RE: [MSM] Canning Pumpkin

  • Katherine Hayford
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
      The newer canning recipes call for pressure canning because the newer
      hybrids do not have as much acid as the older OP produced plants did. This
      is why the new recommendation. Any fruit; that is what cooks call fruit,
      and tomatoes can be water bath canned by adding the citric acid to the jars.
      You can get it at any store that has canning supplies. Freezing doesn't
      need any of that stuff as the process of freezing suspends bacterial growth
      rather than killing it. The minute it gets above freezing and starts to
      thaw is the minute bacteria starts to grow again. There are some processes
      you use to keep the food as good tasting as possible when you freeze but it
      is the holding the food below freezing that preserves it. I specified what
      I was calling a fruit as my grandson (7yo) reminded me today that the proper
      definition of a fruit is the product of a plant made up of the ovary and
      containing seeds. By that definition there are bunches of fruit that can
      not be water bath canned.

      Pernkat

      The government of the United States is not in any sense founded upon the
      Christian religion. - John Addams 6th President (1767 - 1848)

      _____

      On Behalf Of Jerrywpar
      Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 10:05 AM
      Subject: Re: [MSM] Canning Pumpkin

      As far as I know, all newer canning recipes call for pressure canning. I
      believe my 1940's canning book has a recipe for water-bath but it is not
      recommended anymore. What about freezer bags? I do both, canned and frozen.

      Jerry

    • Jeanne Lookabill
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
        Thank you. I loathe freezing. The change in texture is nauseating.

        Jeanne

        <http://community.webshots.com/user/atasetofcreole>
        http://community.webshots.com/user/atasetofcreole

        <http://atasteofcreole.wordpress.com/> http://atasteofcreole.wordpress.com/

        NEW ORLEANS--Our city, Our team, Our time, Our destiny; Our Moment in NFL
        History... Home of the 2010 SUPERBOWL XLIV NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS--THE NEW
        ORLEANS SAINTS. NOW...Who Dat say they gonna beat them SAINTS?

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
          Um, why a actual canner? Most any pots that are large enough, can be
          used as a water bath canner. I have two large stock pots here that could
          be used for that. I just don't have the rack that is supposed to go
          inside one, but that is a minor thing.

          Me, I prefer to buy something that can be used for more than one thing,
          if possible.

          Bill

          I'm the owner of the above group

          On 10/31/2010 01:31, Jeanne Lookabill wrote:
          > Excellent. I'm hoping Santa will bring me a water bath canner. Santa's
          > getting a beer making kit.
          >

          > Jeanne
        • JonquilJan
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
            Bill - instead of a rack inside the stock pot, use some canning rings - the metal rings that seal the canning lid to the jar. Just nest them side by side on the bottom of the pot. Will hold the jars off the bottom of the pot.

            Jan

            Learn something new every day
            As long as you are learning, you are living
            When you stop learning, you start dying
            Um, why a actual canner? Most any pots that are large enough, can be
            used as a water bath canner. I have two large stock pots here that could
            be used for that. I just don't have the rack that is supposed to go
            inside one, but that is a minor thing.

            Me, I prefer to buy something that can be used for more than one thing,
            if possible.

            Bill

            I'm the owner of the above group

            On 10/31/2010 01:31, Jeanne Lookabill wrote:
            > Excellent. I'm hoping Santa will bring me a water bath canner. Santa's
            > getting a beer making kit.
            >

            > Jeanne

          • Jerrywpar
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
              I use one of my pressure canners without the lid on as a water bath canner even though I have a couple of porcelainized steel water bath canners also. Just remember to put in the bottom rack so the jars don't make direct contact with the bottom.

              Jerry

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                If you live deep under the sea you can get the air pressure high enough
                to boil water at over 240F.

                http://www.pickyourown.org/pressurecanners.htm

                From the above website:
                "The open water bath canners can't get water any hotter than 212 F and
                that's not hot enough to kill the bacteria that can grow in low acid
                foods. A pressure canner hits 240F which allows for home canning of
                many more foods, like corn, beans, meats, etc.). "

                and

                "Clostridium botulinum is the bacterium commonly found in vegetables
                and meats. It is harmless until it finds itself in a moist, low-acid,
                oxygen-free environment or a partial vacuum. In other words, a sealed
                jar! Under these conditions, the bacterium can grow and produce toxins
                dangerous to people and animals. Yes, we have ALL heard about someone's
                grandmother who canned without a pressure canner and lived to 90. And
                we all know people who smoked 2 packs a day and lived to 90. But
                neither is smart to do, and the odds will catch up with most people.
                You'll literally gambling with your life when you eat low acid foods
                that were canned using the open water bath, rather than pressure
                canning method."

                So if you want to kill the Clostridium botulinum bacteria and not
                you......

                Bill Wrote:
                >>>Um, why a actual canner? Most any pots that are large enough, can be
                used as a water bath canner. I have two large stock pots here that
                could be used for that. <<
              • tenzicut
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                  > Bill - instead of a rack inside the stock pot, use some canning rings - the metal rings that seal the canning lid to the jar. Just nest them side by side on the bottom of the pot. Will hold the jars off the bottom of the pot.
                  >
                  > Jan

                  **** I know people who use an old dish towel on the bottom as well.

                  tenzicut
                  http://www.downtotherootsmagazine.com
                • Katherine Hayford
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                    One of the reasons our grannies lived after water bath canning is because
                    they boiled the food when they took it out of the jar. My grannie taught me
                    to always boil things a minimum of 5 minutes. Now before you start checking
                    up to see how long it actually takes to kill the botulism spores, I am in no
                    way recommending going this route as it is chock full of dangers and risk.
                    Just a note for you all to think about.

                    On Behalf Of VeeWee111@...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                      We used several old rags on my gumbo pot when we first started. He's since
                      gotten me a water bath canner for under $20 at wally world! I'm sure I have
                      one in my other storage but it's an hour away and I need to find someone w/a
                      pick-up truck to haul trash to dump.

                      I don't remember what I have there! I do know I have several banana boxes
                      FULL of old 1960's sci-fi novels! All the greats!

                      Jeanne

                      <http://community.webshots.com/user/atasetofcreole>
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/atasetofcreole

                      <http://atasteofcreole.wordpress.com/> http://atasteofcreole.wordpress.com/

                      NEW ORLEANS--Our city, Our team, Our time, Our destiny; Our Moment in NFL
                      History... Home of the 2010 SUPERBOWL XLIV NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS--THE NEW
                      ORLEANS SAINTS. NOW...Who Dat say they gonna beat them SAINTS?

                      _,___