more info even

  • Richard Steiner
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      Dear Garcia; I am surprised to learn that collecting miniature
      books is popular in Spain. That is good news, indeed. Yes, I
      know the Japanese printing company, Toppan, because they are
      about the biggest in the country. But, as I wrote a few days ago,
      we here in Kyoto do only handmade books, no machine work at
      all. We (I mean me and my students) are only woodblock
      printmakers. I cannot give you any more information at this time
      about other miniature book makers in Japan. But if you wait, I will
      get that info and share it with everyone in the group. No, I do not
      yet have a catalog of my books. You can see my prints on my
      homepage, however.
      Now, I must say Thank You to the President of the Miniature
      Book Society, Mr Neale Albert, for welcoming me into
      membership. I look forward to giving and receiving info on the
      wonderful world of miniature books. You mentioned that perhaps
      our two societies could do some exhibition exchanges. Yes, we
      can and we will, but not soon. I am still building up membership
      here and gathering more students. It will take a while, but it will
      happen. I am in my last year as a teacher at the university. So, I
      am planning to open up a small shop next year in Kyoto which
      specializes in miniature books, amoung other items. As for the
      competition, I will encourage my students to submit their books,
      and I also will join. I just missed this year's.
      I would certainly be interested in swapping books with you,
      Neale. You know my address from my membership application
      form. When I get your books, I will use the return address on the
      package to mail you mine. I will add some explaination, too.
      The miniature book workshop I will run will begin from
      September and go to the end of November with October off. I
      don't know how many people will sign up, but I hope many, of
      course.
      There is in Japan only one museum which specializes in
      miniature books, as far as I know. It is located outside Nagoya
      City, (where EXPO 05 is being help right now). It is a private
      museum, and the owner whom I met has passed on. The place
      is being run by his daughter, also as far as I know now. They
      have some of my books.
      more later.
      Richard