep these jobs. Too many won't, and they go where the workers will. I won't pay Cadillac prices, for a Buick, with Buick quality. I will pay Mercedes/Beamer prices, for a Mercedes/Beamer, with M/B quality (or any other equivalent brand/quality). Only a fool does. That's why those brands get the prices they charge.
        WD