Re: [Mirage Owners Club] Re: broken keel pin

  • Dave Carmichael
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2008
      Thanks for all the info Gary and Craig. My pin is fine but I would like to have the larger pin on hand for when the time comes. If anyone has the info for the 5/8 pin that I would need to buy/order one I would appreciate having it.

      Larry, could you tell us the details for the pin you decide to use?

      Dave

      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2008
        Hi Dave,
        I just used a stainless 5/8" hex head bolt with course threads. I got
        it from "Fastenall". I forget the length, maybe 5 1/2 or 6". How is
        the bushing in your keel? If any of this stuff is worn, I would go
        ahead and install the 5/8" bushing and bolt. It is bulletproof. The
        bushing can be epoxied into the keel. Mine had a rather large hole
        where the bushing used to be. I installed the bushing, then
        marine-texed around it to fill the rest of the hole. Oh, and you also
        have to drill the hole out in your centerboard trunk a little bigger
        for the 5/8" bolt. If there are any imperfection you should fill the
        outside surface with fiberglass resin, then grind or sand down smooth
        so the rubber washer has a flat surface to seal. You also have to
        grind down below the hole on the outside (In the cabin) to make space
        for the rubber and stainless washers.

        I don't like having the pin fiberglassed over, as maintenance is
        impossible. Now I can drop the keel easily to paint or reinstall
        carpet shims, or inspect the bushing.

        Gary Flo

        --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Dave Carmichael
        <dave01dave@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for all the info Gary and Craig. My pin is fine but I would
        like to have the larger pin on hand for when the time comes. If anyone
        has the info for the 5/8 pin that I would need to buy/order one I
        would appreciate having it.

        > Larry, could you tell us the details for the pin you decide to use?
        >
        > Dave

      • Dave Carmichael
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2008
          Hi Gary,

          I had the yard repair my keep pin last time. I haven't seen the trunk or keel taken apart. If there is a next time I want to make sure it is the final time. Thanks for the info as always. :)

          <dave01dave@ ...> wrote:

          > Thanks for all the info Gary and Craig. My pin is fine but I would
          like to have the larger pin on hand for when the time comes. If anyone
          has the info for the 5/8 pin that I would need to buy/order one I
          would appreciate having it.

          > Larry, could you tell us the details for the pin you decide to use?
          >
          > Dave

        • Dave Califf
          Message 4 of 20 , May 5, 2008
            Hi Gary-Flo - Dave Califf here!

            Yeah! I could use the 3/16 bushings. I am in the midst of refitting "Uncle Puck" and dropping the keel. I also will probably go back with 5/8" stainless bolt and rubber washers. Give me an a-mail with a price and I will send details.

            Question - Have you ever heard of anyone attaching an auto or truck shock absorber to the keel? Maybe just a few inches aft of where the cable is attached and run up through a built up extension of the cable well. Just an idea I'm toying with.

            Dave

            > I think I posted my approach to this problem a while back.
            > After
            > grinding out the bent 1/2" pin, I replaced it with a
            > 5/8" stainless
            > bolt. I did NOT encase it in fiberglass, but used rubber
            > washers and
            > stainless washers to seal the water out. I did a quick job
            > using a
            > 3/4" galvanized pipe nipple as a bushing in the keel
            > epoxied in with
            > marinetex. Fits perfect. Just checked the bushing this
            > weekend and
            > is in new condition after 2 years, but I sail in fresh
            > water. 5/8"
            > bolt is NOT going to bend.
            >
            > I had already bought 4 Mcmaster bronze bushings for
            > replacement, but
            > don't need them. Anyone who wants 5/8" keel pin
            > bushings I have them.
            > 3 different thicknesses from 1/8-5/32-3/16
            >
            > Gary Flo

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • Kevin Kennedy
            Message 5 of 20 , May 6, 2008

              I have my mirage on the trailer in my back yard (on a slab) and would like to raise it up and drop the keel.

