Re: [MSM] Talk about TEOTWAWKI - Firestorms

  • raysosc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
      In a message dated 10/31/2003 8:18:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, Ronald.H.Levine@... writes:

      > I like the idea caching for preparedness. Even at home it has great merit.
      Containers:
      It's weak spot is corrosion of the lid, so coat the lid and lip of glass around the lid with urethane sealant and let it cure before burying it.>

      No one else has thought of it or possibly uses it, but I like
      hot melt glue as a sealant for many things and as a repair
      material for others. I once used clear hot glue to reatatch a
      button on my shirt before an important meeting as i had no
      time to go home and change.
      I keep 3 glue guns available with clear, the least used,
      white for caulking types of jobs, and the brown fiber
      filled glue for most everything. Seals watertight and can
      be peeled off with a knife.

      I buy the comercial lengths of sticks for about $20 per case
      of 100 and they last a long time.

      ray
    • Harvey Flatbush
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2003
        On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:05:31 -0800 (PST), J P wrote:
        >�I'd say at least 4 feet would be enough insulation. �Also, big PVC
        >�containers would make for great waterproofing and frost, but if
        >�they are under the ground that would likely guard against fire.
        >
        >�Norma Shaw <ns1d@...>�wrote:
        >�Wow.
        >
        >�Wow, wow, and wow - is it safe to come out yet?
        >
        >�Geoff, thank you so much for such incredible information and help -
        >�I
        >�immediately forwarded it all to those of my family in Los Angeles.
        >�Thank
        >�you.
        >
        >�Just before the California fires took all my attention, this group
        >�was
        >�discussing various places to stash a cache. Now that those people
        >�are
        >�returning to their homes, I especially wondered if you couldn't
        >�just bury
        >�preps somewhere on your property? Chances are the danger - no
        >�matter what -
        >�would pass soon enough and when you return, you'd have what you
        >�need right
        >�there.
        >
        >�Question: how deep should it be to best protect it down there? What
        >�about
        >�waterproofing? Fireproofing? Frostproofing? Disguising it?
        >
        >�Anybody?
        >
        >�Norma

        Hi Norma, as for disguising something you have buried, put it deep enough so that you can layer two or three layers of scrap metal on top of it but still underground. Anybody with a metal detector can find it but with all the scrap on top of it the metal detector will detect it and they will start digging that up only to discover it is scrap and probably move on. Below is a post I received on another list during the y2k incident that never happened.

        Harvey

        --------
        i dug up my cache today after 3 years and i found....
        well lets start at the begining
        it was septmember with y2k looming on the horizion

        i dont intend to bug out ,but i do have a fall back position in
        centeral louisiana .i took a 4 foot long pc of pvc pipe and two end caps , i cleaned up both ends of the pipe good and i glued one end on and let it sit over night

        the next morning i put some plastic bags in the bottom of the tube , to give the water a place to drain to about 4 inches when compressed.i took a bunch of boxes of .22 ammo , ak ammo on stripper clips and shot gun shells and put them in the tube , i filled the top 2" with discant packs , then i blew hot air in the tube from a hair dryer. after about 10 min , i glued the top cap on .

        i placed them in a spot i stumbled on doing a cross country map and compass hike one day. it is a small rise about 5 ft above the surrounding land , the soil has a lot of sand in it so it was pretty easy to dig with a shovel and a post hole digger . i put the tube in the hole and then put several inches of dirt back on top of the tube.

        then i placed a sqashed coke can on top of that , several more inches of dirt and a sqashed coke can . until the hole was filled , then i took a branch and smoothed the ground out and went about 20 ft away and got a bunch of leaves and scattered them around the area , you couldnt tell i had been there.
        well i went and dug it up , it came out pretty easy everything was as i put it in , the next time i will put a rope around the tube to help pull it out of the ground.

        i put in my truck went back filled my hole back in and re camofluaged the area, i intend to reuse this spot .

        i got the tube home and cut it open , it was bone dry , even the russian ak ammo was not tarnished, the shot gun shells and .22 ammo all looks great , so i will put all the ammo in bags and vacum pack them this time , and then put them all back in the ground ..

