Re: [MSM] Advice on Moving to buckeye, AZ

  • MHill
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
      For years many in PHX metro/Mesa have been buying property up on the
      Mogollon Rim.  These folks are well aware of what is going to happen to
      all the cities in the PHX metro area.  They have been stocking these
      getaway cabins/homes for years.  We are now down to the wire...little time
      left to prepare.
      Many say that the top of the mountain on the north side or the
      Verde Valley on the way to Flagstaff on I-17 will be a major line of defense
      against the coming invasion.
      Buckeye will be in the pathway of the invasions...those trying to get out
      of CA...and the millions coming across the border to take back Atslan.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
        Personally, isn't water an issue in AZ? I've camped there several times but
        that was umpteen years ago and around the south rim of the Canyon and the
        Crater.

        Have you considered No Cal? Or even Oregon? I survived 9/11 in DC, moved
        back to New Orleans then had the pleasure of meeting Katrina first hand. I
        have moved back to DC (no jobs in Loser-ana either! Kids bio-father lost his
        job in the oil industry 3 months ago!!)

        My husband and I just purchased land in KY. We got 15.68 acres for $35K.
        True, there is no house on it, but we can build whatever we want.

        Also, what about your future wife? Is she on board? What about children?
        If you plan (HA! Sorry when on earth does one PLAN on kids! The little
        buggers just show up and rip out your heart! J ) on kids, what about them?
        Will you be prepared to bug out w/them? Food? Toys? Food? My youngest has
        a birth defect (she was a Siamese twin), how would you prepare to move this
        child? For instance, R was attached to a feed pump the first 3 years of
        life. It dripped food 24/7. Why? She had no intestine w/which to digest
        food normally. I would change a diaper and it smelled of breast milk, NOT
        doodie! That was the first indication something was wrong.

        Are you prepared to survive in the mountains or canyons w/a wife and
        potential children? What if the wife isn't 'on board?' What will you do
        then? My husband used to make fun of me when we first started dating of my
        pantry. I remember having sugar water as a kid as dinner. I'm terrified of
        being hungry. Probably why I'm in the grocery industry. Anyway, after being
        snowed in a 3rd floor all electric condo woke his butt up! NOW, he's not
        only on board; he's going through EE's catalog w/me and telling his brother
        (who has 3 little ones under 6!) who's slowly waking up.

        I grew up on the Gulf Coast. I've survived many a hurricane. I lived in
        Great Mistakes (actually Great Lakes Naval Station) when bio-father was
        snowed in the base w/ drifts so high it went to the 2nd floor window. I
        was in the Army when a hurricane hit Fort Dix, NJ. I still remember the
        DI's coming to me in my platoon for help in prepping the barracks for the
        hurricane (we lost more windows to gals taping them (it was the one's that
        opened and would fold out). I've lived in Fl in the late 90's when the
        fires closed down I-75. I've been snowed in a hotel w/2 gf's and 10 kids
        between us in Tahoe for 2 weeks. I've lived in an RV w/two children for
        several years traveling the US.

        One never knows when something will happen, but it's best to be prepared.
        If you're flexible in your living arrangements, try to play devil's advocate
        on the pros and cons of where you're going to live.

        Jeanne

        <http://community.webshots.com/user/atasetofcreole>
        http://community.webshots.com/user/atasetofcreole

        <http://atasteofcreole.wordpress.com/> http://atasteofcreole.wordpress.com/

        Laws are made for men of ordinary understanding and should, therefore, be
        construed by the ordinary rules of common sense."- Thomas Jefferson

      • larry2001t
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
          Well Mike, I guess the best thing would be to look at a map and ask yourself this quesiton: "If I was escaping from California and headed east, what would I do?" As far as the Nuke Plant I wouldn't be too worried- after Chernoybl and 3 Mile Island they've been turned into miniture fortresses.

          I suggest to everyone to touch that tiny bit of their heart where evil lays, and consult it- "If I was evil and wanted to take something, or hurt someone, how would I do it?" then follow your instincts- Larry

