Lost Keel - What should I do :(

  • thomas_nowacoski
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 12, 2010
      I am hoping to call on the wisdom of this group. I pulled my 5.5 off the mooring yesterday for the winter. She had been sitting on a mooring for about a month untouched since I have been so busy. Much to my surprise, when I loaded her up on the trailer, my keel was missing. The pin was broken and the cable was snapped. I know she road out some nasty rough water while on buoy so I assume the pin was warn enough and finally gave. I might be able to salvage the keel (if I can find it) but if not, does anyone have suggestions on how I can get another one?
    • Joe Waters
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 12, 2010
        There is one for sale in SC. Gentleman named Owen. Give me a call @ 803.957.5638 & I'll get you guys hooked up...........Thanks.......Joe Waters

        I am hoping to call on the wisdom of this group. I pulled my 5.5 off the mooring yesterday for the winter. She had been sitting on a mooring for about a month untouched since I have been so busy. Much to my surprise, when I loaded her up on the trailer, my keel was missing. The pin was broken and the cable was snapped. I know she road out some nasty rough water while on buoy so I assume the pin was warn enough and finally gave. I might be able to salvage the keel (if I can find it) but if not, does anyone have suggestions on how I can get another one?

      • Dean McNeill
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 12, 2010
          That's a recurring nightmare of mine. Glad to hear our friend Joe has
          a lead for you. If you do buy it (or retrieve your existing from the
          brink) could I ask you to to take some measurements and send them
          along? I'm building a 'How To' area on our site where I'll post
          helpful info gleaned from our members' posts... And this will be a
          valuable addition in case others suffer a similar fate.

          Thanks, Dean (BarraWind)

          --
          Sent from my mobile device
        • Gary Holcombe
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 12, 2010
            Better to try to salvage the keel.   It is cast iron and may be located and picked with large enough drag magnets.  A diver may be worth the cost too. Good luck! GaryH

            That's a recurring nightmare of mine. Glad to hear our friend Joe has
            a lead for you. If you do buy it (or retrieve your existing from the
            brink) could I ask you to to take some measurements and send them
            along? I'm building a 'How To' area on our site where I'll post
            helpful info gleaned from our members' posts... And this will be a
            valuable addition in case others suffer a similar fate.

            Thanks, Dean (BarraWind)

            On 10/12/10, thomas_nowacoski <tnowacos@...> wrote:
            > I am hoping to call on the wisdom of this group. I pulled my 5.5 off the
            > mooring yesterday for the winter. She had been sitting on a mooring for
            > about a month untouched since I have been so busy. Much to my surprise,
            > when I loaded her up on the trailer, my keel was missing. The pin was
            > broken and the cable was snapped. I know she road out some nasty rough
            > water while on buoy so I assume the pin was warn enough and finally gave. I
            > might be able to salvage the keel (if I can find it) but if not, does anyone
            > have suggestions on how I can get another one?

            --
            Sent from my mobile device

          • Marc Lipsius
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 12, 2010
              Good luck on diving and finding it.  You might be able to get a line through it where the pin goes through, but be aware that when you go to pull it out, it weighs 302 lbs.

              I am hoping to call on the wisdom of this group. I pulled my 5.5 off the mooring yesterday for the winter. She had been sitting on a mooring for about a month untouched since I have been so busy. Much to my surprise, when I loaded her up on the trailer, my keel was missing. The pin was broken and the cable was snapped. I know she road out some nasty rough water while on buoy so I assume the pin was warn enough and finally gave. I might be able to salvage the keel (if I can find it) but if not, does anyone have suggestions on how I can get another one?

            • Dave Carmichael
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 12, 2010
                I would check to see how much it would cost to have a diver retrieve it. It should be no trouble using air bags.

                Good luck on diving and finding it.  You might be able to get a line through it where the pin goes through, but be aware that when you go to pull it out, it weighs 302 lbs.

