new 5.5 owner

  • gary_flo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 6:57 PM
      Greetings,
      Been lurking for several months, and took the plunge.
      We have just purchased a 1980 Mirage 5.5 in NJ and towed it to Vermont
      where we live near Lake Champlain. I posted photos in the album named
      GFLO.

      The main repair I am looking at is the rusty swing keel. I've been
      looking through the archives and find some information about rust
      removal, and paint recommendations. If you can point me to a message
      number or summary of keel repair I would appreciate it.

      What I pick up so far is to chip the rust off with chisel, and have it
      sand blasted. Filling and fairing the rust holes I am not sure what
      to use. Should I weld metal back into the gouges and grind smooth, or
      fill it with epoxy filler?

      I read that I should then coat it West System epoxy of some kind.
      Which one?
      Paint recommendations?

      Also saw some indoor/outdoor carpet bonded to the upper part to keep
      from having play. That looks like a good idea.

      All suggestions appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Gary Flo
      Burlington, VT