new to group Hi !

  • workman022004
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      hi to all.just signed up to your group . i am look for a trailer sailer
      in the 20'+ range and i have run across a 1978 20' mirage.i have not
      found much info on the internet and would like to know more . if any
      one can help it would be greatly appreciated . i am hoping to go see
      next week.
      mike sask. canada.
    • chris carpenter
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi Mike
        If you are looking for info on the mirage 5.5 you've come to the right place. Well, the only place that I know of. It's a great boat and you will have a lot of fun with her. Be sure to check out the keel. It seem to be the biggest weak spot. Use that info to talk the price down. Just go under and wiggle it around. Everybody's had trouble with it, but the repair job does not look hard to do. Do a search in our group under keel and you'll see. Also look at the photos file.

        Chris

        workman022004 <workman022004@...> wrote:
        hi to all.just signed up to your group . i am look for a trailer sailer
        in the 20'+ range and i have run across a 1978 20' mirage.i have not
        found much info on the internet and would like to know more . if any
        one can help it would be greatly appreciated . i am hoping to go see
        next week.
                                        mike sask. canada.

      • Craig Canfield
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
          Hello Mike,
                 I learned to sail on Sunfish, Ideal 18, 20' Sonar, and catamarrans, and the Mirage 5.5 is one of the best of the best sailboats you'll find in the 18' - 23' range. The price may run about $2700 TO $5000 depending on it's condition and "features". I searched a hugh area before buying my Mirage ( about 200 miles East to West, and from Lake Ontario South 50 miles ). If I was to do it again the only possible runner ups or alternatives might be the Chrysler 22', Catalina 22', Sovereign 18', or San Juan 23'.
                 For about $400-$500 I had a boat shop remove the keel, sand blast the keel which is a solid steel casting 5' in length, drill out the hole for a 5/8" or 3/4" stainless steel pin, fair out the keel with tigerhair for a nice symmetrical wing shape, seal, prime and paint with VC-17, and attach a new S.S. cable for raising and lowering.
          *Note; You will find there is quite a bit of room on either side of the keel inside the trunk which can create serious strain on the pin and hull. I made up "shims / washers" of schedule 80 PVC sheet material (gray) as large a diameter as possible (10" diam. ?). I think the boat shop needed 1 or 2 on each side 1/4" in thickness to finish up the job.
                 Maybe one last comment. I learned to sail on a sunfish really well in light and heavy air, but when considering buying a boat I wasn't to sure what to do with that thing in front of the mast (the Jib). Having found a local marina certified by the US Sailing assoc.and taking the begineer, intermediate, and advance classes was just the ticket. I'm alot more comfortable, competent, and even competitive as a sailor. In addition I have a more discerning eye when it came to buying my 2 boats and necessary repair issues.  ( Mirage 5.5 & Supercat 17 )

          Sincerely, Craig Canfield      Rochester, NY area

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
            hello and thanx. thank you for your help/advice . the boat sold befor
            i could see her . my quest continues ,if any one knows of a boat in the
            saskatchewan area for sale let me know . i will have to add the mirage
            to my list . mike