              Can anybody recommend a good place to buy jack stands for putting the boat on?  I watch eBay but never see sailboat jack stands.  Marine supply houses seem ridiculously expensive.

              How much clearance do I need between the bottom of the hull and the slab to get the keel out?

              Thanks,

              Kevin

              Yeah! I could use the 3/16 bushings. I am in the midst of refitting "Uncle Puck" and dropping the keel. I also will probably go back with 5/8" stainless bolt and rubber washers. Give me an a-mail with a price and I will send details.

              Question - Have you ever heard of anyone attaching an auto or truck shock absorber to the keel? Maybe just a few inches aft of where the cable is attached and run up through a built up extension of the cable well. Just an idea I'm toying with.

              Dave

              > I think I posted my approach to this problem a while back.
              > After
              > grinding out the bent 1/2" pin, I replaced it with a
              > 5/8" stainless
              > bolt. I did NOT encase it in fiberglass, but used rubber
              > washers and
              > stainless washers to seal the water out. I did a quick job
              > using a
              > 3/4" galvanized pipe nipple as a bushing in the keel
              > epoxied in with
              > marinetex. Fits perfect. Just checked the bushing this
              > weekend and
              > is in new condition after 2 years, but I sail in fresh
              > water. 5/8"
              > bolt is NOT going to bend.
              >
              > I had already bought 4 Mcmaster bronze bushings for
              > replacement, but
              > don't need them. Anyone who wants 5/8" keel pin
              > bushings I have them.
              > 3 different thicknesses from 1/8-5/32-3/16
              >
              > Gary Flo

              Be a better friend, newshound, and

            • Craig Canfield
              Message 6 of 20 , May 6, 2008
                Dave,

                The shear weight of the keel will keep it down adequately. Also you definitely do not want a shock absorber attached to your keel. Should you hit some sort of obstruction with your keel, say a sunken log, rock, etc... it's better if your keel swings up to pass over it.

                Which brings to mind a question.... My rudder has a pin going through the aluminum casting, and the head of the rudder. This would prevent the rudder from swinging up if it hit anything, which could cause the rudder guedgeons to rip out of the transom. A truly ugly predictament.

                I'm aware many Mirage Owners use a line for either pulling up or down a rudder as needed, and then cleating it. If the rudder hits something solid how does the line become uncleated to prevent damage? The more fellow Mirage owners I hear from about this,the more believing
                 I'll be in such a system. Thanks.

                Craig

                Message 7 of 20 , May 7, 2008
                  Hi Craig,

                  I have a pin through my rudder and housing but I use a small wooden dowel to keep the rudder down. If I drag the dowel shears and the rudder comes up. I think Tampa Mike had some pictures of the cleat arrangement in his album.

                  It was beautiful here in Ga last weekend. We sailed for a few hours Sunday.

                  Dave Califf <davecaliff@yahoo. com> wrote:
                  Hi Gary-Flo - Dave Califf here!

                  Yeah! I could use the 3/16 bushings. I am in the midst of refitting "Uncle Puck" and dropping the keel. I also will probably go back with 5/8" stainless bolt and rubber washers. Give me an a-mail with a price and I will send details.

                  Question - Have you ever heard of anyone attaching an auto or truck shock absorber to the keel? Maybe just a few inches aft of where the cable is attached and run up through a built up extension of the cable well. Just an idea I'm toying with.

                  Dave

                  > I think I posted my approach to this problem a while back.
                  > After
                  > grinding out the bent 1/2" pin, I replaced it with a
                  > 5/8" stainless
                  > bolt. I did NOT encase it in fiberglass, but used rubber
                  > washers and
                  > stainless washers to seal the water out. I did a quick job
                  > using a
                  > 3/4" galvanized pipe nipple as a bushing in the keel
                  > epoxied in with
                  > marinetex. Fits perfect. Just checked the bushing this
                  > weekend and
                  > is in new condition after 2 years, but I sail in fresh
                  > water. 5/8"
                  > bolt is NOT going to bend.
                  >
                  > I had already bought 4 Mcmaster bronze bushings for
                  > replacement, but
                  > don't need them. Anyone who wants 5/8" keel pin
                  > bushings I have them.
                  > 3 different thicknesses from 1/8-5/32-3/16
                  >
                  > Gary Flo

