Looking for Info

  • djs336647
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3, 2012
      Hi, I'm interested in just about anything I can find out on the Mirage 5.5. I have had a few sailboats from a 14 Precision to a 28 Sabre and just recently sold my 240 Oday which leaves me with a 18.5 Hunter. One thing I am very interested in is the total towing weight of a 5.5 and trailer. I have a 2500 Chev. Suburban 454 V8 that I used to tow the 240 and at the very best it gets 10mpg and towing around 8. I also have a Toyota Rav 4 but the towing limit for it is 1500lbs and my hunter goes more than that so I am looking to sell the hunter and get a boat that will fit the towing specs. I like the 5.5 because of the foam core that don't rot and it looks by the sail area that it might be an exciting boat to sail plus I hope to get more reasons why or why not to look into a 5.5. So first I need to know if an empty 5.5 with engine, battery, water, sails, etc (basically anything that can be removed reasonably) and a trailer will weigh in close to the 1500 lb limit. Thanks before hand for anything you may have to offer.

      Denny
    • Dean McNeill
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2012
        Denny,

        Check the "Files" area of the website and look for the Brochure or Owners Manual... it has all the specs. I've hauled mine with a Nissan Multi (4cyl) in the past and currently haul it with a Kia Sorento 4 (cyl) with no issues. I don't take it far though.... usually under 10 miles per trailer trip.

        Great boat, fun to sail and an easy boat for 1 person to sail, but fun for a few folks as well.

        Cheers, Dean (BarraWind)
      • truckman1972
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2012
          Denny,

          The boat is about 1200 lbs. With the trailer I think it is maybe just under 1500 lbs. I have towed mine with a gmc sonoma (1500 lb towing capacity) with no problems. The nice thing about towing the Mirage 5.5 is that they have a light tongue weight and they are a light boat. So, you can easily push them around on flat ground by hand. Your Rav 4 should have no problems with moving the boat around.

          If you happen to be in the Chicagoland area, I will be selling my Mirage 5.5 over the winter. if you are interested let me know.

          Thanks,

          Alex

          --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, "djs336647" <djs336647@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I'm interested in just about anything I can find out on the Mirage 5.5. I have had a few sailboats from a 14 Precision to a 28 Sabre and just recently sold my 240 Oday which leaves me with a 18.5 Hunter. One thing I am very interested in is the total towing weight of a 5.5 and trailer. I have a 2500 Chev. Suburban 454 V8 that I used to tow the 240 and at the very best it gets 10mpg and towing around 8. I also have a Toyota Rav 4 but the towing limit for it is 1500lbs and my hunter goes more than that so I am looking to sell the hunter and get a boat that will fit the towing specs. I like the 5.5 because of the foam core that don't rot and it looks by the sail area that it might be an exciting boat to sail plus I hope to get more reasons why or why not to look into a 5.5. So first I need to know if an empty 5.5 with engine, battery, water, sails, etc (basically anything that can be removed reasonably) and a trailer will weigh in close to the 1500 lb limit. Thanks before hand for anything you may have to offer.
          >
          > Denny

        • Marc Lipsius
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2012
            The boat weighs 1200 # empty. Don't forget to add the weight of anything inside, like an outboard, gas can, life jackets, ground tackle. extra lines, sails, etc, etc, which can add up. The trailer can easily weigh 3-400lbs or more. Your Rav 4 should be able to handle that unless you plan to cruise at highway speeds on the interstate.
            Do you plan to trailer sail it or leave it in the water? Altho it's not that difficult, getting the mast up and down and rigging it every time you want to use it is a PIA and takes time away from sailing.

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2012
              --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, "djs336647" <djs336647@...> wrote:
              >I have towed mine from Atlanta GA to the NC outer banks, Emerald Island, highway speeds for a couple hundred miles, with a toyota camry V6 no problems.

