Snapped Tiller

  • drjill01
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13, 2008
      My boat has been on a mooring for a few years now. It seems a boat
      broke loose catching my rudder and snapping my tiller. Any ideas
      where to get a good replacement?

      Gary_flo I read you got a new one last year. Do you remember which
      one you got?

      Thanks for the help,

      Jill
    • Dave Carmichael
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14, 2008
        Hi Jill,

        Nice to hear from you again. I replaced mine with one made for a Catalina 22.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2008
          Jill,

          I wouldn't skimp on a tiller, especially if you sail anywhere there
          may be rough weather.

          For all my years of being on ships in the Navy, for all the cabinets
          and furniture I've built, for all the places I've sailed, I still buy
          commercial tillers. (I could make my own, but it takes too long.)

          Tillers are generally made of laminates, which is layers of wood
          glued together. The laminate is far stronger than regular wood, and
          the fact that it is laminated together allows the manufacturer to
          form the handle into a more comfortable shape.

          One of the worst imaginable scenarios would to be in bad weather
          without a means to steer your boat.

          Good luck,

          Mark
          Rhumb and Coke
          Ocean Springs, MS
        • drjill01
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 17, 2008
            Thanks for everyones thoughts on the tiller. It has given me several
            options.

            Jill
          • gary_flo
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 22, 2008
              Hi Jill,
              I just happened to read the digest today. I got a new tiller AND
              rudder from idasailors:
              http://www.idasailor.com/catalog/default.php

              Good luck,
              Gary