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and

                • Tom Ferstle
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 7, 2008

                    Dave and all:

                    Finally, the ice is out of the lake – can’t wait to get some free breeze, by the end of may…missed a chance to crew with my buddy(former 5.5 owner) in FLA last week – couldn’t find one 5.5 anywhere on the GulfSide to sail on….baby Hobies are boring….

                    Tom

                    FreeBreeze,

                    Bellaire Mich

                    I have a pin through my rudder and housing but I use a small wooden dowel to keep the rudder down. If I drag the dowel shears and the rudder comes up. I think Tampa Mike had some pictures of the cleat arrangement in his album.

                    It was beautiful here in Ga last weekend. We sailed for a few hours Sunday.

                    Dave

                    The shear weight of the keel will keep it down adequately. Also you definitely do not want a shock absorber attached to your keel. Should you hit some sort of obstruction with your keel, say a sunken log, rock, etc... it's better if your keel swings up to pass over it.

                    Which brings to mind a question.... My rudder has a pin going through the aluminum casting, and the head of the rudder. This would prevent the rudder from swinging up if it hit anything, which could cause the rudder guedgeons to rip out of the transom. A truly ugly predictament.

                    I'm aware many Mirage Owners use a line for either pulling up or down a rudder as needed, and then cleating it. If the rudder hits something solid how does the line become uncleated to prevent damage? The more fellow Mirage owners I hear from about this,the more believing

                     I'll be in such a system. Thanks.

                    Craig

                    Dave Califf <davecaliff@yahoo. com> wrote:

                    Hi Gary-Flo - Dave Califf here!

                    Yeah! I could use the 3/16 bushings. I am in the midst of refitting "Uncle Puck" and dropping the keel. I also will probably go back with 5/8" stainless bolt and rubber washers. Give me an a-mail with a price and I will send details.

                    Question - Have you ever heard of anyone attaching an auto or truck shock absorber to the keel? Maybe just a few inches aft of where the cable is attached and run up through a built up extension of the cable well. Just an idea I'm toying with.

                    Dave

                    > I think I posted my approach to this problem a while back.
                    > After
                    > grinding out the bent 1/2" pin, I replaced it with a
                    > 5/8" stainless
                    > bolt. I did NOT encase it in fiberglass, but used rubber
                    > washers and
                    > stainless washers to seal the water out. I did a quick job
                    > using a
                    > 3/4" galvanized pipe nipple as a bushing in the keel
                    > epoxied in with
                    > marinetex. Fits perfect. Just checked the bushing this
                    > weekend and
                    > is in new condition after 2 years, but I sail in fresh
                    > water. 5/8"
                    > bolt is NOT going to bend.
                    >
                    > I had already bought 4 Mcmaster bronze bushings for
                    > replacement, but
                    > don't need them. Anyone who wants 5/8" keel pin
                    > bushings I have them.
                    > 3 different thicknesses from 1/8-5/32-3/16
                    >
                    > Gary Flo

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and

                    This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender by e-mail and delete and/or destroy attachements.

                  • Marc Lipsius
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 7, 2008
                      The draft is 5'4", see attached specs from the original brochure.
                      You probably need at least 2 1/2" below the bottom to drop the keel out if you drop it down horizontally after taking out the pin (supported by the winch cable) , otherwise, if you try and take it out hanging vertically, you may need a good 5' or more below the bottom (measure the length of your keel under the boat on the trailer and add another foot or so to be able to maneuver it out, with the help of a few STRONG friends.

