Re: Normal ? thoughts. Lawnmower sharpener

  • michaelkaer
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hi folks.

      As some of you know, I work at a old bookstore. I read old popular
      mechanics and popular science from the 50' and 60's that have ads in
      them for a jig that you set up on your workbench to sharpen the
      manual lawnmower. I can not remember which issue, but I will look
      into it it next friday and saturday. I may end up buying the box from
      jim if he will part with them, there is alot of good information in
      those old books and magazines. I have someold magizines at home I am
      going to go through as well to see if I can spot that ad. Wish me
      luck.

      Michael J. Kaer in Canada
      Author of "What Money Can't Buy"

      --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com, "Harvey Flatbush"
      <harvf@...> wrote:

      > I haven't sat down with the lawnmower in front of me to figure the
      details yet but what it would amount to would be a sliding
      contraption mounted to the front of your workbench that the lawnmower
      would clamp into. It would have to clamp in so the wheels would turn
      freely. The blade adjustments would have to be adjusted so the reel
      would rotate free of the bottom blade. The slide unit could be
      mounted to a pair of good grade drawer slides which are also mounted
      to the workbench so it would slide to the left and right easily. Then
      you would need a framework that is above your lawnmower when it is
      clamped into your sliding jig. The framework has to be long enough
      that it clears the full travel of the slide when mounted to the
      bench. There is a thick nylon product called nylotron. You would need
      a small block of it or a strong wearing plastic that fastens to the
      under side of the cross member of the frame above the lawnmower. The
      nylon (spelling) or plastic block would have a notch in it so one of
      the blades not being ground at the moment would slide forth and back
      in the notch. The bench grinder would be against a convenient blade
      and as the carriage is slid forth and back, the blade riding in the
      stationary slot would cause the reel to turn just the right amount
      from one end to the other to keep the blade being sharpened evenly
      against the grinding wheel. This is just a rough description and
      there might have to be some adjustments before everything works
      smoothly.

      > If you read the above slowly and visualize it as you read, you
      should be able to understand what I said. If there are any tooling
      engineers on the list that can better describe what I have said or
      have a better idea, go to it.
      snip
      > Harvey

      snip
    • Blueduck
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2007
        Since the interest in reel mowers came up recently as i was persuing
        a catalog recently sent to me, www.planetnatural.com has several reel
        mowers including a couple to cut bermuda grass and Zoysia grass as
        well all for a fairly reasonable prices... even the electric model
        for $365 is not a bad deal. They have a sharpening kit for $18 too

        http://www.planetnatural.com/site/search_engine.html?show_all=1&criteria=reel%20mower

        So i suspect there are a few places out there that have both mowers
        and sharpening kits for "reel people" I just have not pushed one
        around for a few years.

        William
        Central Idaho republik