Anyone sail a Mirage 5.5 on the Atlantic or Pacific?

  • bdhull01
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2010
      I've done a bunch of sailing on the local lakes here in Arizona and miss the steady winds off the coast of L.A. or San Diego.

      Having worked on my boat quite a bit, I'm a bit concerned with the thinness of the fiberglass, especially on the transom in the rougher waters of the Pacific Ocean.

      I'm dreaming of a Long Beach to Catalina Island trip this summer.

      Thoughts? Concerns? Experiences?

      Thanks

      Bart D. Hull
      "Sailing Away"
      Tempe, AZ
    • Dean
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2010
        Bart,

        I sail mine in the Atlantic, off Nova Scotia Canada. Check out the members location map.... I'm currently #27.

        I've had no issues with glass thickness or solidness, however I do find the boat "bangs" a lot on waves.... this is due to the shortness of the boat and the light weight. A friend had a 30' C&C and it was a little better (because it's longer and heavier) but he thought the same about his boat.

        He has since upgraded to a 37' Tartan and we sailed that from Nova Scotia to the Bahama's and back last year and it was as solid as could be through the waves.... 'cause it's pretty heavy!

        I wouldn't venture into real heavy seas with my Mirage because it sits ON the water rather than plows through it.... making for a pretty bouncy ride, but I think it's solid enough to take a fair amount of punishment.