Re: [MSM] solar cooker

  • olushola
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31 11:34 PM
      On Jul 31, 2007, at 8:27 PM, Dlamb5741@... wrote:

      > hey deb can you tell us more about making bread in the canning
      > jars i am
      > very interested in hearing about this

      These sites might also be useful:

      http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/radabaugh30.html

      http://www.phancypages.com/newsletter/ZNewsletter1390.htm

      http://www.starship-enterprises.net/Solar%20Oven/

      http://www.sulltek.com/earthship/solarcooker.html

    • faireday@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
        You can make bread in canning jars either in a solar cooker or in an oven.
        Make bread like you normally do, but use unflavored jello instead of the eggs
        if there are eggs in the recipe (like in my banana bread). Fill the jar 1/2
        full, cook. When done, immediately put the lid on and tighten on the ring.
        The heat from the bread itself vacuum seals it. It can stay on the shelf at
        least 6 months to a year. It's called jar bread. You can find more about
        it online. You can do the same thing with cake (use jello instead of eggs).

        Best Regards,

        Deb

      • SILVERCRONE
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
          HOW MUCH JELLO DO YOU USE IN PLACE OF THE EGGS
          TIA
          SC

          faireday@... wrote:
          You can make bread in canning jars either in a solar cooker or in an oven.
          Make bread like you normally do, but use unflavored jello instead of the eggs
          if there are eggs in the recipe (like in my banana bread). Fill the jar 1/2
          full, cook. When done, immediately put the lid on and tighten on the ring.
          The heat from the bread itself vacuum seals it. It can stay on the shelf at
          least 6 months to a year. It's called jar bread. You can find more about
          it online. You can do the same thing with cake (use jello instead of eggs).

          Best Regards,

          Deb

          Please check out our "experimental" forum:
          http://www.forum.thesurvivalists.com

          I'M VISUALLY IMPAIRED.I WRITE IN ALL CAPS
          I LOVE MY COMPUTER.ALL MY FRIENDS LIVE HERE.
          SO DO MY ENEMIES,BUT I DELETE THEM LOL

        • faireday@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
            Unfortunately, I'm not at home to check, but I believe it's one tsp. per
            egg.

            Note - use a flat sided jar, because if the jar tapers in at the mouth, you
            will be eating the bread/cake with a fork out of the jar (which is not a bad
            thing ; ). If the sides of the jar are flat and you use a little butter or
            oil on the insides, the bread/cake will slide out. I make up cake this way
            and keep canned frosting on hand. It's a quicky dessert.