              The owner's manual mentions a "foam core" but this group had a discussion about it (floatation, was it last summer, spring or further back?) nobody seemed to be able to find any "foam core" in any of their boats and I haven't seen any sign of a "foam core" in mine even though I haven't cut into it, I do have several inspection ports.

              Foam core or not it's a great little boat.

              > Hi, I'm interested in just about anything I can find out on the Mirage 5.5. I have had a few sailboats from a 14 Precision to a 28 Sabre and just recently sold my 240 Oday which leaves me with a 18.5 Hunter. One thing I am very interested in is the total towing weight of a 5.5 and trailer. I have a 2500 Chev. Suburban 454 V8 that I used to tow the 240 and at the very best it gets 10mpg and towing around 8. I also have a Toyota Rav 4 but the towing limit for it is 1500lbs and my hunter goes more than that so I am looking to sell the hunter and get a boat that will fit the towing specs. I like the 5.5 because of the foam core that don't rot and it looks by the sail area that it might be an exciting boat to sail plus I hope to get more reasons why or why not to look into a 5.5. So first I need to know if an empty 5.5 with engine, battery, water, sails, etc (basically anything that can be removed reasonably) and a trailer will weigh in close to the 1500 lb limit. Thanks before hand for anything you may have to offer.
              >
              > Denny

            • Sailer
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2012
                Denny: I've lately been towing our Mirage 5.5 with a 2007 Express Chevrolet Van. The van only has a V6 engine, pretty much a flat landler. Last year when I towed her to HPCC, 800+ miles each way, It was like there was nothing behind me. I do have a light aluminum trailer so I'm thinking the total boat and trailer weights around 1550 lbs. The book on the Van the maximum trailer weight is 4300 lbs. so no problem.
                I also have a Sabre 28 nice boat.
              • djs336647@netscape.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2012
                  Wow I'm impressed with the Mirageownersclub group. Looks like an active bunch and I like that.

                  Dean, I will be checking the website and everything else I can find about the 5.5. It looks like you trailer with a comparable vehicle but I will be trailering between 80 -150 miles most times and I live in Northeastern PA with lots of hills and mountains.

                  Alex, thanks for your input and you can send me info on your boat but it is quite a distance. Right now though the only 5.5 I see for sale is in Arizona and your closer than that.

                  Mark L., I was interested in your comment on rigging. Right now on my 18.5 hunter I only move the mast back, put the pin in the tabernacle, lift the mast up, take the halyard forward and pull tight to attach front stay and I'm done. So I may be interested in how hard it is to rig the 5.5. I can do the hunter by myself reasonably easy and I'm 65+ years old. I have the option to a mooring on the Northern Chesapeake Bay for extended periods of time but I would like to be able to sail some PA and NY lakes. Will I be able to rig the 5.5 by myself?

                  Mark, I also have a Camry and the tow limit on that is 2000lb, figure that. My Camry has high miles so I want to use the Rav 4 plus the all wheel drive will be nice on the steeper wet ramps.

                  Sailer, my Rav 4 is a 4cyl. if it were a newer V6 the towing limit is higher and would be no problem.

                  I would like to express my thanks again for all your comments and advice. It looks like I will be close enough on the tow limit to consider the 5.5 as an option. So, now I will need to look for a new owner for a 1992 Hunter 18.5 and start looking for a nice 5.5.

                  Thanks again,
                  Denny

                • rcinpcb@knology.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2012
                    the fellow we bought our boat from had a rav 4. he towed the boat from texas to ft walton beach fl with no problems

