The Society of Czech Bookbinders to MBS members

  • Jarmila Sobotov√°
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      Members of the Society of Czech Bookbinders have followed with horror
      the TV news about the devastations caused by Hurricane Katrina. We feel
      so sorry for all the people whose lives have changed so unexpectedly by
      this natural disaster.

      It was only a few years ago when the Czech Republic was stricken by
      flood. People whose houses were damaged are still recovering from that
      terrible event. It was disaster of a smaller range than Hurricane
      Katrina, but we can understand how people feel in such situation.

      American bookbinders helped our people, especially those whose damages
      were the worst, and we are very thankful for that.

      In our experience, what helped most were two things: First: concern of
      other people (including real help with saving lives, but also cleaning,
      supplying with dehumidifiers, etc.) Second, but with the same
      importance: money.

      The Board of the Society of Czech Bookbinders has spent a long time
      discussing the question of how Czech bookbinders could help American
      bookbinders who need help most of all. Unfortunately, we are not able to
      bring any help covering those two most important categories. We are too
      far away to come and help personally. Money is out of the question,
      because the Czech Corona is so low that even the largest amount which we
      would be able to collect would be close to nothing in U.S. dollars.

      We want to help somehow, but our help would have to be moral support
      most of all. We want to send our sympathy in form of something beyond
      what is basic.

      We are able to supply some art. We would like to send nice graphics and
      paintings to bookbinders who are putting their homes back to normal.
      Then they will be able to put some nice art on their walls. We would
      choose only art done by good Czech artists. We could even frame it and
      send without glass. If there are bookbinders who would be willing to
      accept this offer, let us, please, know their names.

      We are aware that this form of help is not actual help, but it is meant
      from the bottom of our hearts - meant to cheer up those people whose
      homes are in ruin now.

      Thank you for reading this and please, let us know addresses of
      bookbinders, or other members of Guild of Book Workers or the Miniature
      Book Society, whose houses would use Czech art, after they are in good
      condition again.

      Jarmila Sobota for the Society of Czech Bookbinders.

      --
      Jan&Jarmila Sobota
      Sklenarska 5

      Phone: 352 685 130