Re: Substitute for steel wool

  • Graham Povey
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2001
      A good method. Because I only need small quantities, I do mine in a cast
      iron pan on top of the stove so I can see when it's done. I like the shoe
      polish tin method for the field though.

      Graham
      Reality is whatever refuses to go away when
      I stop believing in it - Philip K. Dick

      Bonnie,

      The best method for making charcloth is to get an empty shoe polish
      can and punch a small hole (or drill one) through the lid and side
      simultaneously, so when you put the lid on there should be an 1/8"
      hole through the side so the gasses can escape through it. (I hope
      this makes sense). Then, what you do is cut some 2" x 2" pieces of old
      levis and place them inside the can. Mkae sure you line the holes up
      so smoke can escape, and throw the whole thing into a fire. Smoke will
      fly out the hole in the side....when the smoke starts to dissipate,
      remove the can from the fire and let cool. (It's best not to ahve a
      very hot fire for this....you dont want the cloth to burn up
      completely, but to blacken...it holds a good spark when done properly)
      A nice thing about the can is that you can twist the lid so the holes
      don't line up to seal out water....works good for holding charcloth
      pieces also.

      Dragonfly