RE: [MSM] Looking at wells

  • Jeanne Lookabill
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
      They are for a relatively short time (10 years or less), have interest
      rates more in line with "prime" rates for commercial loans over typical
      home mortgage rates (10% over 5%), and require a FULL 20% (or more) down
      payment.

      That is not entirely true. We just got a loan on raw, undeveloped land.
      It's for 20 years for less than 5%. We put 15% down. We owe 32K and our
      notes are $120 p/m. But we're paying $300 p/m to get it finished quickly.

      Jeanne

      <http://community.webshots.com/user/atasetofcreole>
      http://community.webshots.com/user/atasetofcreole

      <http://atasteofcreole.wordpress.com/> http://atasteofcreole.wordpress.com/

      NEW ORLEANS--Our city, Our team, Our time, Our destiny; Our Moment in NFL
      History... Home of the 2010 SUPERBOWL XLIV NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS--THE NEW
      ORLEANS SAINTS. NOW...Who Dat say they gonna beat them SAINTS?

    • mobius
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
        That's a legal impossibility!

        There is the easement of necessity.

        Not so. Our property was two combined for sale on a gentlemen's agreement because the upper prop had no access. They used to get to the cabin (and in to build it) across paper company land (logging property) but when they were done logging they are required to remove the culverts. They could still walk in, two mile logging road with 12 -18 streams to cross or up across what is now our lower prop (thick woods for a mile uphill) so they combined them for sale. Good for us.

        There is also a 50 acre property west of us with no access unless he gets permission from us or the lady on the other end. I let him log it out across ours but I wouldn't do it again, big mess.
        Fred
        --

        MOLON LABE

      • MICHAEL TALLENT
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
          These laws vary from state to state, so if you are going to make a blanket
          statement about some kind of "easement of necessity" you should give the
          name of the state it applies too. I denied an easement to a piece of
          land-locked land in California and then eventually bought it. Some
          neighbors lost a law suite over a road that they had been using to get to
          their homes and I granted them a short easement to allow them to have the
          road moved off the other person's property so they could get to their
          property.

          Mike T

            >> Try to find a bank that will give a mortgage on raw land without legal
            >> access.
            >
            > That's a legal impossibility!
            >
            > There is the easement of necessity.
            >
            > In any case, a proper appraisal will do such things as determine road
            > and utility access. That's how the appraiser determines whether the
            > target parcel is worth more or less than some other recently sold parcel.

          • Marjory
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
              Turn Your Backyard into a Self Sufficient Food Production System

              Not long ago humans fed themselves, provided for their on needs and were
              largely self sufficient. They knew how to feed themselves, how to take
              care of animals, what to plant and what to do when something went wrong.
              Our new DVD, "Food Production Systems for a Backyard or Small Farm" is
              your guide to recapturing that lost knowledge.

              This DVD is special because it was created by a family that has actually
              done it, the things we will teach you to do and more importantly not to
              do we have already done. We will reveal to you our successes and our
              failures, some of them very costly to the tune of thousands of dollars
              so you never have to make them yourself.

              In this DVD you will learn about every component of our self sufficient
              food production model including...

              * Water Harvesting and Passive Irrigation
              * How to Turn Any Soil into Fertile Black Gold
              * Which Livestock to Use and for What Purpose
              * Two "Super Trees" that Improve Soil, Grow Fast , and create a lot of
              high protein leaves
              * The Role of Dogs on a Homestead
              * How to Convert Your Farm or Urban Back Yard into a Food Producing Machine

              This Is a DVD You Will Watch Over and Over

              Only $24.95 at www.backyardfoodproduction.com

              If you asked me what is the biggest mistake we made in the creation of
              "Food Production Systems for a Backyard or Small Farm", I would say we
              put too much on one DVD. The information on this one 110 minute DVD is a
              compilation of knowledge gained over years of practical application and
              research that would make a PhD's head spin.

