New headsail

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
      My Mirage came with a 155% Genoa but it's filthy dirty and covered in dried up mold stains. It looks totally gray. Unwilling to fly that sail (I know that sounds vain)I just bought another headsail off ebay for a great price but the measurements are a little different. I also found another website that gave me the measurements of the Genoa they offered for the Mirage 5.5 but it was around $500. Here are the measurements of all three and how they stack up:

      155% Genoa (with boat) luff- 24'3" foot- 13'2" leech- 26'9"

      Online spec'd Genoa- luff- 26.14 foot- 13.30 leech- 24.62

      Ebay headsail luff- 24'8" foot- 14'10" leech- 25'3"

      The ebay sail's luff is right between the other two but the foot is around 18" longer. What kind of problems do you forsee me having using the slightly larger sail? Any suggestions? Anyone happen to know offhand what their boats headsail measurements are?
      Thanks,
      Steve
    • false
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
        Joe Waters at Watersails in Lexington, SC can help you with those numbers.

        Gary Dowdey
        Columbia, SC
        Mirage 5.5  151

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
          I'll be glad to help. 803,957.5638 or www.waterssails.net..............
          Thanks...Joe Waters

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
            Gary- Thanks for the information. Joe -can you clean sails as well as manufacture them? I have a good headsail now but would like to get the original Genoa 155% cleaned.
            Thanks,
            Steve

            --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Joe Waters <waterssails@...> wrote:

            > I'll be glad to help. 803,957.5638 or www.waterssails.net..............
            > Thanks...Joe Waters

          • Joe Waters
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
              Yes but I'll need to talk with you about it. perhaps you can do it yourself. I'll be  glad to help. 803.957.5638.............Joe Waters

              Gary- Thanks for the information. Joe -can you clean sails as well as manufacture them? I have a good headsail now but would like to get the original Genoa 155% cleaned.
              Thanks,
              Steve

              --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Joe Waters <waterssails@...> wrote:

              > I'll be glad to help. 803,957.5638 or www.waterssails.net..............
              > Thanks...Joe Waters

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
                Joe,
                It was great talking with you over the phone this morning. Thanks so much for all the great info and encouragement. I'll call you later this month about the Genoa. Good luck with your next race!
                Steve

                --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Joe Waters <waterssails@...> wrote:

                > Yes but I'll need to talk with you about it. perhaps you can do it yourself. I'll be  glad to help. 803.957.5638.............Joe Waters

              • Bart Hull
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010

                  Go to the sailrite site and click on their Sailplan database.http://www.sailritesails.com/  They have all the dimensions for all the Mirage 5.5.sails including spinnaker.

                  I bought a never used North Sails spinnaker off EBAY for $150 by matching up the dimensions. It was a little bit larger as well.  (3 inches top to bottom, 6 inches wider side to side)
                  Turns out the G-Scow fleet ruled out symmetrical spinnakers and a guy had two new ones and one used one.to get rid of.

                  I love recycling through EBAY.  How else would you get rid of this stuff and how would you ever find out someone had a item like this. I never would have been able to afford a spinnaker otherwise.

                  I get ALOT of stainless gear off EBAY as well. My local West Marine doesn't stock too much sailboat stuff and their prices are just insane!
                  --
                  Bart

                  Bart D. Hull
                  Tempe, AZ

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
                    Bart- Now I remember the sailritesails.com is where I got the dimensions for the Genoa for the Mirage. I watch ebay quite a bit myself. In fact the head sail I just bought came from a gentleman out of Dallas. It's a little longer in the foot but the luff seems about right (that was the primary measurement I was concerned with). It just came in yesterday and after checking it out it's in good shape with a couple of small stains. I managed to get the sail with shipping for less than $100 which I feel is a good deal.

                    West Marine...ugghh..where to start. I visit West marine a couple of times a month but the sailing section is just one side of one isle. The SS hardware is priced beyond crazy! I found a 3/16" SS twisted shackle for $19.95 at West Marine but found one new on ebay for $9.95 +2.95 shipping. I recieved it in four days. Not bad. The only good thing I've found there is checking for precut or end of reel line that they will sell at a discount.

                    Again, thanks for the website and advice! As soon as it finally stops raining (no end in sight) I plan on taking out the Mirage with the newer headsail. Hopefully the extra area will give me a little extra umph in the speed dept.
                    Steve