Re: (fwd) The Impending World Oil Shortage

  • Bax
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
      They have methods to determine how large an underground deposit of
      oil is. I forget the name, but I believe it involves blasting
      soundwaves into the ground and interpreting the return data.
      Otherwise, how would they know oil was there in the first place?

      --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@y..., Jeffrey Schwartz <jeffrey-
      schwartz@h...> wrote:
      > Alright, this kinda confuses me.
      >
      > If the resource isn't currently developed, how do you know how much
      is there?
      > From what I understand, they haven't even drilled exploratory wells
      in the
      > new Alaskan areas...
      >

      > At 01:43 AM 10/1/2001 -0000, you wrote:
      > >I believe that the theory is that growing demand will far outreach
      > >production. This takes into account of development of all known
      > >resources, even those not currently developed.

    • Bax
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
        I believe around 60% here. Gotta love the government.

        schwartz@h...> wrote:
        > At 02:26 AM 10/1/2001 -0000, you wrote:
        > >Can someone check my lousy math on this?
        > >
        > >Gas here is .54 cents a liter.
        > >
        > >1 gallon (US liq.) = 3.784296607113191 liters.
        > >
        > >1 CDN dollar = 1.577 US dollars.
        > >
        > >That makes our gas approx $3.20 US a gallon?
        > >
        > >Shoulda paid more attention in Math class.
        > >

        > Yeah, that's about right.
        >
        > Do you know how much of that is taxes?
      • Tessa
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
          .54, wow here it runs about .82 while communities all around us, outside a
          reasonable driving range, say 3 hours away are in the 70 odd cent range.
          Someone was asking about what percentage was tax don't know but it's high,
          and the feds have a sliding scale so if the price of gas goes up so does the
          tax. Funny the government can standarize the price of beer across the entire
          country but won't do anything about gas, and the price of a barrel of oil
          goes up and gas prices go up within minutes or so it seems, but the price
          goes down and they say so. Prices go up as a holiday weekend approaches, but
          of course the two aren't related, yah right! All our gas is brought in by
          truck so they claim transportation costs but places like Kenora and Dryden
          have their's trucked in too and gas is cheaper. Just an odd game someone is
          playing.
        • Jeffrey Schwartz
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
            Mmmm...

            Good point. I bow to your superior thinking.

            At 11:48 AM 10/1/2001 -0000, you wrote:
            >They have methods to determine how large an underground deposit of
            >oil is. I forget the name, but I believe it involves blasting
            >soundwaves into the ground and interpreting the return data.
            >Otherwise, how would they know oil was there in the first place?
            >

            >--- In misc_survivalism_moderated@y..., Jeffrey Schwartz <jeffrey-
            >schwartz@h...> wrote:
            >> Alright, this kinda confuses me.
            >>
            >> If the resource isn't currently developed, how do you know how much
            >is there?
            >> From what I understand, they haven't even drilled exploratory wells
            >in the
            >> new Alaskan areas...
            >>

            >> At 01:43 AM 10/1/2001 -0000, you wrote:
            >> >I believe that the theory is that growing demand will far outreach
            >> >production. This takes into account of development of all known
            >> >resources, even those not currently developed.

            >Group webpage:

          • Jeffrey Schwartz
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
              Or Else.

              At 11:49 AM 10/1/2001 -0000, you wrote:
              >I believe around 60% here. Gotta love the government.
              >

              >> Do you know how much of that is taxes?
            • Mitch McKee
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                They can legislate to their heart's content, but if people won't buy 50 mpg
                gasoline powered vehicles because they are about the size of a covered
                motorcycle then it's not going to work. What needs to be done is development
                of engines that run on LP or natural gas. These already exist and are in use
                of fork trucks everywhere. There seems to be no shortage of natural gas or
                propane. The advantage of this is that the technology is here and now and
                only requires a bit of tweaking to apply to personal transportation
                vehicles.

                Strider

                > I read that full production in Alaska would only
                > supply 5 years worth of oil--yet, legislation
                > requiring 10 mpg better fuel efficiency would give us
                > double that.

                ***snip***
              • Jeffrey Schwartz
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                  This is a popular modification for Land Rover owners in Britan - if the LR
                  mag's I've read are any indication.

