Re: [MSM] Survivalist Personalities Revised august 08, 2007

  • Buckshot
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
      Back through at your request with respect to anti-gun bias.

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
        Dear MMM,
        The list sure has a lot of need for improvement. I'm not sure I'm on the
        list, I'll go back and look. I'm hoping Buck will write a bit for the list,
        there are a lot of survival personalities I've missed.

        Christopher A. Young
        .
        .

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
          Having been asked "where is Chris, on this list...."; here is the answer.

          17) Stockpiled novice. This person has plenty of supplies. Often has
          racks of 30 year old wheat, and dry canned products purchased mail
          order. Hasn't cooked with any of these foods, and hasn't spent a night
          in a tent in several years. Might have an emergency kit, but hasn't
          used any of the supplies. Typically packs obscure emergency rations in
          the emergency bags. But not sure the food is good to eat.

          CY: This is me. Most of my food stored at home is dry cans of stuff, and
          well over 10 years old. I own a tent, but havn't been out overnight in many
          years. I do have first aid kits, but havn't used any of it. My emergency bag
          food is stuff that I eat, so that's a plus.

          22) Advanced Amateur. Knows some about many things, and even has some
          supplies
          and tools. But hasn't practiced very much with the equipment. So, many
          things
          don't work out right in case of a real emergency.

          CY: Yep, this is me. Just bought a Coleman lamp, and not sure how to work
          it. Fortunately, I've got enough flashlights, batteries, and propane to get
          me by until I can figure it out.

          28) The Stealth Survivalist: Well prepared, trained, stocked, supplied and
          totally ready. But never says a word to anyone. Usually a loner, usually
          male.
          Doesn't trust anyone out there in the cold, cruel world.

          CY: Some truth to this, I don't tell anyone, even my family, the extent of
          my preps. But, most of the equipment and such hasn't really been tested.

          32) Jack of all trades. Every group needs at least one of these. He or she
          is
          the person that can fix, build or make almost anything out of or with nearly
          nothing. They have the Anarchist Cook Book committed to memory and can
          usually
          scrounge everything that is needed for whatever out of junk and trash. They
          are
          not necessarily the best at anything but are invaluable as a walking talking
          resource library and knowledge font.

          CY: This is me, to some extent. Well, I'm not an anarchist, and not much
          interested in weapons. However, I am reasonably good at repairing things.

          35) The Net Nut: This guy belongs to every Survival chat room on the
          internet,
          and has Ebooks on how to do everything from whittling your own toothpick to
          making a modern version of Frankenstein's Monster. He may even have some
          Bug-Out bags and survival supplies (Y2K Kits from Walmart) but he has no
          practice! He couln't survive a single night out becuase he reads all of the
          books but has no practice. He can't even make a campfire without his Bic
          lighter and "Piney Mountain Fire Log"!

          CY: I'm not quite this bad, but I'm in this general category. Me, to spend a
          night out? Gonna be miserable.
        • BirdWalk
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
            Identifying... may not be physically able to do a major project but can do
            small ones and teach / talk most anyone willing with more than one
            functioning brain cell through about anything. Wide eclectic knowledge base
            accumulated over many years. Reasonable amount of practical application so
            would not panic dropped into about any situation but would require others
            help for long term survival.

            32) Jack of all trades. Every group needs at least one of these. He or she
            is
            the person that can fix, build or make almost anything out of or with nearly
            nothing. They have the Anarchist Cook Book committed to memory and can
            usually
            scrounge everything that is needed for whatever out of junk and trash. They
            are
            not necessarily the best at anything but are invaluable as a walking talking
            resource library and knowledge font.
          • scott91791
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
              buckshot, your observations are good but chris has hit the nail on
              the head in some respects. i think there are several that could be
              combined into one and one you may have left out. i'm talking about
              #'s 10, 16, 17, 20, 22, 25, and 29. these can be combined in one i
              know some first hand. and haveing some parts of each of those you
              might have forgotten the one who has never met a "true survivalist"
              so has no one to mentore them to get beyond these setbacks. i know of
              no one anywhere near me that i would call a survivalist so i'm
              getting the best of what i can from the internet and magazines and
              books. i know and have practised several primitive survival skills
              but i haven't had anyone show me if my results could have been
              achieved easier or if they're even good enough. and i kind of resent
              # 25.if you can't afford to stock up on medications what are you
              supposed to do? and some meds don't have a long shelf life (survival
              may involve years remember). so what do you suggest someone in those
              situations should do? i've always believed survival was about finding
              solutions to obstacles that would kill you. so what are your
              solutions? i think many would be interested.
              scott
              --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com, "Buckshot"
              <buckshot@...> wrote:

              > Chris,
              >
              > I don't think you have nearly the true number of "good" people on
              here. The
              > only "good" ones I see are 23, 28 and 32.
              >
              > Also, a lot of anti-gun bias showing here. Don't know if it is
              yours or
              > not. I do know a few LDS families and they all DO have firearms,
              both for
              > utility use and self protection. Really don't know where this bias
              is
              > coming from but think it is more than a little unrealistic!
              >
              > Buckshot

              **

              > > Please check out our "experimental" forum:
              > > http://www.forum.thesurvivalists.com

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Sheila Shepardson
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
                *Boy, can I relate....I'm doing what I can to be prepared in the best way I
                know; but, as far as the medication thing.....how about trying to find a
                physician that will help you find alternative medicine for the drugs you are
                on; and maybe even wean you from some. I have been becoming more informed
                (certainly not really knowledgeable, yet, but learning every day) about
                herbs and their healing properties. If you are on prescription meds you
                need to be careful with this; but active in your own health concerns. I
                have found several things that have worked for me. Find a good doctor who
                will help you and listen to you. You don't even have to tell him you are
                doing this to "survive". ;>)*
                *Jodaju*

                > # 25.if you can't afford to stock up on medications what are you
                > supposed to do? and some meds don't have a long shelf life (survival
                > may involve years remember). so what do you suggest someone in those
                > situations should do? i've always believed survival was about finding
                > solutions to obstacles that would kill you. so what are your
                > solutions? i think many would be interested.
                > scott
                > --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com, "Buckshot"

              • P. Henderson
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
                  It occurs to me that a couple of things have been forgotten. You have neglected to make mention, no matter how prepared you are, or how many guns you have- all is for naught if you don't have the will to survive.
                  In defense of you family, of your home and life- could you pull the trigger?
                  Can you live for months without electricity? running water? It isn't like an extened camping trip. The reality can you live on the bare minimum of what you now have, and still thrive?
                  Some people could live in a tipi in the woods and be happy as clams. There are people that would be in awful shape with no tv, no beauty shop, simple food day after day, the constant struggle of maintaining life, and making things happen.
                  just thoughts from the perspective of a 51 year old grandmother who raised 6 kids and 8 grands

                • Julia Biales
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
                    > There are people that would be in awful shape with no tv, no beauty shop,
                    simple food day after day, the constant struggle of maintaining life, and
                    making things happen.

                    Learning how to cope and even thrive in that situation is part of what must
                    be learned. Tonight's meal is Sekely goulash -- a stew based on saurkraut
                    -- preserved lactic fermented cabbage and other vegetables.
                    http://swordchefs.wordpress.com/2007/01/12/old-post-10-szekeley-gulyas/ Not
                    only can I make "real" pickles, my family will eat them. And cold
                    sour-cherry(fruit etc.) sour cream and sweet wine soup, lesco, krumplish
                    tasta, and so on. If you won't eat the food you put up, it's just bric a
                    brac.

                    Here are a few more recepes for inspiration:
                    http://www.geocities.com/hungarianrecipes/recipes.htm

                    Currently it's about freezing outside, I've got the materials for some nice
                    stir-fries and stews in mustards, coles, and chards. Our cuisine goes
                    between South of the Border and a few others, you don't have to eat the
                    exact sorts of preserved foods -- but I know I can make more pickles.

                    If there's a major problem MREs were made to be distasteful enough so that
                    young men would be willing to carry them around until quite hungry before
                    taking on a whole lot of calories and other needs in a hurry. Most people
                    in survival situations have very different needs than young soldiers at
                    war.

                    JulieB