                    On Wed 10/ 3/12 1:52 PM , "djs336647" djs336647@... sent:
                    > Hi, I'm interested in just about anything I can find out on the
                    > Mirage 5.5. I have had a few sailboats from a 14 Precision to a 28
                    > Sabre and just recently sold my 240 Oday which leaves me with a 18.5
                    > Hunter. One thing I am very interested in is the total towing weight
                    > of a 5.5 and trailer. I have a 2500 Chev. Suburban 454 V8 that I used
                    > to tow the 240 and at the very best it gets 10mpg and towing around 8.
                    > I also have a Toyota Rav 4 but the towing limit for it is 1500lbs and
                    > my hunter goes more than that so I am looking to sell the hunter and
                    > get a boat that will fit the towing specs. I like the 5.5 because of
                    > the foam core that don't rot and it looks by the sail area that it
                    > might be an exciting boat to sail plus I hope to get more reasons why
                    > or why not to look into a 5.5. So first I need to know if an empty 5.5
                    > with engine, battery, water, sails, etc (basically anything that can
                    > be removed reasonably) and a trailer will weigh in close to the 1500
                    > lb limit. Thanks before hand for anything you may have to offer.
                    > Denny
                    >

                    > Links:
                    > ------
                    > [3]
                    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlb3FzZDlwBF
                    > 9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA
                    > 250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM0OTI4Njc3NQ--[4]
                    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub/message/4630;_ylc=X3oDMTM0cG
                    > syajhqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBG1zZ0lkA
                    > zQ2MzAEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzQ5Mjg2Nzc1BHRwY0lkAzQ2MzA-[5]
                    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmY2QwMzE
                    > 4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwN2dGwEc2
                    > xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEzNDkyODY3NzU-?o=6[6]
                    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNmhydmFvBF9TAzk
                    > 3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaH
                    > AEc3RpbWUDMTM0OTI4Njc3NQ--[7]
                    > http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJkdGIwdGs3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0M
                    > TMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMzQ5Mjg2Nzc1[11] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Marc Lipsius
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
                      I forgot to add - I don't know where you got the "foam core" from. The hull is solid fiberglass as I believe the deck is.
                      The only foam in the boat that I know of is the recommendation I made a year or more back to stuff batts of styrofoam into the bunk areas under the rear deck and cockpit if that space is not being used, to add positive flotation to the boat.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
                        Hi Marc, here is a link to where I got that information. (http://councill.home.mindspring.com/sbjournal/seatrials85/st5.html) I hope this link works for you and it is mentioned in the first paragraph of the article.

                        I could still use some info on whether it is possible to raise the mast by oneself. As I had mentioned before I can single handed rig and launch my 18.5 Hunter and I am looking for the ability to do so on my next boat. I am looking for less cruising more sporty which I think the 5.5 would be but there are just times when I will need to go it alone.

                        Denny

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
                          I see the link, maybe it's true and I'm mistaken. but I thought the hull was solid glass.
                          I personally think that you can rig up jin poles and an A frame rig, etc., but raising the mast by yourself would be a bear, or a bitch, but could be done. It's so much easier with two or more, but still takes a fair amount of time up and down away from sailing.  It's certainly easy to sail singlehanded, you can cross sheet the jib sheets in a breeze and be OK. The boat is a lot of fun, but I would not look forward to trailering it somewhere, launching it, rigging it and unrigging it, getting it back on the trailer, etc, each time I wanted to go sailing. To me, that would take all the joy out of the day and limit the amount of times I would use it. Much better if you can leave it in the water, either at a dock or on a mooring, just jump on and go. Just my personal opinion.

> [...]

                          > Links:
                          > ------
                          > [3]
                          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlb3FzZDlwBF
                          > 9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA
                          > 250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM0OTI4Njc3NQ--[4]
                          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub/message/4630;_ylc=X3oDMTM0cG
                          > syajhqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBG1zZ0lkA
                          > zQ2MzAEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzQ5Mjg2Nzc1BHRwY0lkAzQ2MzA-[5]
                          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmY2QwMzE
                          > 4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwN2dGwEc2
                          > xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEzNDkyODY3NzU-?o=6[6]
                          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNmhydmFvBF9TAzk
                          > 3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaH

                        • Mark
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
                            see my album "rigging" in the photos section.
                            set up takes me about 1 hour from arriving at the ramp to launch. (alone)
                            Take down is about the same depends on whether I'm stowing gear for a 15 mile trip to the lake or a 200+ mile trip to the outer banks.

