Questions about citizenship - Question Answered

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2006

      I received this from Michigan Archives and I thought I would pass it a long to let others know what information is on naturalization forms pre 1906.

      Archives <Archives@...> wrote:
      The federal government standardized the naturalization forms in 1906. Before that year courts could buy any form they chose. The forms used by most courts in the State of Michigan had very little biographical information. There will occasionally be information on date or place of birth or port of arrival but not often. Parents names have never appeared on any naturalization form at any time (other than adopted children).

      _____________________
      Reference Staff
      State Archives of Michigan
      Phone: (517) 373-1414
      Fax: (517) 241-1658
      archives@...
      www.michiganhistory.org/archive

      >>> Pat 3/9/2006 10:13 AM >>>
      I am hoping you can answer some questions about citizenship that took place in 1896. My great grandfather Joseph Jacob Bolda became a US citizen in Wayne County in 1896. What kind of information is on either the intent or the actual citizenship papers? Do they give any parents names or the place they were born?

      Thank you
      Pat DePrez

      Yahoo! Mail