outboard

  • dave
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2012
      I have a mercury 4hp and a johnson 9.9 that im considering what size outboard do u guys run from what I can find out the merc ways 46 lbs and the johnson 72 lbs both run great, merc has the built in tank
    • Dean McNeill
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2012
        I have a Merc 7.5 on mine. It actually weighs in at 80lbs as it has electric start (which I don't even use). I had a 4hp Sears on it originally and it wasn't powerful enough in some of the currents/tides we have here.

        If you need the power due to currents, go bigger, if not then go lighter.

        Dean

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2012
          its not need so much Im on a inlind lake in the summer very very light wind I was wondering if the 9.9 wouldnt be alot more user freindly on weekend where there isnt alot of sailing to be done. just motor around

          --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Dean McNeill <deanmcneill@...> wrote:

          > I have a Merc 7.5 on mine. It actually weighs in at 80lbs as it has electric start (which I don't even use). I had a 4hp Sears on it originally and it wasn't powerful enough in some of the currents/tides we have here.
          >
          > If you need the power due to currents, go bigger, if not then go lighter.
          >
          > Dean
          >

          > On 2012-03-07, at 5:19 PM, dave wrote:
          >
          > > I have a mercury 4hp and a johnson 9.9 that im considering what size outboard do u guys run from what I can find out the merc ways 46 lbs and the johnson 72 lbs both run great, merc has the built in tank

        • Dave Carmichael
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2012
            I have a Tohatsu 5hp with the external tank. I think it is about 55 lbs. I like it a lot.

            its not need so much Im on a inlind lake in the summer very very light wind I was wondering if the 9.9 wouldnt be alot more user freindly on weekend where there isnt alot of sailing to be done. just motor around

            --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Dean McNeill <deanmcneill@...> wrote:

            > I have a Merc 7.5 on mine. It actually weighs in at 80lbs as it has electric start (which I don't even use). I had a 4hp Sears on it originally and it wasn't powerful enough in some of the currents/tides we have here.
            >
            > If you need the power due to currents, go bigger, if not then go lighter.
            >
            > Dean
            >

            > On 2012-03-07, at 5:19 PM, dave wrote:
            >
            > > I have a mercury 4hp and a johnson 9.9 that im considering what size outboard do u guys run from what I can find out the merc ways 46 lbs and the johnson 72 lbs both run great, merc has the built in tank

          • Gary Dowdey
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2012
              I'm using a 4 HP Merc on mine. Weighs about 55 lbs. The mount shakes a little but I do have the motor tethered to the boat as everyone should. I use the internal tank at times and have an external tank for the long hauls.

              I have a Tohatsu 5hp with the external tank. I think it is about 55 lbs. I like it a lot.

              its not need so much Im on a inlind lake in the summer very very light wind I was wondering if the 9.9 wouldnt be alot more user freindly on weekend where there isnt alot of sailing to be done. just motor around

              --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Dean McNeill <deanmcneill@...> wrote:

              > I have a Merc 7.5 on mine. It actually weighs in at 80lbs as it has electric start (which I don't even use). I had a 4hp Sears on it originally and it wasn't powerful enough in some of the currents/tides we have here.
              >
              > If you need the power due to currents, go bigger, if not then go lighter.
              >
              > Dean
              >

              > On 2012-03-07, at 5:19 PM, dave wrote:
              >
              > > I have a mercury 4hp and a johnson 9.9 that im considering what size outboard do u guys run from what I can find out the merc ways 46 lbs and the johnson 72 lbs both run great, merc has the built in tank

            • Dave Califf
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
                I use a Honda four stroke - 2 horse on mine and it works just fine - tides, currents and all. Dave Califf

                its not need so much Im on a inlind lake in the summer very very light wind I was wondering if the 9.9 wouldnt be alot more user freindly on weekend where there isnt alot of sailing to be done. just motor around

                --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Dean McNeill <deanmcneill@...> wrote:

                > I have a Merc 7.5 on mine. It actually weighs in at 80lbs as it has electric start (which I don't even use). I had a 4hp Sears on it originally and it wasn't powerful enough in some of the currents/tides we have here.
                >
                > If you need the power due to currents, go bigger, if not then go lighter.
                >
                > Dean
                >

                > On 2012-03-07, at 5:19 PM, dave wrote:
                >
                > > I have a mercury 4hp and a johnson 9.9 that im considering what size outboard do u guys run from what I can find out the merc ways 46 lbs and the johnson 72 lbs both run great, merc has the built in tank

              • Captain Paul
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
                  I use an 8hp Evenrude and I feel it is to large and certainly to heavy. It's what I have however. If I were to buy something, it would be 4-6 hp unit and I would look for a contained tank with optional external connection. As many folks indicate, the decision has to be based on your local conditions and of course, $$$'s. Happy sailing all.