Hasenpfeffer

  • icblood
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
      --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@y..., "northmt_top"
      <northmt_top@y...> wrote:
      > It's almost time to plant my garden again. I live in the
      > mountains of W-VA, I have alot of rabbits and squire on my
      > land, and would like to make soups and stews to can for
      > next winter, I have all the equipment needed for canning,
      > I want some fresh ideas, Tired of the same old recipes.
      > any ideas?
      > Thanks,
      > John

      Here ya go, John :)

      more rabbit recipes here:

      http://paml.alastra.com/recipes/default.html

      HASENPFEFFER

      1 rabbit
      3 cloves
      Vinegar & water
      1 Bay leaf
      1 Sliced onion
      1 Cup thick sour cream
      Butter
      Salt and pepper

      Disjoint rabbit, wash and place in crock or jar with enough vinegar
      and water in equal parts to cover. Add onion, cloves, bay leaf,
      salt and pepper to taste. Let the meat soak for 2 days. Then wipe
      dry and brown in hot butter, turning frequently. Slowly add some
      of the solution from soaking the meat to the depth of 1/4", cover
      tightly and let simmer until done (about 30 minutes). Do not allow
      to boil. Just before serving, add sour cream to the sauce.

      Hassenpfeffer 2

      rabbit
      vinegar
      2 Tbsp salt
      1 tsp mixed spices (few whole cloves, 1 bay leaf and a few
      peppercorns.)
      1 Tbsp pepper
      onion
      2 Tbsp flour
      2 tablespoons cooking fat
      1 Tbsp brown sugar
      1 cup cold water
      1 tsp cinnamon
      1/2 tsp allspice
      1/4 tsp cloves
      1 onion (chopped fine)
      1 lemon sliced thin

      Dress rabbits, wash carefully, cut in pieces for serving. Pack in
      crock, cover with vinegar to which have been added salt, mixed
      spices, pepper and 1 large sliced onion for each gallon. Set in
      cool place for 24 hours. Drain rabbit, cover with water. Boil
      until tender. Remove meat from broth; cool; strain broth. Put
      flour and cooking fat in frying pan. Add brown sugar. Cook,
      stirring constantly, until well browned. Add cold water. Cook
      until thickened. Combine rabbit, strained broth and the brown
      sauce. Add spices, chopped onion and 1 lemon sliced thin. Cover
      and simmer 1 hour.

      Hasenpfeffer 3 (Spicy Braised Rabbit)
      Yield: 4 servings

      3 lb rabbit, cut into pieces
      1/3 c flour
      1/2 c finely chopped shallots
      1 c dry red wine
      1 tb instant chicken bouillon
      10 black peppercorns,crushed
      1/4 ts dried rosemary leaves,crushe
      2 ts lemon juice
      2 tb flour
      1/2 ts salt
      1/2 lb bacon, diced
      1 clove garlic, finely chopped
      1 c water
      1 tb currant jelly
      1 small bay leaf
      1/8 ts dried thyme leaves
      3 tb water

      Sprinkle rabbit with salt. Coat with 1/3 cup flour, shake off
      excess. Fry bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp,
      remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Brown a few pieces of rabbit
      in hot bacon fat, remove browned pieces. Repeat with remaining
      rabbit. Remove all but 2 tablespoons fat.

      Cook and stir shallots and garlic in hot fat in Dutch oven until
      shallots are tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in wine, 1 cup water
      and the instant bouillon. Heat to boiling. Stir in jelly, peppercorns,
      bay leaf, rosemary and thyme. Return rabbit and bacon to Dutch
      oven. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until rabbit
      is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.

      Remove bay leaf and discard. Place rabbit on warm platter, keep
      warm while preparing gravy. Stir lemon juice into liquid in Dutch
      oven. Shake 3 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons flour in covered
      jar. Stir flour 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves in cheesecloth
      bag.

