Fw: The Original Throw-Away Camping Equipment

  • Chris Young
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2001
      The Original

      Throw-Away Camping Equipment

      by Marty Simon

      What piece of camping equipment can be found just about anywhere in
      the world, even underwater, is free, can be used for many different
      purposes, is almost indestructible and when you are finished with it,
      can be thrown away. If you guessed rocks (stones) you are right.

      Have you ever thought of all the things you can do with them? Well
      for one thing, they make a great fire ring for your campsite. Also
      you can find a nice flat rock and use it as a griddle. Rocks can be
      heated in a fire and placed into containers to boil water. Early man
      used Birch Bark containers for this purpose. A small round rock that
      is heated in a fire and placed into several socks will give off heat
      inside a sleeping bag most of the night. In really severe cold,
      rocks can be heated and lined in a slight depression in the ground,
      covered with browse and slept on.

      In a survival situation rocks make a great weight for a deadfall
      trap. Also in a stream, rocks can be used to build fish traps. Some
      rocks will even produce a spark which will give you a fire. Hammers,
      axes and even knives can be made out of rocks. They can even be used
      as a weapon. Also, don't forget how well they work in a sling shot
      or catapult.

      While on a fishing trip a good trick is to place a rock which has
      been in cool water in with your worms. The heat really dries them
      out but the cool rock will revive them and keep your worm wiggling.

      When heating rocks in a fire always be sure to use dry rocks. Never
      use rocks from a stream as these can contain water and can explode
      when heated. Always make sure to use hard rocks, never sandstone.

      Well by now you get the idea that rocks can be really useful and I've
      just mentioned a few ways to use them. I better end this soon as my
      lantern is starting to flicker and I'm having trouble seeing what
      I've already wrote. Oh, by the way, if you find a nice round rock
      you can always bring it home. They make great paper weights or door
      stops. And if you get tired of using the rocks it's okay to just
      throw them away. They can be recycled.