New floor boards

  • Captain Paul
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2012
      Happy 2012 all!
      I am going to make new floor boards and storage compartment covers and desire your input on what type of plywood to use. Living in North Dakota I have little marine material to chose from. What have you used and what do you feel is the best matl? Also, what do you believe the original covers were made from?
      Thanks all.
      Captain Paul
      "DISCOVERY"
    • Dean
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2012
        Indeed, Happy New Year to all!

        Interested to hear what your plans are for floor boards Paul. Always wanted to do that myself to sharpen up the below decks look.

        As for compartment covers, mine (I expect original) were rather thin marine plywood...with a teak or mahogany veneer as the surface (hard to tell as they were painted white). They were cracked and not great when I got the boat. I've since replaced with MDF (1/4" I think) which has worked out okay. I think down the road I'll use good quality plywood (not marine grade as it's way too pricey!) and then seal with 2 part epoxy... I think that will give waterproof capability and still not break the bank.

        Cheers, Dean (BarraWind)

        --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, "Captain Paul" <jensen_53@...> wrote:

        > Happy 2012 all!
        > I am going to make new floor boards and storage compartment covers and desire your input on what type of plywood to use. Living in North Dakota I have little marine material to chose from. What have you used and what do you feel is the best matl? Also, what do you believe the original covers were made from?
        > Thanks all.
        > Captain Paul
        > "DISCOVERY"

      • Laura Demara
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2012
          Happy New Year To You Too and To All,
          In My Mirage 32 The Floors are made of Teak and Holly Veneer Plywood, approx 2' wide with a joint down the middle. The Wall  and Compartment Sections are Teak Veneer Plwood, I've seen this advertised online. The Compartment Door sections and the rest of the small trim pieces are solid Teak.
          I've re-done my floors and when I did I sealed them with a clear floor sealer  from lowes $ 50.00 top and bottom because when I removed them the bottoms had not been sealed and where molded from condensation. That being said, I think any good Plywood with a veneer of your chosing stained and completely
          sealed will work, oak with a teak stain looks great,  Jamestown Distributors is one source for the teak and holly hope the helps capt. D

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2012
            Laura,

            Sounds like you have a Canadian designed Mirage which came in various lengths. This board is geared towards owners of the Florida Mirage of which there's two models, the 5.5 and the 236. You're certainly welcome to be a member and share your knowledge, just didn't want you to think others here would have similar boats to yours.

            Cheers, Dean (BarraWind)