Help replacing motor bracket springs?

  • Dean
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 6:06 AM
      I have a Fulton aluminum outboard motor bracket on my 5.5. It's in great condition but springs are shot so it won't raise my 7.5 hp engine. I bought replacement springs and have disassembled the mount. I know how to put it back together but wonder if anyone has any hints for tensioning the springs a bit so I can get it in without it becoming a rocket launcher with me as the rocket. Springs won't be in correct position for bolts unless the springs are tensioned a bit it seems

      I only need to tension them about an inch to get the bolts through. Or did I just waste $35 on springs and have to replace the whole dang thing with a new unit?

      Dean (BarraWind)
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 8:36 AM
        Whenever I have to deal with springs like that I compress them in a bench vice and tie them in 2-3 places with steel tie wire. Put them in and then cut the wire and pull it out.