New owner of an old 5.5

  • jeheydt
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2012
      I have a friend who has given up on his 5.5. It's been outside in the elements, although the mast rudder/tiller have all been in a shed out of the sun and rain. He has given me the boat and trailer and I am prepared to try to bring the boat back to life. Biggest initial challenge will be removing oxidation, restoring the gelcoat, sealing thre hull, repairing stress cracks, etc. I have never done this before. If anyone out there has done this successfully and you can direct me to a good website, suggest good materials/buffers/chemicals etc to do the job I will greatly appreciate the help. Once I get the boat over to my house, I'll take photos and keep this group apprised of my progress (if that's of interest). I've never sailed the boat but I really like the looks of it and I'm excited to teach my kids to sail.
      Jay
    • Dean McNeill
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2012
        Sounds like a great project Jay. We'll be very interested in following your progress and I expect you'll find lots of help from our members.

        Dean (BarraWind)

        This brief message sent from Dean's phone

        On 2012-08-05, at 10:17 PM, "jeheydt" <jeheydt@...> wrote:

        I have a friend who has given up on his 5.5. It's been outside in the elements, although the mast rudder/tiller have all been in a shed out of the sun and rain. He has given me the boat and trailer and I am prepared to try to bring the boat back to life. Biggest initial challenge will be removing oxidation, restoring the gelcoat, sealing thre hull, repairing stress cracks, etc. I have never done this before. If anyone out there has done this successfully and you can direct me to a good website, suggest good materials/buffers/chemicals etc to do the job I will greatly appreciate the help. Once I get the boat over to my house, I'll take photos and keep this group apprised of my progress (if that's of interest). I've never sailed the boat but I really like the looks of it and I'm excited to teach my kids to sail.
        Jay

      • Justin Jones
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2012
          I have a 5.5 in decent condition. I'd love to fully restore it. But it would probably cost me more than the value of the boat. I've decided to just keep it clean and in good functioning condition. She floats, sails great, and I don't mind the scratches. But like I sad before, wish she was in new condition.

          On 2012-08-05, at 10:17 PM, "jeheydt" <jeheydt@...> wrote:

          I have a friend who has given up on his 5.5. It's been outside in the elements, although the mast rudder/tiller have all been in a shed out of the sun and rain. He has given me the boat and trailer and I am prepared to try to bring the boat back to life. Biggest initial challenge will be removing oxidation, restoring the gelcoat, sealing thre hull, repairing stress cracks, etc. I have never done this before. If anyone out there has done this successfully and you can direct me to a good website, suggest good materials/buffers/chemicals etc to do the job I will greatly appreciate the help. Once I get the boat over to my house, I'll take photos and keep this group apprised of my progress (if that's of interest). I've never sailed the boat but I really like the looks of it and I'm excited to teach my kids to sail.
          Jay

          =
        • jeheydt
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2012
            Thanks Dean
            Once I have a chance to fully go through the boat I'll see what you guys think. Definitely going to cost some money and take a lot of time but it should be fun and better than buying a new boat.
            Jay

          • rcinpcb@knology.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8, 2012
              i've always found the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.
              just pick a project and eventually the boat will be restored.
              so far i've made a new hatch cover, mast crutch for trailering, cleaned the centerboard winch, restored the rudder and tiller.
              next is the interior.
              one bite at a time...
              perserverance furthers.

              On Sun 08/ 5/12 9:33 PM , Justin Jones surviveanything@... sent:

            • lizardofoz@att.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9, 2012
                Jay,
                I rebuilt a 1969 South Coast 23 that had been sitting in the hot Kansas sun, unattended for a dozen years. The original red topsides were faded to a dull pink from oxidation.
                I lucked out and asked the service counter at a local body shop supply. They recommended "3M DX" (wish I could be more specific but I lent it to a 'friend' and never got it back). Use it per instructions with a power buffer/polisher and wash off all the grit.
                Then I applied serveral coats of Meguires Color Restore. Great stuff, especiall forcdarker color hulls. That was followed up with about a dozen coats of Trewax carnuba paste boat wax buffed with a new buffer pad.
                The results were excellent. It should work as well for you. Good luck.

                --- In mir$ageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, rcinpcb@... wrote:

> [...]
                > > 2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzQ0MjE3Mjkw?act=reply&messageNum=4602[6]
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcTlocjNzBF
                > > 9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA
                > > 250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM0NDIxNzI5MA--[7]
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub/message/4600;_ylc=X3oDMTM0cz
                > > BncnI3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBG1zZ0lkA
                > > zQ2MDIEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzQ0MjE3MjkwBHRwY0lkAzQ2MDA-[8]
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMDVjYzN
                > > vBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwN2dGwEc2
                > > xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEzNDQyMTcyOTA-?o=6[9]
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirageownersclub;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZzI5NjV1BF9TAzk
                > > 3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU0MTMzMjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaH

              • Kevin Kennedy
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 10, 2012

                  Link for 3M Marine Products Catalog:

                  http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=GS4JK4Y166ge

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 10, 2012
                    This is exactly what I needed! Thanks so much for the help. The boat is still not at my house yet but should just be a few days. I'll take some pics and send them out.