Has anyone tried this?

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
      I would like to know several things actually, I would like to use a
      large 27 series deepcycle battery conected to a 12v power inverter and
      then plug a 2amp trickle chrger into the inverter to inturn recharge
      the battery. Will this work? how long would it last? and should I also
      include a solar charger?
    • Jason Costarakis
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
        I am no expert on 110v ac battery fed systems, but why would you run a
        charger back through the inverter? If you are setting up a system like
        they use on boats it makes sense, but there the "inverter" is a power
        management system with bank separators & a lot more. If you are talking
        about plugging the charger into the inverter and hooking it back up to the
        battery, that is a loosing closed loop that will just consume power in the
        double conversion. Every time you convert power it uses energy, thats why
        100% solar/battery houses tend to use more 12v dc components from what I
        understand.

        Jason

        At 10:18 AM 11/1/2005, you wrote:
        >I would like to know several things actually, I would like to use a
        >large 27 series deepcycle battery conected to a 12v power inverter and
        >then plug a 2amp trickle chrger into the inverter to inturn recharge
        >the battery. Will this work? how long would it last? and should I also
        >include a solar charger?

      • Bruce Conklin
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
          --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com, "Dave"
          <akaarizona@y...> wrote:

          > I would like to know several things actually, I would like to use a
          > large 27 series deepcycle battery conected to a 12v power inverter and
          > then plug a 2amp trickle chrger into the inverter to inturn recharge
          > the battery. Will this work? how long would it last? and should I also
          > include a solar charger?

          Let's see, you're going to hook the battery to a recharger so that it
          can.....recharge itself? A perpetual motion machine!

          Sorry, this won't work. Power loss in the inverter and in the charger
          would return less power to the battery than it delivered to run the
          appliances. The battery would discharge, rather slowly but it would
          discharge.

          "Sacramento" Bruce Conklin
        • groups, freeman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
            A curious question...

            Dave wrote:

            >I would like to know several things actually, I would like to use a
            >large 27 series deepcycle battery conected to a 12v power inverter and
            >then plug a 2amp trickle chrger into the inverter to inturn recharge
            >the battery. Will this work?

            No is the correct answer, I think. (Define "work"...)

            Your battery will slowly deplete, and will be depleting more quickly
            than if you had left /nothing/ attached to it. It'd sure look neat tho.

            There are loses involved at the inverter (best efficiency would be about
            80% if the inverter was about a 75W max output) as well as the charger.
            I'd speculate you'd lose about 33% total (33% is a nice easy number
            here)...

            So say your 12V battery puts out 3A (=36W) into the inverter and you're
            putting back in 2A from the charger - there's your losses - 33%, aka 1A.

            So your setup looks like a 1A load, net. If your series 27 batt is 100Ah
            in capacity then...

            >how long would it last?

            100 hours, if you wish to run your nice lead-acid down to 0%. Better to
            run it no lower than 50% of rated capacity and thus you'd get 50 hours.

            >and should I also
            >include a solar charger?

            Nay, not "also" ... try "instead", instead.

            The circular inverter-charger setup you described makes no sense. Buy
            none of that stuff and just get the solar panels and a charge
            controller. Your battery will thank you.

            scott; canada
          • Jean and Ellen Olson
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
              Either I misunderstand, or you are attempting a perpetual motion
              machine thing. IOW, you have a 12 volt battery which drives an
              inverter which gives you 110/120 volts AC. So far so good. Then you
              want to put a trickle charger on the battery. WHERE IS THE TRICKLE
              CHARGER GETTING ITS AC???? If it is coming off commercial power, OK.
              If it is coming from that self same invertor, it just plain won't do
              anything but slowly and surely totally discharging the battery.

              IF you have a solar charger working as a trickle charger, that will
              charge the battery IF YOU DON"T HAVE THAT DRATTED INVERTER RUNNING ALL
              THE TIME!!!! Most inverters draw SOME current all the time, whether
              they have a "load" plugged into them or not.

              Jean

              On Nov 1, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Dave wrote:

              > I would like to know several things actually, I would like to use a
              > large 27 series deepcycle battery conected to a 12v power inverter and
              > then plug a 2amp trickle chrger into the inverter to inturn recharge
              > the battery. Will this work? how long would it last? and should I also
              > include a solar charger?

              > Survivalism
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > ▪  Visit your group "misc_survivalism_moderated" on the web.

              > Service.

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
                <akaarizona@y...> wrote:

                > I would like to know several things actually, I would like to use a
                > large 27 series deepcycle battery conected to a 12v power inverter and
                > then plug a 2amp trickle chrger into the inverter to inturn recharge
                > the battery. Will this work? how long would it last? and should I also
                > include a solar charger?

                You answered my question, Work not as in work energy produced but in
                general will it work, so the battery and solar charger will work
                better because there would be no charging draw and I could use the 2a
                charger plugged into a standard outlet for kicks.
              • Charles Stevens
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
                  It's an ammusing idea. However, the overall effect would be to kill
                  the battery faster. Each of those (charger, and inverter) produce
                  heat. So, the effect would be to make the room warm, and the battery
                  dead.

                  Solar charger is a good idea. And also good idea is to use a trickle
                  charger from the house power while the electric is on.
                  .
                  Charles H. Stevens
                  .
                  .

                  I would like to know several things actually, I would like to use a
                  large 27 series deepcycle battery conected to a 12v power inverter and
                  then plug a 2amp trickle chrger into the inverter to inturn recharge
                  the battery. Will this work? how long would it last? and should I also
                  include a solar charger?

                  Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home
                  page
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/UepolB/TM

                  Yahoo! Groups Links