It's time for a new thread

  • Captain Paul
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2011
      Geeeezzzz, I keep looking at the site for a new topic (thread) and we all seem to be stuck with winter blues. I'm very envious of all the trailer sailors that get to go to Lake Havasue in the next couple weeks.
      So, tell me what are your winter / Spring sailing plans?

      I plan to install a new OB motor swing mount to replace my factory "tube" mount that seems to flimsy.

      I'm also going to enter two regattas this summer in Minnesota. I just hope I don't get in anyones way and cause a protest. Tell me about your PHRF rating experience, spinnaker (is a gennaker rated as a spinnaker?), number of crew (3 vs 2 any affect on PHRF?)

      I'd also like to re-paint my trailor, but this is kind of a secondary item.

      In the next year or so I want to investigate my swing keel pin to ensure it is still in good condition or replace it. I'm also going to replace my galvanized keel cable clamps with SS ones. Anyone have a McMaster part number to share?

      My stanchion project is nearly complete and the article is ready to be sent to Good Old Boat but I need a couple good sailing photos of them before I send it in. It will be fun to see a Mirage in the GOB mag.

      So, wake up you winter sailors and tell me what's on your mind.
      Just for refernce we've had 45 inches of snow this winter and -37F wind chill this past week.

      Captain Paul
      "Discovery"
    • Dave Carmichael
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2011
        Hi Paul,

        I've been thinking about spring and sailing as well.  I would like to replace my motor mount, but may just make a new pad. I'll probably use starboard.

        I would also like to pull the boat and put carpet along side the keep to keep the banging to a minimum. I have my Mirage at a marina. I can pull it on the trailer for a bit but probably not long enough for the glue to set. I hate to step the mast... Maybe I can work something out to leave it out overnight.

        Please everyone, share part #s when you do any work. I'd like to order the keel pin just to have it on hand.

        Good luck with your article.

        Dave