      Hasenpfeffer 4
      Yield: 4 servings

      4 lb rabbit
      1 1/2 c dry red wine
      3/4 c cider vinegar
      s salt
      freshly ground black pepper
      1 bay leaf
      1/2 c onions, chopped
      1 tb mixed pickling spice
      1/2 c flour
      4 tb butter
      1 c onions, thinly sliced
      2 tb sugar
      1/2 c sour cream

      Cut rabbit in serving-sized pieces. Wash, scrape, and soak in
      salted cold water for 1 hour. Drain and dry.

      In a glass or pottery bowl mix together the wine, vinegar, salt,
      pepper, bay leaf, chopped onions, and pickling spice. Add the rabbit
      and let marinate in the refirgerator for 3 days. Turn the pieces
      occasinally. Drain the rabbit, strain and reserve the marinade.
      Dry the rabbit with paper towels and roll in flour.

      Melt butter in a Dutch oven or deep heavy skillet, brown the rabbit
      and sliced onions in it. Pour off fat and add sugar and 1-1/2 cups
      marinade. Cover and cook over low heat 1-1/2 hours or until rabbit
      is tender. Turn the pieces occasionally and add more marinade if
      needed. Taste for seasoning. Mix the sour cream into the gravy
      just before serving.

      Hasenpfeffer 5
      Yield: 4 servings

      1 young rabbit
      1/2 cup wine vinegar
      2 cloves garlic, sliced
      1 bay leaf
      salt
      freshly ground black pepper
      6 tablespoons olive oil
      2 slices bacon, diced
      1 1/2 cups onions, sliced
      1 tablespoon flour
      1 bottle dry red wine
      1 tablespoon unsweetened chocolate, grated
      24 pearl onions
      French or Italian bread, sliced

      Have the rabbit disjointed and cleaned. Pour boiling water over
      it, scrape, rinse, and dry. In a glass or pottery bowl combine
      the vinegar, garlic, bay leaf, salt (optional, pepper, and 4
      tablespoons of the oil. Add the rabbit and marinate in the
      refrigerator for 48 hours. Drain.

      Put the bacon in a Dutch oven and cook until lightly browned. Add
      the sliced onions and cook until golden.

      Blend in flour and add rabbit. Cook 10 minutes turning the pieces
      several times. Add the wine, bring to a boil, and stir in the
      chocolate. Cover and cook over low heat 1-1/2 hours or until tender,
      add salt and pepper to taste after 1 hour. While the rabbit is
      cooking, saute the white onions in the remaining oil until golden.
      Arrange the rabbit on a hot platter with the sauteed onions and
      bread around it. Serve with noodles.

      Hasen Pfeffer 6

      1 lb rabbit, deboned
      vinegar
      water
      1 lge onion, sliced
      salt & pepper
      1 whole cloves
      1 bay leaf
      butter
      1 cup sour cream

      The rabbit meat should be placed in a jar and covered with equal
      parts of vinegar and water. Add one large sliced onion, salt and
      pepper to taste, clove and bay leaf. Let the meat soak in this
      solution for 2 days, then remove the meat and brown in hot butter,
      turning it often. Gradually add some of the sauce in which the
      meat was pickled. Let simmer until meat is tender (about 30 minutes).
      Just before serving, stir 1 cup of thick sour cream into the sauce.

      HASENPFEFFER 7
      Braised Rabbit in Spiced Red Wine Sauce

      1/2 lb bacon, finely chopped
      5-6 lb rabbit (or 2 smaller) cut in serving pieces
      1/2 t salt
      1/2 t pepper
      1/2 C flour
      1/2 C minced shallots
      1 t minced garlic
      1 C dry red wine
      1 C chicken stock
      2 T brandy
      1 t currant jelly
      1 bay leaf
      1/4 t dried rosemary
      1/2 t dried thyme
      2 t fresh lemon juice

      In a heavy 5-qt flameproof casserole dish, cook the bacon over
      moderate heat, stirring and turning it frequently, until it is
      crisp. Spread the bacon out on a double thickness of paper towels
      to drain and set the casserole with the bacon fat inside.