        i must admitt i was worried about finding a rusted mess in there but it worked good ..

        i know some people will want to use a thread plug on one end , but i would rather have my stuff sealed better from the weather and have to cut the top off .
        "The denizens in these woods are NOT tame.travelers are advised to stay on the road,as there remains will not be returned to ther next of kin ." glory road -R.heinlein

        Wod
        Registered User
        (9/4/02 6:18:55 am)
        Reply Re: 3 yrs underground ..cache retrieved
        Great post! I've tried glue and grease seals and I'll stick with glue.
        "Shall not be infringed!"

        sear
        Registered User
        (9/4/02 7:32:42 am)
        Reply Re: 3 yrs underground ..cache retrived
        What's the purpose of the squashed coke cans?

        It may not be a significant risk, but there may be some risk of some dude waltzing by with a metal detector, looking for treasure. I have, while camping, encountered precisely that.
        If you're on your own well guarded land that may be totally no problem, but if it's on State & or park land ...

        If the can is a marker, would you consider triangulation instead?

        If you scribe an arc at some practical distance (15', instead of 17' 3 and 15/64ths inches) from two distinctive trees about 20' apart, and make the burial site at what ever point those arcs intersect, the squashed coke can vulnerability may go away.

        I understand the contents of the storage tube may trigger the metal detector anyway, if s/he gets a direct hit. But I assume the "inverse square rule" applies there, so even if s/he's off by a few feet; that along with the depth of the bury may combine to help avoid detection.

        Worthless decoys (bottle caps) may further discourage intrusion, though that's a gamble.
        for dialogue on Ethics or Politics, visit: The Round Table

        Dan
        Registered User
        (9/4/02 7:53:58 am)
        Reply Re: 3 yrs underground ..cache retrived
        I kinda thought the soda cans were for metal detectors.
        "And I realize that the people that I've known and the places that I've flown are all just part of the matrix of my mind."

        stalk
        Moderator
        (9/4/02 8:54:37 am)
        Reply Re: 3 yrs underground ..cache retrived
        the soda cans were for the metal detectors i figured after they dug up the first few ,they would go on there way , also easier to find the right spot to dig...
        "The denizens in these woods are NOT tame.travelers are advised to stay on the road,as there remains will not be returned to ther next of kin ." glory road -R.heinlein

        ________________________________
        "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
        By Edmund Burke

        _____________
        Harvey Flatbush
        harvf@...
        on 11/1/2003
      • Harvey Flatbush
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2003
          On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 00:07:22 -0500, raysosc@... wrote:
          > In a message dated 10/31/2003 8:18:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          Ronald.H.Levine@... writes:

          <snip>

          > I buy the comercial lengths of sticks for about $20 per case
          > of 100 and they last a long time.
          >
          > ray
          Hi Ray, Those glue sticks you buy by the case, are they the ten inch or four inch sticks?
          I use quite a few also. I save large cardboard cartons and have patterns for cutting them down to make smaller storage cases so they are all uniform in size and stack nicer. Then I label what's in them plus I number each box and index them in my puter. When I'm looking for something, I find it in the puter and it tells me what box it's in.

          Could you tell me where you get them.

          Thanks,

          Harvey
          ________________________________
          "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
          By Edmund Burke

          _____________
          Harvey Flatbush
          harvf@...
          on 11/4/2003
        • raysosc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2003
            In a message dated 11/4/2003 6:14:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            harvf@... writes:
            Hi Ray, Those glue sticks you buy by the case, are they the ten inch or four
            inch sticks?
            I use quite a few also. I save large cardboard cartons and have patterns for
            cutting them down to make smaller storage cases so they are all uniform in
            size and stack nicer. Then I label what's in them plus I number each box and
            index them in my puter. When I'm looking for something, I find it in the puter
            and it tells me what box it's in.
            Could you tell me where you get them.

            The brown glue sticks are 12 inches long, 1/2 inch diameter. Bought some
            5 boxes at viking freight about 4 years ago and still have a full one left.
            The box is marked 3M.

            ray