                  I wouldn't mind getting such a kit myself :)

                  At 09:33 AM 10/1/2001 -0400, you wrote:
                  >They can legislate to their heart's content, but if people won't buy 50 mpg
                  >gasoline powered vehicles because they are about the size of a covered
                  >motorcycle then it's not going to work. What needs to be done is development
                  >of engines that run on LP or natural gas. These already exist and are in use
                  >of fork trucks everywhere. There seems to be no shortage of natural gas or
                  >propane. The advantage of this is that the technology is here and now and
                  >only requires a bit of tweaking to apply to personal transportation
                  >vehicles.
                  >
                  >Strider
                • Northern Lady
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                    we are at 93.9 for the cheap stuff here in my town
                    NorthernLady
                    >From: "Tessa" <puppycat@...>
                    >To: <misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: Re: [misc_survivalism_moderated] Re: (fwd) The Impending World Oil
                    >Shortage
                    >Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 07:59:44 -0400
                    >
                    >.54, wow here it runs about .82 while communities all around us, outside a
                    >reasonable driving range, say 3 hours away are in the 70 odd cent range.
                    >Someone was asking about what percentage was tax don't know but it's high,
                    >and the feds have a sliding scale so if the price of gas goes up so does
                    >the
                    >tax. Funny the government can standarize the price of beer across the
                    >entire
                    >country but won't do anything about gas, and the price of a barrel of oil
                    >goes up and gas prices go up within minutes or so it seems, but the price
                    >goes down and they say so. Prices go up as a holiday weekend approaches,
                    >but
                    >of course the two aren't related, yah right! All our gas is brought in by
                    >truck so they claim transportation costs but places like Kenora and Dryden
                    >have their's trucked in too and gas is cheaper. Just an odd game someone is
                    >playing.

                  • Jeffrey Schwartz
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                      Is that 93.9 per gallon or per liter?

                      At 04:16 PM 10/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:

                      >we are at 93.9 for the cheap stuff here in my town
                      >NorthernLady
                      >>From: "Tessa" <puppycat@...>
                      >>To: <misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com>
                      >>Subject: Re: [misc_survivalism_moderated] Re: (fwd) The Impending World Oil
                      >>Shortage
                      >>Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 07:59:44 -0400
                      >>
                      >>.54, wow here it runs about .82 while communities all around us, outside a
                      >>reasonable driving range, say 3 hours away are in the 70 odd cent range.
                      >>Someone was asking about what percentage was tax don't know but it's high,
                      >>and the feds have a sliding scale so if the price of gas goes up so does
                      >>the
                      >>tax. Funny the government can standarize the price of beer across the
                      >>entire
                      >>country but won't do anything about gas, and the price of a barrel of oil
                      >>goes up and gas prices go up within minutes or so it seems, but the price
                      >>goes down and they say so. Prices go up as a holiday weekend approaches,
                      >>but
                      >>of course the two aren't related, yah right! All our gas is brought in by
                      >>truck so they claim transportation costs but places like Kenora and Dryden
                      >>have their's trucked in too and gas is cheaper. Just an odd game someone is
                      >>playing.

                      >Group webpage:

                    • Northern Lady
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                        per litre
                        makes it expensive to put some aside :)
                        NorthernLady

                        >From: Jeffrey Schwartz <jeffrey-schwartz@...>
                        >To: misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [misc_survivalism_moderated] Re: (fwd) The Impending World
                        >Oil Shortage
                        >Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 12:20:56 -0400
                        >
                        >Is that 93.9 per gallon or per liter?
                        >
                        >At 04:16 PM 10/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                        > >
                        > >we are at 93.9 for the cheap stuff here in my town
                        > >NorthernLady
                        > >>From: "Tessa" <puppycat@...>
                        > >>To: <misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com>
                        > >>Subject: Re: [misc_survivalism_moderated] Re: (fwd) The Impending World
                        >Oil
                        > >>Shortage
                        > >>Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 07:59:44 -0400
                        > >>
                        > >>.54, wow here it runs about .82 while communities all around us, outside
                        > >>reasonable driving range, say 3 hours away are in the 70 odd cent range.
                        > >>Someone was asking about what percentage was tax don't know but it's
                        >high,
                        > >>and the feds have a sliding scale so if the price of gas goes up so does
                        > >>the
                        > >>tax. Funny the government can standarize the price of beer across the
                        > >>entire
                        > >>country but won't do anything about gas, and the price of a barrel of
                        >oil
                        > >>goes up and gas prices go up within minutes or so it seems, but the
                        >price
                        > >>goes down and they say so. Prices go up as a holiday weekend approaches,
                        > >>but
                        > >>of course the two aren't related, yah right! All our gas is brought in
                        >by
                        > >>truck so they claim transportation costs but places like Kenora and
                        >Dryden
                        > >>have their's trucked in too and gas is cheaper. Just an odd game someone
                        >is
                        > >>playing.

                        > >Group webpage:

                      • Jeffrey Schwartz
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                          Good Golly Miss Molly!

                          (I'm trying to cut back on profanity.)

                          So you're paying something like $2.36USD per gallon.

                          Expensive to put some aside, heck, it makes it expensive to get _any_!

                          That's gotta be a USD/Gallon more taxes than we pay.
                          Hmmm... Figure 20 gallons a week, is about $1000 a year extra.

                          Do they send you a "thank you" note at the end of the year?

                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                            LOL no to the thank you note LOL .... we try to ride our bikes in the
                            summer, and snowshoe around in the early winter, but we still spend about
                            $200.00 per month on gas for the van.