      Wash the rabbit quickly under cold running water and pat it thoroughly
      dry with paper towels. sprinkle the pieces with salt and pepper,
      then dip them in flour and shake off any excess. Heat the bacon
      fat in the casserole over high heat until it splutters. Add the
      rabbbit, a few pieces at a time, and brown them on all sides,
      regulating the heat so that they color quickly and evenly without
      burning. As they are done, transfer the rabbit pieces to a plate.
      Pour off all but 2 talespoons of fat from the casserole and in it
      cook the shallots and garlic, stirring frquently, for 3 or5 mins,
      or until the shallots are soft and transparent but not brown. Pour
      in the wine and stock, and bring to a boil over high heat, meanwhile
      scraping in any brown bits clinging to the bottom and sides of the
      pan., Stir in the brandy, currant jelly, bay leaf, rosemary and
      thyme, and return the rabbit and any juices collected around it to
      the casserole, Add the drained bacon, cover the casserole tightly,
      and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hrs, or until the rabbit is
      tender but not falling apart (smaller rabbits may cook faster, so
      test for tenderness after 1 hr cooking). Pick out the bay leaf,
      stir in the lemon juice and taste for seasoning. the sauce should
      be quite peppery; add more pepper, if necessary, to taste.

      Serve the rabbit directly from the casserole, or arrange the pieces
      attractively on a heated platter and pour the sauce over.

      NOTE: Traditionally, the sauce in which the rabbit is simmered is
      thickened, just before serving, with the rabbit's blood. If you
      hunt and dress your own rabbit, save the blood. Stir into it 1 or
      2 tlbs of vinegar to prevent it from clotting and refridgerate
      until ready to use. Stir the blood into the sauce after the rabbit
      is cooked, then simmer gently, stirring all the while, for 3 or 5
      minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly, Be careful not to
      let the sauce boil. Taste for seasoning and serve.

      Hare With Cream In The German Style (#9)

      saddle of hare, larded
      1/2 pint double cream
      1/4 pint sour cream
      2 oz. chopped mild onion
      2 oz. chopped carrot
      2 teaspoons wine vinegar
      red currant jelly
      1-2 glasses red wine or port

      To lard, buy a fat end of bacon, or a piece of hard back pork fat,
      and chill it well. Cut into strips about 2 inches long and 1-inch
      wide. Thread the first strip into the open end of a larding needle,
      and take a stitch into the meat, parallel to the backbone, as if
      you were sewing. The ends of fat will protrude. Continue until
      all surface is larded.

      Choose an ovenproof cooking pot that just accommodates the bare.
      First put in the vegetables, then lay the saddle on top. Pour over
      cream and vinegar, which should ideally come well up the saddle of
      hare. Roast in a moderate oven, Mark 4, 350 F, for about 3/4 hour
      or until the hare is cooked. Baste frequently with the juice. Remove
      hare to serving dish and keep warm. Strain cooking liquid into a
      heavy pan. Boil gently, adding jelly and wine to taste. This dish
      is often served with chestnut puree, but I prefer whole boiled
      chestnuts mixed with Brussels sprouts.

      Rabbit Stew #1

      1 hare (rabbit will do) jointed,
      blood from the hare/rabbit or 4oz sliced pig's liver
      1pint beef stock
      2 onions
      fresh thyme and rosemary
      2 slices brown toast sprinkled with mixed spice
      6floz red Wine

      Bouquet garni, made from:
      6 parsley stalks,
      4 cloves,
      2 blades mace

      1/4 tsp ground ginger
      salt to taste
      1tbsp red wine vinegar

      Discard the foot joints and any flaps of skin. Separate the flesh
      from the rib-cage. Put the meat in a stew-pan with the blood (or
      liver) and all the stock, and cook gently for 15 or so minutes.
      Meanwhile, peel and chop the onions, chop the thyme and rosemary
      and steep the toast in the wine.

