Re: The TSHTF

  • George
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2005
      Jean and Ellen Olson wrote:
      > We have, unfortunately, a small scale WTSHTF right in front of us.
      And
      > people think WE are "nuts to be preparing for a survival
      situation."

      Yeah and you can see how all the billion$ of dollars we've spent
      for "homeland security" has helped us...

      Why does the federal gooberment keep paying people to rebuild in
      areas after they get leveled?

      If a hurricane blew it away before, guess what? It'll happen again.
      If the mississippi river flooded it out a few years back, guess
      what it will do again?

      Instead, why don't they buy them out once (as opposed to bailing them
      out over and over) and make things like water sheds out of thier
      properties to help prevent the problem from re-occuring?

      For instance, we spend tons of money keeping the mississippi dredge
      out, why not deposit what we dredge on the sunken lands one section
      at a time and rebuild new orleans on ELEVATED land?

      Guess that's not the goobermental way of thinking though...

      George A.
    • LrrpScout
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
        Jean,

        Good point about learing from this example.

        Just hold on, because it's going to get a whole lot worse before it
        can get better (but I think you knew that, you do subscribe to this
        group after all ) :)

        SCHOOL'S OPEN BROTHERS AND SISTERS !

        Over half a million newly homeless, and what happens to them?

        They will have to fight with all the illegal aliens over resources
        (especially in the SouthWest), and what happens if they all start
        migrating North, East and West?

        What happens when they start , and you know they will, rioting ? How
        will they explain the massacre when the poilce and National Guard
        open fire?

        By the way, they have declared Martial Law in New Orleans.

        Gas prices are going up to $4 in the next few days, and the National
        Guard is not around, as most units are deployed to the Persian Gulf .

        This is all so damm silly and rediculous ! I expect nothing less
        from our wonderful government.

        Now might be a good time to double up on wheat berries, bullets and
        toilet paper.

        Don't you think ?

        Pete
        (AKA LrrpScout)

        > We have, unfortunately, a small scale WTSHTF right in front of
        us. And
        > people think WE are "nuts to be preparing for a survival
        situation."
        > Will any of the folks down there change their behaviour? Nope.
        They
        > will rebuild exactly the same system that could not deal with high
        > winds combined with drenching rain. It is like the refrain in the
        song,
        > "When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?"
        >
        > Jean
      • Kat
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
          This was tried back in the mid 80's and early 90's. When the big flood
          along the Mississippi caused so much damage, the offers were made to move
          entire towns several miles back from the river. A few of the towns involved
          took the offer but by far the largest number offered that chance turned it
          down. After that attempt, the concept just died out.

          Pernkat

          "If you leave the Christian Bible outside, eventually the wind and the rain
          will destroy it. My bible IS the wind and the rain." Unnamed Native
          American woman.

        • wjsvt@sover.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
            By now, it should be apparent to those of us that watch these things
            that the doom criers among us may indeed have been correct, just
            slightly off in their timing <g>.
            The government is NOT here to help, they are too busy protecting
            their own butts, practicing a "no, that's not what I said" excuse
            system for covering themselves, and the sheeple listen and believe.
            We have been consistently lied to by those in power, and yet they
            continue, even though their words are exposed for what they are.
            Yes, there are a few dedicated souls doing amazing things in N.O.
            and Biloxi, but it is going to be too little, too late. And of
            course, the boneheads in power do not want to relocate over a
            million people, so they of course will encourage them to settle
            right back where they are, ready for the NEXT time. I found it
            quite telling that the Resident (yeah, that was intentional) did not
            even leave Air Farce 1 to go see the devastation himself, just
            looked out a window as he flew by. Anyone remember Marie Antoinette
            saying "The people have no bread? Let them eat cake!"?

            Gas hit $3.40 for regular, $3.99/gallon for premium here today.
            There was a slight panic on the island as people went frantically
            from station to station, trying to find an ever-dwindling reserve.
            Four stations have already run out. More is not expected until the
            end of next week, if then, according to the station owner I spoke
            to. I saw fights break out over line places at the station, there
            was talk about stationing a police officer at each station to
            maintain order (until supplies run out.) We have only about 7
            stations here, so it would not impact the police too badly to do so.
            There is also talk about rationing. You think it was bad in '74?
            Just WAIT!

            For us here, it is not a matter of just an inconvenience, we NEED
            that gas if we are to evacuate for a storm. We've already been
            through two, one a near miss, one an eyewall pass through. I don't
            blame the sheeple for being nervous. And, now that the gas is going
            "bye-bye", if we DO have to evacuate, there are going to be more
            people stuck on the only road out of here; stuck behind someone who
            did not plan ahead, and ran out on the way.

            For myself, I continued pretty much as I always have through
            my day. I did pull a bike out of storage, oiled it and pumped up
            the tires for trips around town so I can leave the truck parked.
            It's an old balloon tire Huffy with a WIDE seat for my ever
            expanding rear end <g>. Made sure the rifle is clean, found more
            rounds for it, oiled it again.
            Tried to think of ways to cut the AC off and get a breeze blowing
            through the house naturally (it's been in the 90s here, and very
            very humid, not comfortable to sleep in), checked my supply of lamp
            oil and candles (I could use more). If the price of gas can rocket
            up that quickly, just imagine what your electric bill is going to do
            when the fuel adjustment is calculated, and food costs (from
            transportation) and the price of ANYTHING made with oil.
            As I sat the spray can down on top of the (full) 55 gallon drum I
            keep in the carport, I thought about what I paid for it, and what
            it's worth now...and I smiled. My neighbors think it's cleaning
            chemical (therefore worthless to them)

            For now, I'll stay here. I'm in no apparent danger, food supplies
            won't run out that fast (and I'm set there for about a month), and
            there are always fish to be caught, fruit to be eaten, food can be
            grown. In that we are blessed. We have a good climate to grow year
            round food. I picked a pineapple that was ready, that's breakfast
            tomorrow with my cereal.

            I hope it does not come to that, and I hope you are all preparing.
            It is going to be a rough winter in many parts of the country.
            Stay safe, friends.
            All my best,
            Wayne
            Key West FL
          • Kat
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
              They had one survivalist on the news tonight. When they came to "rescue"
              them, he said, that the roof didn't leak and the second floor was fine.
              They have enough for a couple of months, and everything is under control. I
              was beginning to wonder where the smart ones were. I heard from my sister
              that their goat club (Boar Goats) is taking two trucks and people down to
              help but the farms down their aren't leaving. Again, they have milk from
              the goats, and if they run out of food, they can kill one of the goats.
              Their friends are coming to them first with the truck of building materials
              and will take the food to locals who aren't as well situated. I have
              several friends that have gotten the word out that they are fine and sitting
              tight. I hope that they keep a low profile as I do worry about the guy they
              put on the news. Hope he is armed. I too am cutting my driving back to
              absolutely necessary.

            • Michael
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 18, 2005
                --- Kat <pernkat@...> wrote:

                > This was tried back in the mid 80's and early 90's.
                > When the big flood
                > along the Mississippi caused so much damage, the
                > offers were made to move
                > entire towns several miles back from the river. A
                > few of the towns involved
                > took the offer but by far the largest number offered
                > that chance turned it
                > down. After that attempt, the concept just died
                > out.
                >
                > Pernkat

                If they had moved out of harm's way, it would have
                ruined their chances to reap the rewards of future
                relief.

                http://mail.yahoo.com