Re: [MSM] Travel thoughts

  • Wes Jones
    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 31, 2012
      My observation with coarse salt is that it melts through to the solid
      surface, then there is a puddle of brine that melts out a dome in the
      ice. Then the brine runs off or otherwise leaves and the salt cannot
      contact the ice so it just sits there. On a road that dome gets broken
      down from traffic but not between the lanes as much.

      Best, wes

      On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:32:01 -0500, GEddie <GEddieA95@...> wrote:

      > When the moisture evaporates, there is indeed some cooling. But the
      > salt stays behind, and works on the solid ice surface. That is what
      > is meant by regenerating the cooling effect.
      >
      > Sent from my iPod,
      >
      > GEA

      >> the
      >> >
      >> > That I don't understand. I thought evaporating water cooled the
      >> > surroundings.
      >>
      >> Quite true.
      >>
      >> It's all a matter of "heat flux!"
      >>
      >> Most of the time and in most of the world, the "earth" is some 20F
      >> above freezing.
      >>
      >> Evaporating moisture will cool the surface. But there still is a
      >> certain amount of heat coming from the bowels of the earth!

    • Wes Jones
      Message 59 of 59 , Feb 3, 2012
        On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:49:33 -0500, bowman <bowman@...> wrote:

        > On 02/01/2012 07:31 AM, Wes wrote:
        >> We stopped in Prince George and I put a tarp on the entire front of the
        >> car but the damage was done.
        >
        > I've been thinking about buying the Yaris a bra.

        Ought to help some anyway.

        I drove it for two summers and had a ball. Was happy that someone then
        bought it who had the inclination to restore it. Some 15 years later
        folk I know say she did a fantastic job on it.

        Best, wes