      Remove the meat from the pan and strain the stock, discarding the
      liver if used. Rinse the meat in cold water. Return the stock to
      the pan with the onions, herbs and spice bundle. Stir in the soaked
      toast and wine, lastly add the meat with the rib-cage on top.
      Cover and cook gently for 2 hours, until the meat is tender.

      Just before serving, blend the ginger and salt into the vinegar
      and stir them into the sauce.

      Serve hot.

      Rabbit Stew #2

      1 rabbit cut into pieces
      flour

      salt and pepper
      2 1/2 Tbsp. butter
      7 cups boiling water
      1 tsp. thyme
      1 cup corn
      3 potatoes, cubed
      1/4 tsp. cayenne
      3 medium onions, sliced
      2 cups canned tomatoes with juice

      Roll the rabbit pieces in flour, salt, and pepper. Brown in butter.
      Add rabbit and all other ingredients, (with the exception of the
      tomatoes), to the boiling water, cover, and simmer for 1/2 to 2
      hours. Add the tomatoes and continue to simmer another hour.

      RABBIT STEW #3

      1 rabbit, cut into serving size pieces
      8 ozs bacon, cut into strips
      2 medium-sized onions, thinly sliced
      1 garlic clove, finely chopped
      3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced

      16 fluid ozs dry red wine
      3 tsp vegetable oil
      1 tsp salt
      6 black peppercorns
      2 sprigs parsley
      2 cloves garlic, crushed
      1 bay leaf
      1/2 tsp dried thyme

      In a large shallow bowl, combine wine, oil, salt, peppercorns,
      parsley, garlic, bay and thyme together and stir to mix well. Add
      rabbit pieces and baste them thoroughly. Cover the dish and leave
      to marinate over-night or at least 12 hours. Remove the rabbit
      from the marinade and dry on kitchen paper. Strain the marinade
      into a jug and reserve. Preheat oven to 350 F.

      In a flame-proof casserole, fry the bacon strips over moderate heat
      until they are quite crisp. Set aside. Add the onions, garlic and
      carrots to the fat in the casserole and cook them 5 - 6 minutes,
      or until lightly coloured. Add the rabbit pieces and turn frequently
      to brown them evenly and quickly. Add the reserved marinade to the
      casserole and bring to the boil. Remove casserole from the heat,
      add the bacon pieces and place in the oven.

      Cook for 1 hour or until the thigh of the rabbit is tender when
      pierced with a fork.

      Rabbit Stew with Raisins and Pine Kernels (#4)

      1 1/2 pounds rabbit meat, off the bone
      flour
      2 tablespoons olive oil
      2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
      1 stick of celery, chopped
      2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
      5 fl oz game or chicken stock
      5 fl oz red wine
      a handful of seedless raisins
      2 tablespoons pine kernels

      Cut the rabbit meat into large chunks and dust with flour. The
      easiest way to do this is to put the meat in a plastic bag, add
      the flour and shake. Heat the oil in a pan and fry quickly, over
      high heat, till golden at the edges. Transfer to a deep, ovenproof
      casserole.

      Add the onions to the frying pan, with a little more oil if needed,
      and fry till soft and golden. Add the celery and continue to cook
      for 2 minutes, then add the vinegar, stock and wine. Bring to the
      boil, add the fruit and nuts and scrape the bottom of the pan to
      dislodge any delicious crusty bits into the sauce. Season with salt
      and black pepper and pour over the rabbit.

      Place in a preheated oven at 1800C/3500F/Gas Mark 4 and cook for
      30-40 minutes till the sauce has reduced a little. Serve with mashed
      potatoes and peas or wide noodles such as pappardelle.

      more rabbit recipes here:

      http://paml.alastra.com/recipes/default.html

      Joe Blow
    • John Daniels
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
        YUMMM!!!
        Thanks I can't wait to give these a try. I plan to
        do alot of canning this year, Also I have alot of deer
        on my land( I can open my front door every morning a
        take my pick) I want to make alot of soups and stews
        to can this year.
        Again Thanks
        John.
        P.S. any more ideas?