Added pictures "Steves Mirage"

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2010
      I took the Mirage out again today on Canyon lake in central Texas. The weather was beautiful..very light winds but still really enjoyed being out on the lake. Actually thought I was moving along pretty well until a Catalina came flying by me...looks like it had a 150% Genoa and a well seasoned skipper...it was very humbling to say the least. I definitely need to get my Genoa cleaned so I can use it on light wind days. Hope you enjoy the pictures.
      Steve
    • Sailer
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2010
        Steve: I'm sory for your pane. What was the size of the flying Catalina? Goes to show. It ant the boat, it the sailor. nice photos.
        Ed O.
      • prndl420@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2010
          Cat 22's, 25's, 250's, Helms 24's can all beat beat with a 5.5 Been there and done that.
          But I did have a Cat 25 sneak up on me near the finish line with no wind. Still can't figure that one out.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2010
            After reviewing some online pictures I believe it was a Catalina 27. Looked alot like this one:

            http://www.sailingtexas.com/scatalina27116.html

            As he sailed by me on a port tack on my port I was trying to match my sail trim to his. Everything looked pretty close but that big Genoa he had wrapped back around about half way to the stern was pulling him past me quickly. There are alot of racers on that lake and their monthly race is this weekend. Looks like he was practicing. I have volunteered to be on the race committee boat this weekend so I might see his Cat again. Meanwhile I'll eat a big slice of humble pie and try and figure out how to clean all the mold off my 130 Genoa so I can get the Mirage up to speed...so to speak. Either way it was nice to be out on the water!
            Steve

            --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, <prndl420@...> wrote:

            > Cat 22's, 25's, 250's, Helms 24's can all beat beat with a 5.5 Been there and done that.
            > But I did have a Cat 25 sneak up on me near the finish line with no wind. Still can't figure that one out.

          • Sailer
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2010
              So all those catalinas' 22,25,27,ext. you say are faster than the Mirage. That's not what I was told from the guy that sold me this boat. (go figure). I haven't got the boat in the water yet, so getting passed by catalina nite be just part of the lurning cruve.
            • Joe Waters
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
                Possibly the Mirage is not set up correctly. We've had no roblem with Catalinas, or most any other boats. The 5.5 will definately sail to it's phrf numbers.

                From: Sailer <edwinoneal@...>
                To: mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 11:56 PM

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
                  When I purchased my Mirage I never got the chance for the previous owner to show me how to rig any of the boat so it's all been trial and error on my part. I have downloaded the manual but there's not many pictures to help out (I'm a visual learner). The main sail is easy, the headsail is where I run into problems. I'm running a 100% Horizon brand jib, the clew is about 1' forward of the mast. There are two fairleads, one on either side of deck outside the teak grabrails. Last time I tried running the jib sheets through the fairleads then back to the blocks out side the winches, then to the winches then inside to the v cleates. It didn't seem to let the jib "open" enough for a good slot to be created between the jib and the main. Next I tried running the sheets around the shrouds and back to the blocks then to the winches...it seems the slot is a little too wide and the jib sail didn't have a good shape. Are most of you using both jib sheets to create the sail shape or just the leeward and letting the windward go "lazy'? I'd like to see some pictures of how you all are rigging your headsails?
                  Thanks,
                  Steve