                            --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Marc Lipsius <mlipmd@...> wrote:

                            > I see the link, maybe it's true and I'm mistaken. but I thought the hull was solid glass.
                            > I personally think that you can rig up jin poles and an A frame rig, etc., but raising the mast by yourself would be a bear, or a bitch, but could be done. It's so much easier with two or more, but still takes a fair amount of time up and down away from sailing.  It's certainly easy to sail singlehanded, you can cross sheet the jib sheets in a breeze and be OK. The boat is a lot of fun, but I would not look forward to trailering it somewhere, launching it, rigging it and unrigging it, getting it back on the trailer, etc, each time I wanted to go sailing. To me, that would take all the joy out of the day and limit the amount of times I would use it. Much better if you can leave it in the water, either at a dock or on a mooring, just jump on and go. Just my personal opinion.
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • segelkrier
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 7, 2012
                              Hello,

                              The Mirage 5.5 is our third trailerable sailboat.  It was advertised as a boat that could be towed behind a 4 cylinder car (a VW Rabbit was mentioned in the ad copy) and I can confirm that I have towed and launched the boat with a  BMW E30 318 (take a look here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54324095@N00/8060403356/in/photostream ).We have also used a V6 front wheel drive sedan and my old truck.  A Rav-4 or any other SUV or minivan would handle the boat just fine.

                              I spent a lot of time working on this boat last summer and can confirm that the Mirage does not use foam or wood coring anywhere:  solid, durable, bullet-proof laminate.

                              I actually prefer to  set up and take down alone (other people slow the process down and add an unpredictable element to the whole process).   It takes me under thirty minutes to rig and launch the boat and less than 20 minutes to pick, dismast and derig the boat.  I raise the mast from the "aft" position.  I remove the front two shrouds and loosen the backstay turnbuckle, but leave the forestay and the other four shrouds in their "adjusted" position.  I built a very solid wooden support at the transom that holds the mast at the proper "sliding" position.  I slide the mast back until I can attach the mast hinge pin, then stand on the cabin top, bend the knees, lean forward, grab the mast and hoist it in one motion. I then grab the forestay and use it to keep forward pressure on the mast while I walk across the deck to the front of the boat. With the backstay very loose, I am able to attach the forestay easily without needing to bend the mast.  I then attach and tune the front shrouds and tune the backstay.  I stow my mainsail on the boom which speeds setup and takedown and protects the sail very well. It only takes a moment to bend on the jib and attach the 2 hp honda.  The magic-tilt mechanism makes launch and retrieval MUCH easier.

                              We took the boat out for many afternoon and evening sails this summer to a lake about 40 minutes away.  Setting the boat up for quick, safe rigging and take down ensures that it gets used.

                              All the same, I have a second boat - a cuddy-cabin Tanzer  that is 500 lbs., takes less than 10 minutes to setup and take down and tows like a dream behind a 4 cylinder.  For daysails and long-distance vacation trips, we still prefer the simplicity of this little boat to the Mirage 5.5.  That said, we really like the Mirage 5.5 as our "big" family boat.  We keep talking about selling the Tanzer since the Mirage works ALMOST as well for quick daysails and is so much more comfortable for my girls.

                              Enjoy the boat,

                              Dan

                            • djs336647@netscape.net
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 8, 2012
                                Thanks Dan,

                                Thanks for all your info. The pictures were great. You have a beautiful family, your craftsmanship is inspiring, and if you weren't so far from me I would love to just look at you boat.

                                Denny

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 8, 2012
                                  Dan,

                                  Awesome pics!

                                  If you haven't already, how about uploading to the Photo's gallery of our mirage site for all to enjoy?

                                  Thanks, Dean (BarraWind)