Question about a marriage

  • Pat DePrez
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26 9:04 AM
      Hi everyone, I have not been doing any research for awile, but I am back. The question I have is does anyone know how I can find a name of whom my great Aunt Teresa Bolda married. I found a picture of her and her husband and on back it has Teresa and husband. All I know is that she was born Nov. 1, 1895 in Detroit and was told she might of died young from a heart problem.

      Thanks for any and all help.
      Pat
    • LMK
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26 2:07 PM
        Oh, it's so tantalizing to be so near yet so far from an answer, isn't it?
        My family didn't keep much in the way of paper records either.
        Frustrating!

        I don't know if these will work, but here are a few ideas:

        - Check the U.S. Census of 1900 to see if you can find any record of your
        aunt in or near Detroit. Children are (should be) recorded on the Census.
        Do you have any idea what her parents' names were?

        - If you have any relatives at all in that branch of the family (e.g., 3rd
        cousins), try to contact them to see if they know anything.

        - Is the picture a formal portrait (such as wedding picture)? You might be
        able to find a location for the photography studio - they often had their
        business name engraved at the edge of the photo. Then that location could
        be a place to search local churches for a marriage record.

        - If your aunt was born in 1895, she likely was married between age 15 and
        25. So hunt her (likely) home church for marriage records from 1910 to at
        least 1920. Many Detroit area parishes are defunct; their records should
        be at the Detroit Diocese Chancery Office. I don't know what you have to
        do to search those.

        Good luck!
        Lili