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 8, 2008

                        So, I can tell my 83 yr old uncle that I learned something new today… snug up the swing keel, when not on a beam reach… and stop removing fiberglass shims that somebody, before me, put in the ‘freebreeze’ to stop the slop…

                        Now I’m really glad that the ice is off the lake today.. time to plunk her in..

                        Thanks,

                        tf

                        (taken fromm T.T.S.T. [Tom’s Terrific Sailing Tips]

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 8, 2008

                          Jack stands? Go to your nearest flea market..or shade tree car mechanic…or use your car jack and some bricks or blocks… then when you haven’t blown $ on new rigging and sailing parts, or for your birthday, have someone buy some jacks stands from an auto parts store that is “coming some soon to a place near you” (keel support and 2 blocks on the stern may be all that one needs)

                          Sorry for the dry humor,

                          tf

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 8, 2008

                            Thanks Marc

                            2-1/2 feet is about what I suspected.

                            I am hoping to get 3’ under the keel so I can get a automotive-type floor jack under the keel.  The winch cable is broken, so I want to lower it with the floor jack.

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 8, 2008

                              tf,

                              I was considering building a stand using 2X6s or using blocks like the Navy does when they dry dock a ship; but I have to get it high enough to drop the keel, and being safety orientated I’d prefer to find sail boat stands.  Something similar to the ones used by a sail boat that doesn’t have a swing keel.

                              Jack stands? Go to your nearest flea market..or shade tree car mechanic…or use your car jack and some bricks or blocks… then when you haven’t blown $ on new rigging and sailing parts, or for your birthday, have someone buy some jacks stands from an auto parts store that is “coming some soon to a place near you” (keel support and 2 blocks on the stern may be all that one needs)

                              Sorry for the dry humor,

                              tf

                              Yeah! I could use the 3/16 bushings. I am in the midst of refitting "Uncle Puck" and dropping the keel. I also will probably go back with 5/8" stainless bolt and rubber washers. Give me an a-mail with a price and I will send details.

                              Question - Have you ever heard of anyone attaching an auto or truck shock absorber to the keel? Maybe just a few inches aft of where the cable is attached and run up through a built up extension of the cable well. Just an idea I'm toying with.

                              Dave

                              > I think I posted my approach to this problem a while back.
                              > After
                              > grinding out the bent 1/2" pin, I replaced it with a
                              > 5/8" stainless
                              > bolt. I did NOT encase it in fiberglass, but used rubber
                              > washers and
                              > stainless washers to seal the water out. I did a quick job
                              > using a
                              > 3/4" galvanized pipe nipple as a bushing in the keel
                              > epoxied in with
                              > marinetex. Fits perfect. Just checked the bushing this
                              > weekend and
                              > is in new condition after 2 years, but I sail in fresh
                              > water. 5/8"
                              > bolt is NOT going to bend.
                              >
                              > I had already bought 4 Mcmaster bronze bushings for
                              > replacement, but
                              > don't need them. Anyone who wants 5/8" keel pin
                              > bushings I have them.
                              > 3 different thicknesses from 1/8-5/32-3/16
                              >
                              > Gary Flo

                              Be a better friend, newshound, and

                              size=2 width="100%" align=center>

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 9, 2008
                                Have you tried to pass another cable down from the winch through the bottom of the boat, or the cable you have left on the winch if the remaining length is long enough? That's fairly easy to do, it usually goes right through or you may need a coat hanger first, taped to the cable end and pull it through.
                                My cable disconnected from the swedged-on fitting that attaches to the keel and I had enough length to pull the cable down and wrap it around the keel and secure the loop I made with 3 stainless steel cable clamps. This is much more secure and stronger than what was there before, and cheap to repair. If you can support the keel this way, it's a lot easier hanging it than trying to balance it on a single point floor jack. You may need both the jack and the cable to adequately support it when you drop it down after removing the pin.

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 9, 2008
                                  You are all welcome to come to Atlanta and sail on Lake Lanier anytime! Our water level is down a bit but it would still be fun. I'll be glad to host a Mirage party.

