Re: [MSM] (fwd) Re: stone baking oven

  • groundzero
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 4:14 AM
      Mien Herr Dr.,
      We in England have been using double barrel or double drum stoves with a oven box built into the top barrel to bake bread. I have drawings for improvised field kitchen stoves that can be easily adapted for both baking & raising bread under such circumstances. Indeed, one useful adaptation can produce 150 loaves fully risen & baked every 45 minutes or so.

      It is worth noting, that the facility to bake bread has in the past been of national importance that Napoleon had the Gendamerie Nationale register EVERY commercial & institutional bakery in France, a licence condition that continues to this day - now more due to hygiene regulations than anything else!

      Limey Jim.

      >> We are planning to build a traditional baking oven (house) outside,
      >> woodfire for bread baking. So I am looking for construction maps for
      >> an ancient stone baking oven. Does anyone have any links, drawings,
      >> photos etc?

    • Joe & Connie Hooker
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 6:07 AM
        I've used that type of oven. In the winter it's GREAT--- when you aren't
        baking you can even leave the oven door open to throw more heat into your
        house. During the summer though, I wouldn't want to
        be without our outdoor horno, as baking indoors would make it so hot in
        here that we'd wind up LIVING outside!
        Joe

        > Mien Herr Dr.,
        > We in England have been using double barrel or double drum stoves with a
        oven box built into the top barrel to bake bread. I have drawings for
        improvised field kitchen stoves that can be easily adapted for both baking &
        raising bread under such circumstances. Indeed, one useful adaptation can
        produce 150 loaves fully risen & baked every 45 minutes or so.

        > It is worth noting, that the facility to bake bread has in the past been
        of national importance that Napoleon had the Gendamerie Nationale register
        EVERY commercial & institutional bakery in France, a licence condition that
        continues to this day - now more due to hygiene regulations than anything
        else!

        > Limey Jim.

      • rallain
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8 6:58 AM
          How about making the drawings etc. available to the group. I sure would
          appreciate a copy.

          > We in England have been using double barrel or double drum stoves with a
          oven box built into the top barrel to bake bread. I have drawings for
          improvised field kitchen stoves that can be easily adapted for both baking &
          raising bread under such circumstances. Indeed, one useful adaptation can
          produce 150 loaves fully risen & baked every 45 minutes or so.

        • kris book
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 8 12:15 PM
            This link will take to site with quite a few stone or brick ovens, just
            click on the pictures to get building instructions.

            http://mha-net.org/msb/html/bakeov.htm

            On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 06:58:05 -0700 "rallain" <allain@...> writes:
            > How about making the drawings etc. available to the group. I sure
            > would
            > appreciate a copy.

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.