Spinnaker, Gennaker and halyard requirements

  • Captain Paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
      I recently E-mailed a sailing instructor asking about a gennaker. His comment back was relative to the need for a spinnaker halyard that was above the front mast stay.
      I can see the reason for this and wanted to know what other Mirage owners were doing relative to this. Do you alter the mast head to place a pulley atop or can it be used the way it is?
      I actually think you could move the front stay to the same pin the jib halyard is mounted on and this would place the halyard slightly in front of the stay.

      Your thoughts please?

      Thanks much.

      Paul Jensen
    • Joe Waters
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2009
        I use a second genoa halyard. Works fine.....Joe Waters

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2009
          Paul,

          My Mirage has a large block just below the masthead for the spinnaker halyard. It is connected to the mast with a two screw eye strap. I use 3/8" New England rope, no steel cable. All my other halyards run through the mast.

          If I broke the jib halyard this would also work to pull up the jib.

          I'm still looking for the right day to fly the spinnaker I have. Every time I've been out it's been too windy or just gusty.

          Bart D. Hull
          Tempe, AZ