Re: [MSM] Fw: Realities of Being a Survivalist

  • Wes Jones
    Message 1 of 86 , Nov 30, 2007
      On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:55:10 -0500, Buckshot <buckshot@...> wrote:

      > Chris,
      >
      > If this is your post and not a repost not attributed to the proper
      > author,
      > then you need to do more research!
      >
      > There are MANY areas in the eastern states where whitetail deer could
      > well
      > sustain a small party year round.
      >
      > About 1/2 of Ohio is this way, the the SE quarter really dense in deer
      > population. You are more likely to discover herds of deer when out
      > driving
      > at night than cattle.
      >
      > I have been told that places in WV, PA and other states are this way.
      >
      > Buckshot

      As we have discussed earlier, here in west central WV we probably don't
      have the same numbers of deer as in some parts of Ohio. I do think my
      extended family could have reasonable amounts of meat from venison without
      risking wiping out the local population. On this old 200 acre farm I've
      estimated there are probably 20 to 30 deer at any given time...and that's
      a conservative estimate. There have been 5 to 7 harvested each year on
      this farm for the past several years with no indication of a population
      decline. And I know the nearest neighbor to the south (about half a
      mile) takes over ten a year among their extended family and they have been
      doing that for a lot of years.

      What could hurt an area like this is poachers who have no real incentive
      to limit what they shoot. In a tight situation I think everyone locally
      would be very aware of and down on such activity. I'd like to think so
      anyway.

      Best, wes
    • Julia Biales
      Message 86 of 86 , Dec 9, 2007
        I don't think that New York City would go that way, based on their
        population demographics and history. The great NE blackout or the Towers,
        New York didn't go feral. It didn't go feral because it's a very large
        group of very small communities living in close proximity to each other.

        When I went down to help after the Towers there were people working to make
        things better all over the place. We got discounts on hotel rooms, we
        helped as many complete strangers as we could -- it was a tragic experience
        but not a shoot-em-up video game any more than the great double ice storm
        was.

        Getting food in and out of NYC largely has to do with the restaurants, and
        those are staffed by people from other parts of the world -- largely central
        Mexico.

        We get food into NYC -- there's a major railroad spur there. Historically,
        it would seem that this would be a good place to be in crisis.

        JulieB