Spring

  • Captain Paul
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12 7:01 PM
      Wow, what a long time with no messages. I suspect you are all out sailing or working on your boats. I washed and waxed most of mine today and tomorrow i re-install the life lines and wax the bottom. I waxed the no-skid for the first time and it looks good. I also plan to put a few coats of varnish on the grab rails, hatch guides and
      gas door supports. I bought a whisker pole at christmas and will install soon. Anyone have a guide on how high to mount the cleat? I really want a furler but hard to swallow the price. Happy sailing all.
      Chaptain Paul
      DISCOVERY
    • Marc Lipsius
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13 9:55 AM
        Instead of a furler, rig up a downhaul up to the head of the jib, led from a turning block at the tack fitting back to the cockpit to a small cleat. It makes pulling down the jib almost no effort and keeps the sail down on the deck to deal with it later. I did that on my boat and not only did it make the job easier, but it enabled single handed sailing no problem at all.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 13 7:34 PM
          Yep, I did that a couple years ago and also like it for single handed sailing. The only problem with this setup is you get all of the sail or none. It is a great option and I wouldn't be without it. Finished waxing my boat today and if anyone is wondering about a superb wax use 3M Ultra Marine, it does a great job. Still waiting for summary photos from a 5.5 owner doing a pin replacement. Have a great week all.
          Captian Paul

          --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Marc Lipsius <mlipmd@...> wrote:

          > Instead of a furler, rig up a downhaul up to the head of the jib, led from a turning block at the tack fitting back to the cockpit to a small cleat. It makes pulling down the jib almost no effort and keeps the sail down on the deck to deal with it later. I did that on my boat and not only did it make the job easier, but it enabled single handed sailing no problem at all.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Marc Lipsius
          Message 4 of 7 , May 13 8:28 PM
            Most of the roller furling systems are not roller reefing for the jib - unless the sail has been specially constructed with a large foam luff in the center of it, the sail is very baggy in the middle and won't set well. You can't flatten it in a stiff breeze and the bagginess is a detriment, sort of defeats the purpose of rolling it up part way, plus the center of effort of the sail is too high. If you're looking for roller furling to enable roller reefing of the jib, that's an expensive and poor way to go. Better off getting a smaller working jib if you go out in or are expecting heavy air. And you can always reef the main instead of trying to partly furl up the jib,

            Yep, I did that a couple years ago and also like it for single handed sailing. The only problem with this setup is you get all of the sail or none. It is a great option and I wouldn't be without it. Finished waxing my boat today and if anyone is wondering about a superb wax use 3M Ultra Marine, it does a great job. Still waiting for summary photos from a 5.5 owner doing a pin replacement. Have a great week all.
            Captian Paul

            --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Marc Lipsius <mlipmd@...> wrote:

            > Instead of a furler, rig up a downhaul up to the head of the jib, led from a turning block at the tack fitting back to the cockpit to a small cleat. It makes pulling down the jib almost no effort and keeps the sail down on the deck to deal with it later. I did that on my boat and not only did it make the job easier, but it enabled single handed sailing no problem at all.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Captain Paul
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15 6:12 PM
              This is information I did'nt know and it makes sense. Another question - in what sequence do you de-power your sail plan? Here is my guess from most to least.
              gennaker and main
              150 jib and main
              100 jib and main
              Not sure from here, perhaps
              Reefed main and 100 jib
              Main only
              Reefed main.
              What do you guys think?
              Thanks, Paul.
              DISCOVERY

              --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Marc Lipsius <mlipmd@...> wrote:

              > Most of the roller furling systems are not roller reefing for the jib - unless the sail has been specially constructed with a large foam luff in the center of it, the sail is very baggy in the middle and won't set well. You can't flatten it in a stiff breeze and the bagginess is a detriment, sort of defeats the purpose of rolling it up part way, plus the center of effort of the sail is too high. If you're looking for roller furling to enable roller reefing of the jib, that's an expensive and poor way to go. Better off getting a smaller working jib if you go out in or are expecting heavy air. And you can always reef the main instead of trying to partly furl up the jib,
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Dean McNeill
              Message 6 of 7 , May 15 6:56 PM
                I mostly sail single-handed so seldom use gennaker and I don't have a reef in my main. I find jib points boat better than main so I keep jib up until end of sailing although I often raise main first for power off my mooring. But jib is always last sail down. My jib is a 150. A couple of years ago I outfitted my jib with a downhaul and all lines now come to cockpit, makes single-handling SO much easier!

                Dean (BarraWind)

                This brief message sent from Dean's phone

                On 2012-05-15, at 10:12 PM, "Captain Paul" <jensen_53@...> wrote:

                This is information I did'nt know and it makes sense. Another question - in what sequence do you de-power your sail plan? Here is my guess from most to least.
                gennaker and main
                150 jib and main
                100 jib and main
                Not sure from here, perhaps
                Reefed main and 100 jib
                Main only
                Reefed main.
                What do you guys think?
                Thanks, Paul.
                DISCOVERY

                --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Marc Lipsius <mlipmd@...> wrote:

                > Most of the roller furling systems are not roller reefing for the jib - unless the sail has been specially constructed with a large foam luff in the center of it, the sail is very baggy in the middle and won't set well. You can't flatten it in a stiff breeze and the bagginess is a detriment, sort of defeats the purpose of rolling it up part way, plus the center of effort of the sail is too high. If you're looking for roller furling to enable roller reefing of the jib, that's an expensive and poor way to go. Better off getting a smaller working jib if you go out in or are expecting heavy air. And you can always reef the main instead of trying to partly furl up the jib,

              • Dave Carmichael
                Message 7 of 7 , May 17 4:38 PM
                  I like both the main and small jib to keep the boat balanced. If that is too much sail I head for the marina. :)

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  =