          --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com, "salazarmail" <salazarmail@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I haven't posted in a while, hope all is well with everyone. I have a dilemma on my hands and I was wondering if any if you like minded individuals may help shine some light on the issue.
          >
          > I am 27 years old and am currently living in Los Angeles, CA. I was living in the Avondale, AZ area for about three years but am back home now. I will be getting married (if all goes according to plan that is) by mid next year and am looking to purchase a home to start my family. Unfortunately my budget is in the $45,000 to $70,000 which is basically nothing. However, one opportunity that I know of is buying a semi new home (5-7 years old) in Buckeye, AZ that falls on the low end of my budget. I have lived near buckeye and i like the area, i love Arizona, and the price is right. However, i have a few worries about this decision. Please read my list below and let me know if I am thinking too much into this, or if you agree. And if so, do you have any alternatives or suggestions? Time is ticking and this widow to be able to afford and purchase a new home may closer soon. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
          >
          > Cons:
          > 1) the city of Buckeye about 20 miles from the Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant. (there are a number of worries about this, you probably already know them so no need to list)
          >
          > 2) Buckeye is the first suburb that you see when coming from California to Arizona while on the I-10 interstate highway. If TSHTF in California, Buckeye would be the first city that the refugees would hit after a long way through the hot desert.
          >
          > 3) Buckeye is pretty much in the middle of the desert but only about 75 miles from the Mexican Border. If THHTF in Mexico i may also have some unwanted visitors.
          >
          > Pros:
          > 1) the population and traffic is way less than where I live now (LA)
          >
          > 2) home prices are very affordable
          >
          > 3) Arizona is one of my favorite states as a whole
          >
          > 4) I will be far enough to live my own life with my new family, but close enough to be home (LA) within a couple of hours if need be.
          >
          > 5) If tshtf I could head for the Grand Canyon or even the mountains south of Buckeye. As long as you have the knowledge of how to live and thrive in this region (and adequately supplied) you could hold up for a while out there without anyone finding or disturbing you.
          >
          > ok folks, this is all I have. your 2 cents is Appreciated.
          >
          > - Mike
          >
          > "You can't wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club" Jack London

        • Kim Godfrey
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
            Hi Mike,

            It looks as if you've gone to a lot of trouble and done a lot of
            thinking about this, and I applaud that. However, due to the "cons" you
            listed, I do not think I would want to live there, regardless of the
            good points you mentioned. The idea of having a huge number of city
            refugees coming into my immediate area after a disaster would be more
            than enough to worry about, all by itself. Add in a nuke plant and the
            proximity to the U.S./Mexican border, and there is no way I would
            consider it. Another thing that would worry me is the desert climate,
            unless you plan to spend quite a bit on a water collection method and
            storage tank(s).

            I wish you the very best as you give this further thought, and I pray
            that you will make the best decision for yourself and your future
            family. No one can truly know what's best, but you CAN make your best
            educated decision and pray that it's right. That's all any of us can do.

            Kim in WV

            On 2/27/2011 11:22 PM, salazarmail wrote:
            > Hello all,
            >
            > I haven't posted in a while, hope all is well with everyone. I have a dilemma on my hands and I was wondering if any if you like minded individuals may help shine some light on the issue.
            >
            > I am 27 years old and am currently living in Los Angeles, CA. I was living in the Avondale, AZ area for about three years but am back home now. I will be getting married (if all goes according to plan that is) by mid next year and am looking to purchase a home to start my family. Unfortunately my budget is in the $45,000 to $70,000 which is basically nothing. However, one opportunity that I know of is buying a semi new home (5-7 years old) in Buckeye, AZ that falls on the low end of my budget. I have lived near buckeye and i like the area, i love Arizona, and the price is right. However, i have a few worries about this decision. Please read my list below and let me know if I am thinking too much into this, or if you agree. And if so, do you have any alternatives or suggestions? Time is ticking and this widow to be able to afford and purchase a new home may closer soon. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
            >
            > Cons:
            > 1) the city of Buckeye about 20 miles from the Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant. (there are a number of worries about this, you probably already know them so no need to list)
            >
            > 2) Buckeye is the first suburb that you see when coming from California to Arizona while on the I-10 interstate highway. If TSHTF in California, Buckeye would be the first city that the refugees would hit after a long way through the hot desert.
            >
            > 3) Buckeye is pretty much in the middle of the desert but only about 75 miles from the Mexican Border. If THHTF in Mexico i may also have some unwanted visitors.
            >
            > Pros:
            > 1) the population and traffic is way less than where I live now (LA)
            >
            > 2) home prices are very affordable
            >
            > 3) Arizona is one of my favorite states as a whole
            >
            > 4) I will be far enough to live my own life with my new family, but close enough to be home (LA) within a couple of hours if need be.
            >
            > 5) If tshtf I could head for the Grand Canyon or even the mountains south of Buckeye. As long as you have the knowledge of how to live and thrive in this region (and adequately supplied) you could hold up for a while out there without anyone finding or disturbing you.
            >
            > ok folks, this is all I have. your 2 cents is Appreciated.
            >
            > - Mike
            >
            > "You can't wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club" Jack London
            >

            > ------------------------------------

            > Please check out our new Blog "Daily Survival"
            > http://daily-survival.blogspot.com/

          • Wes Jones
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
              That's a huge consideration. Any source of water in AZ has been eyed and
              virtually or essentially claimed by someone long ago for after TSHTF. I
              grew up in AZ and covered most of the state wandering around back when
              that was possible without getting hassled. Even then, in the '60's and
              70's, almost every reliable source of water was being used by someone.

              Best, wes

              --
              Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and
              mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.

              Thomas Jefferson
            • salazarmail
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2011
                Wow, everyone made very valid points. I think most of you are right, I have a lot more options than I think. If I just pigeon hole my self into one city I'm already screwed. One needs to be flexible and able to adapt; that means thinking outside the box. The cons outweigh the pros and my search continues.

                Anyone know of a good small, affordable town in No Cal or Oregon?

                Hakapale!!!

