Re: [Mirage Owners Club] mainsail reefing

  • Tommy
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2005
      I'll tell you what, I live and sail in the newport R.I. area and never had to reef I just drop the jib and I still can make hull speed . Last week my granddaughter and I were sailing in 20 knots of wind with just the main. I have to mention she is eight years old and doing the sailing . We were sailing flat and fast pasing most boats towing a dinghy to boot
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
        Dropping the jib works fine instead of reefing, but I have done both
        when caught in blasts of +30, if only for my own comfort. Also, I
        think that the boat can point higher if you reef the main and keep
        the jib (or a smaller jib, or a partially furled jib) then under main
        alone--that probably isn't a consideration most of the time, but it
        could come in handy if you're beating off a lee shore. I do agree,
        though, that the boat sails well under main alone, and is pretty
        stiff compared to similar boats.

        Devin