Wallet Pains

  • thlnker007
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hi all, well this weekend didn't go so well. Was going to sail to Newport and take pictures of the Mayflower ll. Made it to Newport fine even though the wind wasn't much. Once there dropped sails and was going to motor in to the harbor to where the Mayflower was docked. Motor decided that it didn't want to start even though it started on one pull every day before that. I pulled and pulled and pulled. Well till a large boat came by with a huge wake and swamped the motor. I knew it wouldn't start then so we raised the sails again and started back since it was a long way and no motor. We made it about 3 hundred yards when the wind completely died. Well needless to say by 10:00 saturday night we were still not even half way home. No motor and just enough wind to keep enough forward movement to steer. Pitch black out and now is when we find that the flashlight no longer works. Me, I was ready to get into shallow water and spend the night but this is when I was reminded that medication was at home and Mary had her contacts in. We finally decide that with 2 young kids on board that Sea Tow is our only option at this point. $400.00 dollars and 2 hours later we are back at the dock. (Joining Sea Tow this week). Will that stop us.... hell no... going back out on the 4th hehehehe

      happy sailing all
      Ron
    • baronmarsh
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
        Thanks for sharing with us. There's lessons to be learned there.

        I use to backpack with a group called Outdoor Education. It amounted
        to a school sponsored outdoors club.

        Part of our training was to make a survival kit that would fit in a
        pant pocket. Idealy with materials (fishing line and hooks, matches,
        bullion, and so forth) to survive for a week. The reasoning is that
        we ALWAYS leave an route description with someone at home so a search
        party would find us if the worst happened.

        One of the guys made a kit that was a bit big, maybe a pocket and a
        half in size. The instructor became a bit miffed that his kit was so
        large. Then the student pointed out that he was diabetic, and if it
        wasn't that large it would matter when the search started.

        I have no idea what you meds are, but this came to mind. One lesson
        learned by us from your experience may be to take a few extra
        medications along even on day trips just in case.

        Overall I bet you had fun though, huh?

        -Baron