Strange "Soligor" Logo'd End Cap - Miranda Or Not?

  • pete.naylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2008
      I've posted a couple of pics in the "Photos" area of a black-anodized
      alloy end cap given me at a recent local Cam Club meeting, which has
      me scratching my balding bonce regarding its intended use. As you'll
      see from the pics, it has a nice but typically 50's/60s appearance,
      especially the "Soligor" lettering in contrasting white copperplate
      script. It has a short 2mm male M44 threaded portion t'other side,
      which just happens to fit early Miranda bodies such as the Miranda T
      one I've pictured it fitting, but it also fits a later Miranda D body.

      Additionally, its diameter is 52mm, which is exactly the size of early
      Miranda lens mount flanges. However, playing my own Devil's
      Advocate, the lettering doesn't align straight on either the "T"
      or "D" bodies. Ergo, maybe it's just coincidence over the M44 common
      thread and 52mm diameter, and this mystery cap is from something like
      an early Soligor teleconverter as suggested by one of the IDCC Forum
      guys.

      I don't have a kosher early Miranda body cap so this one will do me
      fine, even if it turns out to be just coincidence that it fits and
      looks perfect - other than for that Soligor script, of course.
      Although Soligor supplied some early lenses in Miranda's early days
      and went on to become the supplier of choice through the common AIC
      connection, a body cap is traditionally considered to be part of a
      camera's accessory list and not a lens's.

      I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, guys. (Pete In Perth)
    • Glen Clover
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2008
        Pete,
        I've seen all kinds of variations in the Soligor line, and they
        definitely made lenses and accessories for the Miranda cameras. I've
        seen lenses labeled both Soligor and Miranda on the same barrel, and
        also Miranda logo on Pentax/Praktika M42 screw mount lenses.

        --- In mirandacollectors@yahoogroups.com, "pete.naylor"

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2008
          Hi, Glen Yes, I've got several lenses with just "Soligor"
          and others with "Soligor Miranda" myself. Most have the Miranda
          bayonet mount but a couple of early f2.8 preset lenses have the male
          M44 thread mount, which this weird Soligor cap also has. So as you
          can see from my posted pic, it works just fine as a body cap for any
          of the early Miranda models such as the "T" I've fitted it to.

          I now don't think that was its intended purpose, because
          the "Soligor" white lettering doesn't sit horizontal when fully
          screwed in, either on the "T" or on a slightly later "D" that I
          tried it out on.

          It's been suggested that it's an end cap for an early Soligor 2X
          converter, which may well be true. However, I'm still a bit
          baffled about its M44 thread. If it were such a 2X converter for a
          Miranda, why would it have a male thread? Surely the converter
          would have to have a male thread itself to be able to screw into the
          camera body, so wouldn't the end cap need a female thread to seal it
          when not used?

          Still, whatever it was intended for, it does a fine job as a Miranda
          body cap which I don't have a genuine example of. (Pete In Perth)

          --- In mirandacollectors@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Clover"