Re: [MSM] Fwd: [MSD] Friday Hash - white stuff

  • Bill Seward
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      I too remember reading this story years ago, and thinking that it was so
      funny--no one would stand for such shenanigans in the USA. Doesn't seem so
      funny now.

      But there is a wonderful point made at the end about Bugs Bunny. I can
      remember a few years ago when some of the PC idiots at various networks were
      taking the "violence" out of Bugs, the Roadrunner and other assorted
      cartoons. It was "bad for the children". Of course, Cartoon Network is
      running the real thing, but for how long?

      Remember "Bevis and Butthead" on MTV? Not the crap at the end, but the
      first year or two when it was hysterically funny, and fire was the
      punchline? Remember the kid's book, _Little Black Sambo_? (Find a copy of
      it now--just try.) Remember when music wasn't forced to have a sticker on
      it because the lyrics might offend some old woman? (Heck, remember when we
      called them "records"?)

      Simply surviving is one thing. I firmly believe that anyone can "survive",
      if your definition is continued existence on this earth. But who wants to
      live that way? I believe the goal should be to survive with style--you
      should be comfortable. We all have our kerosene lamps and gas stoves; we
      discuss various forms of shelter, and why? Because simply existing isn't
      what we are interested in--we want to be comfortable, to survive with style.

      Many of us have some form of alternative electricity available--PV,
      generator, minihydro or similar. So how much trouble would it be to throw
      in a TV and a DVD player? And a PC? And while we still have the technology
      available, to download as much as possible from all the P2P networks, burn
      it on DVD, VCD or CD-ROM and keep it available for the time when we have to
      be lipidleggers, cartoonleggers and bookleggers?

      *sigh* Yet another project. Who has a good deal on CDs in the Sunday
      papers...?

      Bill Seward, KG4SAQ
      http://web.northstate.net/~seward

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
        In a message dated 12/1/02 7:44:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        seward@... writes:

        << Many of us have some form of alternative electricity available--PV,
        generator, minihydro or similar. So how much trouble would it be to throw
        in a TV and a DVD player? And a PC? And while we still have the technology
        available, to download as much as possible from all the P2P networks, burn
        it on DVD, VCD or CD-ROM and keep it available for the time when we have to
        be lipidleggers, cartoonleggers and bookleggers?

        *sigh* Yet another project. Who has a good deal on CDs in the Sunday
        papers...? >>

        Fry's Electronics. Had them pretty cheap. I used to buy the Sony brand CD's
        with the jewel cases for between 15 and 20 dollars per box of 30. Now I buy
        the spindle of 50 CD's for 25 to 29 dollars and the box of 50 cases for 10
        dollars. I only use Sony branded CD's. Its a little more than TDK or the
        other asian stuff but is more reliable in my burner with less errors. My
        sister was in there yesterday and called me to let me know that they had AMD
        1800 mhz barebones sytems for $149, Pentium 4 1900mhz barebones for $190 and
        cheapo E-Machines complete systems with 128 megs memory and 30 gig drives for
        $299 all you needed was a monitor, and Windows XP is already installed. Can
        you believe it, the top chip makers are putting out 3000mhz processor chips ,
        without overclocking. I can play full length movies on my 19 inch monitor and
        have great multi media tasking using a lowly pentium 233mhz chip. Just what
        more could I do with 10X more processing power?

        ray