              In fact we include a free bonus DVD of over 60 supporting documents just
              to help you get the most out of "Food Production Systems for a Backyard
              or Small Farm". To give you an idea of how extensive this DVD really is
              here is the entire DVD Menu...

              Section 1: Overview

              * Why we began this journey
              * Soil types and climate of the site

              Section 2: Water

              * Water sources and qualities of water
              * How much water do you need?
              * Rain water collection systems
              * Wells
              * Ponds

              Section 3: Garden

              * Garden location
              * Size -- how much area do you need?
              * Bio-Intensive gardening overview
              * Fertility
              * Watering the garden
              * Wind
              * Sun and shade
              * Bugs and insects
              * Vegetable varieties and seed saving
              * Getting started

              Section 4: Rabbits

              * Housing and protection
              * Watering systems
              * Feeding
              * Breeds
              * Reproduction
              * Other resources

              Section 5: Home Butchering

              * Tools
              * Butchering a rabbit
              * Tanning hides
              * Butchering poultry
              * Other animals

              Section 6: Poultry

              * Chicken breeds
              * Feeding
              * Watering
              * Housing and egg collecting
              * Predator protection
              * Getting started

              Section 7: Dogs

              * Why dogs?
              * Dog training
              * Feeding
              * Housing
              * Size and breeds
              * Final thoughts

              Section 8: Perennials: Orchards, Food Forests, and Edible Landscaping

              * Locations and micro climates
              * Watering
              * Fertility
              * Using geese for fertility
              * Tree varieties
              * Planting and care of trees
              * Getting started

              Section 9: Other Essentials

              * Calorie crops
              * Solar food dehydration
              * Home made herbicide test
              * Fire ants
              * Injuries
              * Hog panels and tee posts
              * Water levels and mapping contours
              * Rocket stove and hay box cooker
              * In The Wake; a manual for outliving civilization
              * Propagating leuceana

              Only $24.95 at www.backyardfoodproduction.com

            • Jerrywpar
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2010
                I'm not worried about it, we have the cash to purchase the property outright and am quite familiar with adverse possession and easements by prescription. I am not looking for an appraisal, that would just add to the price of the property. As long as the seller and I can agree on a price, that's all that matters to me.

                Jerry

                > Try to find a bank that will give a mortgage on raw land without legal
                access.

                That's a legal impossibility!

                There is the easement of necessity.

                In any case, a proper appraisal will do such things as determine road
                and utility access. That's how the appraiser determines whether the
                target parcel is worth more or less than some other recently sold parcel.

              • John Gilmer
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3, 2010
                  On 10/3/2010 4:28 PM, Jerrywpar wrote:
                  > I'm not worried about it, we have the cash to purchase the property outright and am quite familiar with adverse possession and easements by prescription. I am not looking for an appraisal, that would just add to the price of the property. As long as the seller and I can agree on a price, that's all that matters to me.

                  Obviously, if you don't need a bank loan, you don't NEED the reports
                  that a bank routinely demands.

                  But remember, when a bank makes a conventional loan, it only has to
                  worry when it overshot by about 20% what the "true"/"fair" value of the
                  property is.

                  As an "all cash" buyer, you are 100% on the hook. You can potentially
                  lost 50% of your investment (or more!)

                  You don't have to purchase the services of an appraiser. BUT you
                  should check the transfer records and find out what other nearby
                  properties have sold for. Justify for yourself why your subject
                  property is being sold for more or less than these other places.

                  Likewise, you don't need to hire a surveyor. But you should know the
                  "metes and bounds" of your property. You should walk the boundary to
                  look for the markers.

                  You don't have to hire a hydrologist but (if you live out west) you
                  should talk to a few folks to get a handle on how much you can expect to
                  pay for a well. Likewise, you can see for yourself where the electric
                  lines run and you can call the power company to determine what it would
                  cost to run electric where your home might be or where you think the
                  drilling crew might suggest to install your well.