                - Mike

                --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com, "Wes Jones" <wes@...> wrote:

                > That's a huge consideration. Any source of water in AZ has been eyed and
                > virtually or essentially claimed by someone long ago for after TSHTF. I
                > grew up in AZ and covered most of the state wandering around back when
                > that was possible without getting hassled. Even then, in the '60's and
                > 70's, almost every reliable source of water was being used by someone.
                >
                > Best, wes
                >

                > On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 07:30:21 -0500, Kim Godfrey <dobe.lover@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Another thing that would worry me is the desert climate,
                > > unless you plan to spend quite a bit on a water collection method and
                > > storage tank(s).
                >

                > --
                > Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and
                > mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.
                >
                > Thomas Jefferson

              • Jeanne Lookabill

                  Wow, everyone made very valid points. I think most of you are right, I have
                  a lot more options than I think. If I just pigeon hole my self into one city
                  I'm already screwed. One needs to be flexible and able to adapt; that means
                  thinking outside the box. The cons outweigh the pros and my search
                  continues.

                  Anyone know of a good small, affordable town in No Cal or Oregon?

                  Hakapale!!!

                  - Mike

                  --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:misc_survivalism_moderated%40yahoogroups.com> , "Wes Jones"
                  <wes@...> wrote:

                  > That's a huge consideration. Any source of water in AZ has been eyed and
                  > virtually or essentially claimed by someone long ago for after TSHTF. I
                  > grew up in AZ and covered most of the state wandering around back when
                  > that was possible without getting hassled. Even then, in the '60's and
                  > 70's, almost every reliable source of water was being used by someone.
                  >
                  > Best, wes
                  >

                  > On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 07:30:21 -0500, Kim Godfrey <dobe.lover@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > Another thing that would worry me is the desert climate,
                  > > unless you plan to spend quite a bit on a water collection method and
                  > > storage tank(s).
                  >

                  > --
                  > Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and
                  > mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.
                  >
                  > Thomas Jefferson

                • Carlos
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2011
                    Forget Buckeye, head towards Wittman, Morristown and Wickenburg. You'll encounter far less traffic, both auto and foot, in that direction. You'll also be further upstream from Phoenix rather than downstream. In other words, more available surface water. I left the Phoenix, AZ area in '04 and have never been happier. IMHO Phoenix is an ecological disaster waiting to happen. There's absolutely no year-round water supply that can come anywhere near big enough to supply the 3-4 million folks with drinking and sanitation.

                    Carlos in ATx

                    --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com, "salazarmail" <salazarmail@...> wrote:

                    > Hello all,
                    >
                    > I haven't posted in a while, hope all is well with everyone. I have a dilemma on my hands and I was wondering if any if you like minded individuals may help shine some light on the issue.
                    >
                    > I am 27 years old and am currently living in Los Angeles, CA. I was living in the Avondale, AZ area for about three years but am back home now. I will be getting married (if all goes according to plan that is) by mid next year and am looking to purchase a home to start my family. Unfortunately my budget is in the $45,000 to $70,000 which is basically nothing. However, one opportunity that I know of is buying a semi new home (5-7 years old) in Buckeye, AZ that falls on the low end of my budget. I have lived near buckeye and i like the area, i love Arizona, and the price is right. However, i have a few worries about this decision. Please read my list below and let me know if I am thinking too much into this, or if you agree. And if so, do you have any alternatives or suggestions? Time is ticking and this widow to be able to afford and purchase a new home may closer soon. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
                    >
                    > Cons:
                    > 1) the city of Buckeye about 20 miles from the Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant. (there are a number of worries about this, you probably already know them so no need to list)
                    >
                    > 2) Buckeye is the first suburb that you see when coming from California to Arizona while on the I-10 interstate highway. If TSHTF in California, Buckeye would be the first city that the refugees would hit after a long way through the hot desert.
                    >
                    > 3) Buckeye is pretty much in the middle of the desert but only about 75 miles from the Mexican Border. If THHTF in Mexico i may also have some unwanted visitors.
                    >
                    > Pros:
                    > 1) the population and traffic is way less than where I live now (LA)
                    >
                    > 2) home prices are very affordable
                    >
                    > 3) Arizona is one of my favorite states as a whole
                    >
                    > 4) I will be far enough to live my own life with my new family, but close enough to be home (LA) within a couple of hours if need be.
                    >
                    > 5) If tshtf I could head for the Grand Canyon or even the mountains south of Buckeye. As long as you have the knowledge of how to live and thrive in this region (and adequately supplied) you could hold up for a while out there without anyone finding or disturbing you.
                    >
                    > ok folks, this is all I have. your 2 cents is Appreciated.
                    >
                    > - Mike
                    >
                    > "You can't wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club" Jack London

                  • Jerrywpar
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 6, 2011
                      I guess a lot depends on what you plan on doing for a living. There are plenty of little affordable towns here in NCal, but work is another matter if you are going to live in one.

                      Jerry

                      Please check out our new Blog "Daily Survival"
                      http://daily-survival.blogspot.com/

                      Links