                I am hoping to call on the wisdom of this group. I pulled my 5.5 off the mooring yesterday for the winter. She had been sitting on a mooring for about a month untouched since I have been so busy. Much to my surprise, when I loaded her up on the trailer, my keel was missing. The pin was broken and the cable was snapped. I know she road out some nasty rough water while on buoy so I assume the pin was warn enough and finally gave. I might be able to salvage the keel (if I can find it) but if not, does anyone have suggestions on how I can get another one?

              • Angus Arthur
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 13, 2010

                  Angus Arthur
                  6 Priorwood Gardens
                  Glasgow  G13 1GD

                  0141 959 8418
                  07834348785

                  On 12 Oct 2010, at 20:04, Gary Holcombe <ghol@...> wrote:

                  Better to try to salvage the keel.   It is cast iron and may be located and picked with large enough drag magnets.  A diver may be worth the cost too. Good luck! GaryH

                  That's a recurring nightmare of mine. Glad to hear our friend Joe has
                  a lead for you. If you do buy it (or retrieve your existing from the
                  brink) could I ask you to to take some measurements and send them
                  along? I'm building a 'How To' area on our site where I'll post
                  helpful info gleaned from our members' posts... And this will be a
                  valuable addition in case others suffer a similar fate.

                  Thanks, Dean (BarraWind)

                  On 10/12/10, thomas_nowacoski <tnowacos@...> wrote:
                  > I am hoping to call on the wisdom of this group. I pulled my 5.5 off the
                  > mooring yesterday for the winter. She had been sitting on a mooring for
                  > about a month untouched since I have been so busy. Much to my surprise,
                  > when I loaded her up on the trailer, my keel was missing. The pin was
                  > broken and the cable was snapped. I know she road out some nasty rough
                  > water while on buoy so I assume the pin was warn enough and finally gave. I
                  > might be able to salvage the keel (if I can find it) but if not, does anyone
                  > have suggestions on how I can get another one?

                  --
                  Sent from my mobile device

                • Thomas Nowacoski
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
                    Since it is still winter here in NE US and my Mirage is still bundled up and my keel is still at the bottom of the lake, I have been thinking... What are your thoughts on replacing the swing keel with a full length fixed keel or even water ballast?

                    --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Dave Carmichael <dave01dave@...> wrote:

                    > I would check to see how much it would cost to have a diver retrieve it. It
                    > should be no trouble using air bags.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Kas Breslin
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
                      I had divers retrieve a motor, they did a great job, however, I knew the approximate area where the motor would be found.  Do you know about where your keel fell?

                      Kas Breslin

                      Groupon™ Official Site
                      Groupon.com
                    • Sailer
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                        --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, "thomas_nowacoski" <tnowacos@...> wrote:

                        > I am hoping to call on the wisdom of this group. I pulled my 5.5 off the mooring yesterday for the winter. She had been sitting on a mooring for about a month untouched since I have been so busy. Much to my surprise, when I loaded her up on the trailer, my keel was missing. The pin was broken and the cable was snapped. I know she road out some nasty rough water while on buoy so I assume the pin was warn enough and finally gave. I might be able to salvage the keel (if I can find it) but if not, does anyone have suggestions on how I can get another one?

                        Tomas : As you can tell by the photos I tried to upload. I'm lucky my keel wasn't left at the bottom of Lake Havasu. Looking at your photos and then mine. I don't think your damage was caused by tailoring. It just a week point an after 30 or so years it just blow out. Not sure on the fix yet but it's going a fun one.
                      • Thomas Nowacoski
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 21, 2011
                          Update! Wish me luck, I have a diver coming to the lake this weekend to locate and cable my keel! I already have the boat on the mooring where the keel was lost and I plan on using the keel winch to hoist it to the surface. I am not 100% sure what I am going to do with it then but I do have access to a boat lift with a steel cradle. Any suggestions on repinning? I know that I need to use a bigger pin but how about a bushing? What has been used? Also, what has anyone used to reduce the horizontal "slop"?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 21, 2011
                            IF everything goes as planned, I should have the keel on dry land this weekend. I will document the process as well as measure and photograph the keel. I will also try to document the pin replacement.

