Repairing rudder and what is the rope supposed to do????

  • bartdhull
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2011
      It's almost cool enough to go sailing here in Arizona.

      I was looking at my rudder as I always hear it draining water when I pull it out of the water. It is split at the top on the seam line and a eye cleat where the rope is attached.

      I'm guessing the rope is supposed to pull the rudder up to be beached. Doesn't seem to work that way as it is presently run on my rudder. Does anybody have a pic of a setup that works? Is the rudder heavy enough to stay down at higher speeds?

      What would be best to repair the split seam? Is there a foam core in the middle of the rudder?

      Thanks

      Bart D. Hull
      Tempe, AZ
      "Sailing Away"
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2011
        there shouldn't be any splits or cracks, the "eye cleat" is used with a line to hold the rudder DOWN (on mine anyway) the rudder floats unless I tie it down (eye cleat through 2 small holes in aluminium bracket)
        I'd recommend fiber glass as a fix. My rudder is light weight but I always assumed it was wood with a possible coat of F/G on it.