                                  Aqualand Marina, where we keep our boat, has a yard that permits owners to do their own work. I think they charge about $8 per day but you also have to pay to have your boat lifted on/off the cradle. That is about $200 as I recall.

                                  I was considering building a stand using 2X6s or using blocks like the Navy does when they dry dock a ship; but I have to get it high enough to drop the keel, and being safety orientated I’d prefer to find sail boat stands.  Something similar to the ones used by a sail boat that doesn’t have a swing keel.

                                  Jack stands? Go to your nearest flea market..or shade tree car mechanic…or use your car jack and some bricks or blocks… then when you haven’t blown $ on new rigging and sailing parts, or for your birthday, have someone buy some jacks stands from an auto parts store that is “coming some soon to a place near you” (keel support and 2 blocks on the stern may be all that one needs)

                                  Sorry for the dry humor,

                                  tf

                                  Yeah! I could use the 3/16 bushings. I am in the midst of refitting "Uncle Puck" and dropping the keel. I also will probably go back with 5/8" stainless bolt and rubber washers. Give me an a-mail with a price and I will send details.

                                  Question - Have you ever heard of anyone attaching an auto or truck shock absorber to the keel? Maybe just a few inches aft of where the cable is attached and run up through a built up extension of the cable well. Just an idea I'm toying with.

                                  Dave

                                  > I think I posted my approach to this problem a while back.
                                  > After
                                  > grinding out the bent 1/2" pin, I replaced it with a
                                  > 5/8" stainless
                                  > bolt. I did NOT encase it in fiberglass, but used rubber
                                  > washers and
                                  > stainless washers to seal the water out. I did a quick job
                                  > using a
                                  > 3/4" galvanized pipe nipple as a bushing in the keel
                                  > epoxied in with
                                  > marinetex. Fits perfect. Just checked the bushing this
                                  > weekend and
                                  > is in new condition after 2 years, but I sail in fresh
                                  > water. 5/8"
                                  > bolt is NOT going to bend.
                                  >
                                  > I had already bought 4 Mcmaster bronze bushings for
                                  > replacement, but
                                  > don't need them. Anyone who wants 5/8" keel pin
                                  > bushings I have them.
                                  > 3 different thicknesses from 1/8-5/32-3/16
                                  >
                                  > Gary Flo

                                  Be a better friend, newshound, and

                                  size=2 width="100%" align=center>

                                  This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender by e-mail and delete and/or destroy attachements.

                                • Christopher Dees
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 9, 2008
                                    Broken keel pin?!?!?!?
                                    Are you guys trying to tell me something? I've had my Mirage 14
                                    years and have never had a problem with the pin. I've replaced the
                                    cable three times - those cable clamps don't seem to survive in salt
                                    water.
                                    Has anyone sand blasted and recovered the iron keel with anything to
                                    fair it smooth? What did you use? Mine is starting to look pitted
                                    and rough.
                                    I'm thinking about doing this next year and replacing the pin, now
                                    that you've got my concern up.

                                    Thanks
                                    CD
                                    "Trilogy" #250
                                    Houston, TX

                                    --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, Marc Lipsius <mlipmd@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Have you tried to pass another cable down from the winch through
                                    the bottom of the boat, or the cable you have left on the winch if
                                    the remaining length is long enough? That's fairly easy to do, it
                                    usually goes right through or you may need a coat hanger first,
                                    taped to the cable end and pull it through.
                                    > My cable disconnected from the swedged-on fitting that attaches to
                                    the keel and I had enough length to pull the cable down and wrap it
                                    around the keel and secure the loop I made with 3 stainless steel
                                    cable clamps. This is much more secure and stronger than what was
                                    there before, and cheap to repair. If you can support the keel this
                                    way, it's a lot easier hanging it than trying to balance it on a
                                    single point floor jack. You may need both the jack and the cable to
                                    adequately support it when you drop it down after removing the pin.