                            --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Dean McNeill <deanmcneill@...> wrote:

                            > That's a recurring nightmare of mine. Glad to hear our friend Joe has
                            > a lead for you. If you do buy it (or retrieve your existing from the
                            > brink) could I ask you to to take some measurements and send them
                            > along? I'm building a 'How To' area on our site where I'll post
                            > helpful info gleaned from our members' posts... And this will be a
                            > valuable addition in case others suffer a similar fate.
                            >
                            > Thanks, Dean (BarraWind)
                            >
                            > On 10/12/10, thomas_nowacoski <tnowacos@...> wrote:
                            > > I am hoping to call on the wisdom of this group. I pulled my 5.5 off the
                            > > mooring yesterday for the winter. She had been sitting on a mooring for
                            > > about a month untouched since I have been so busy. Much to my surprise,
                            > > when I loaded her up on the trailer, my keel was missing. The pin was
                            > > broken and the cable was snapped. I know she road out some nasty rough
                            > > water while on buoy so I assume the pin was warn enough and finally gave. I
                            > > might be able to salvage the keel (if I can find it) but if not, does anyone
                            > > have suggestions on how I can get another one?
                            > >

                            > --
                            > Sent from my mobile device

                          • txalfanut
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 21, 2011
                              Good luck! I really hope you find it...I finally found a keel, but getting it shipped was not cheap :-(
                              I'll also post some details on my project of getting it back in with a bigger pin. I had it drilled to a 3/4" hole...first step!

                              --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Nowacoski" <tnowacos@...> wrote:

                              > IF everything goes as planned, I should have the keel on dry land this weekend. I will document the process as well as measure and photograph the keel. I will also try to document the pin replacement.
                              >
                              > --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Dean McNeill <deanmcneill@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > That's a recurring nightmare of mine. Glad to hear our friend Joe has
                              > > a lead for you. If you do buy it (or retrieve your existing from the
                              > > brink) could I ask you to to take some measurements and send them
                              > > along? I'm building a 'How To' area on our site where I'll post
                              > > helpful info gleaned from our members' posts... And this will be a
                              > > valuable addition in case others suffer a similar fate.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks, Dean (BarraWind)
                              > >
                              > > On 10/12/10, thomas_nowacoski <tnowacos@> wrote:
                              > > > I am hoping to call on the wisdom of this group. I pulled my 5.5 off the
                              > > > mooring yesterday for the winter. She had been sitting on a mooring for
                              > > > about a month untouched since I have been so busy. Much to my surprise,
                              > > > when I loaded her up on the trailer, my keel was missing. The pin was
                              > > > broken and the cable was snapped. I know she road out some nasty rough
                              > > > water while on buoy so I assume the pin was warn enough and finally gave. I
                              > > > might be able to salvage the keel (if I can find it) but if not, does anyone
                              > > > have suggestions on how I can get another one?
                              > > >

                              > > --
                              > > Sent from my mobile device

                            • bartdhull
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 22, 2011
                                Why not use garbage bags and fill them with air to float the keel to the surface? Should be able to use the pivot hole or the cable hole to get a grab on the keel. Then you can drag it to shore.

                                I don't know what you'd do with it under the boat. My Mirage doesn't track worth a hoot without the keel down even with the outboard running. Can't imagine with it twisting under the boat.

                                Bart
                                Tempe, AZ

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 23, 2011
                                  If one life jacket can float 150 lbs and the keel weighs 350 lbs... :)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 24, 2011
                                    A life jacket has either 22 lbs. of buoyancy or 35  lbs, depending on  it's size.  It's meant for up to a 150 lb individual to give them that amount of additional buoyancy so they stay afloat, as that person has some buoyancy already and does not "weigh" 150 lbs. when in the water. It will not support 150 lbs. of dead weight, like a pile of bricks for instance.
                                    You would need 10 large life jackets to float the keel.
                                    If you can get a line on it through the pivot hole you should be able to winch it up off the bottom and drag it to shore like previously mentioned.