                                    yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of Marc Lipsius
                                    > Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 6:10
                                    > PM
                                    > To: mirageownersclub@ yahoogroups. com
                                    > Subject: Re: [Mirage Owners Club]
                                    > Re: broken keel pin
                                    >
                                    > The draft is 5'4",
                                    > see attached specs from the original brochure.
                                    > You probably need at least 2 1/2" below the bottom to drop the
                                    keel out if
                                    > you drop it down horizontally after taking out the pin (supported
                                    by the winch
                                    > cable) , otherwise, if you try and take it out hanging vertically,
                                    you may need
                                    > a good 5' or more below the bottom (measure the length of your
                                    keel under the
                                    > boat on the trailer and add another foot or so to be able to
                                    maneuver it out,
                                    > with the help of a few STRONG friends.

                                    yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ

                                    > ________________________________

                                    Try

                                    _______________

                                  • ghol@bellsouth.net
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 9, 2008
                                      Go to MAS Epoxy website and read up on their epoxies. I have successfully covered cast iron keels with their Flag resin as a water proof protective coating.  It is good stuff.  You will need to clean off loose scale and rust before coating, but it bonds quite nicely. And with an epoxy coating as base, you can come back and fair out the surface the same day with Flag epoxy and microballoons as a putty.  GaryH Mirage 236
                                      -------------- Original message from "Christopher Dees" <cddees@...>: --------------

                                      wrote:

                                      > Have you tried to pass another cable down from the winch through
                                      the bottom of the boat, or the cable you have left on the winch if
                                      the remaining length is long enough? That's fairly easy to do, it
                                      usually goes right through or you may need a coat hanger first,
                                      taped to the cable end and pull it through.
                                      > My cable disconnected from the swedged-on fitting that attaches to
                                      the keel and I had enough length to pull the cable down and wrap it
                                      around the keel and secure the loop I made with 3 stainless steel
                                      cable clamps. This is much more secure and stronger than what was
                                      there before, and cheap to repair. If you can support the keel this
                                      way, it's a lot easier hanging it than trying to balance it on a
                                      single point floor jack. You may need both the jack and the cable to
                                      adequately support it when you drop it down after removing the pin.

                                      Try

                                      ____________ ___
                                      > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                                    • gary_flo
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 11, 2008
                                        Dear CD,
                                        If it ain't broke, don't fix it perhaps? When I got the boat the keel
                                        was so loose it banged side to side and sounded like it was going to
                                        rip the bottom of the boat out and go to the bottom. Replacing the
                                        pin is not an easy job because it is buried inside the fiberglass keel
                                        trunk housing. You have to grind it out, support the keel, knock out
                                        the pin, drop the keel, inspect the bushing and replace if needed.
                                        Then redrill the keel trunk for 5/8" bolt, smooth both surfaces so
                                        rubber washers will lay flat and seal, then jack the keel back up,
                                        line up the holes and put the bolt in.

                                        The bushing in my keel was completely gone and there was a 1" hole
                                        where the 1/2" bushing used to be. I put in a 3/4" galvanized pipe
                                        nipple as a bushing using marinetex. The ID fits a 5/8" bolt perfect.
                                        (I inspected it last week and it is still good, but I doubt it would
                                        last in salt water, I sail on a lake.) I was in a hurry and didn't
                                        know where to find bronze bushings at the time. Now I have a whole
                                        set from McMaster-Carr if anyone needs one.

                                        Next I glued carpet to the top part of the keel using 5200 following
                                        someone's advice on this list, I forget who it was (Muette?). It
                                        doesn't budge side to side, yet slides up and down easily. It came
                                        loose last summer, so I had to drop the keel and reglue it last week.

                                        Having access to the keel bolt makes it easy to do service. Having it
                                        sealed in fiberglass means you can never drop it to inspect anything.
                                        That is a major advantage of replacing the keel pin. Not to mention
                                        that 5/8" is stronger than 1/2".

                                        Gary Flo
                                        Entre Nous

                                        --- In mirageownersclub@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Dees"