Conclave

  • Mel Kavin
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 29, 1999
      Hi Everyone

      Since I was going to Germany for the Conclave I decided to visit several
      cities including Prague in the Czech
      Republic. I was going to the Czech Republic primarily to visit my
      friends Jan Sobota and Jarmila Sobotova
      in Loket. Loket is a small town about two hours from Prague, it is
      listed as one of 40 Heritage Reserve
      Towns. They live in a house that was built in the 13th century, where
      they also have their bindery and a
      bookbinding school. In 1984 they moved to Cleveland from Switzerland
      and in 1990 Jan became director
      of the Conservation Laboratory at Bridwell Library of Southern
      Methodist University in Dallas. They
      remained there until they moved back to the Czech Republic in 1996.

      I wrote and told them I was going to the Conclave and would like to
      visit them. They were very interested
      in the Conclave and I sent them information and an application blank.
      They joined the Society and reserved
      a vendor's table. They were working on an edition of miniature books for
      the Millennial: they changed their
      schedule and will have them ready for the Conclave. This will be an
      edition of 100 books to be sold at
      $200.00 each. If you have never seen any of the bindings by either of
      them, you have a treat in store for
      you.

      I received an E-mail message from Jarmila this morning and I was going
      to just tell you what it said but I
      decided to send it just the way I received it so you can feel the
      excitement the message exudes.

      Dear Mel,

      I am Busy and have no time, yet, I have to show off. It is so exciting!
      I won 1st Prize!!!
      In France, V.International Biennial. About 500 binders from all over the
      world have bound the same book:
      Cyrano de Bergerac.
      I won 1st prize in category Book-object. It comes also with 1,000.-Euro
      money. Jan and I were planning to
      go to France for the exhibition in September. Now we will have money to
      travel. I still can't believe it.
      It is so great! I have never expected this.
      I can't concentrate on anything. I have to calm down now,
      Talk to you later.
      Jarmila

      To all of you who haven't registered for the Conclave, just meeting this
      charming and talented couple is
      well worth the trip
    • NMA815@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 22 3:42 AM
        The conclave is over and were back home. Ill write a longer report soon to
        tell everyone on the list about the conclave. But i wanted right away
        publicly to thank Ralf for all of his hard work. He hosted a GREAT conclave
        and we are all very grateful to him.

        neale
      • Stephen Byrne
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 22 9:24 PM
          Yet another endorsement of the thanks to Ralf.
          This was my first Conclave, as I am a newcomer to MBS, and was unsure about what to expect.
          What I experienced surpassed all that I had imagined, and I met some great people who offered me lots of support.
          What a friendly group of people!
          The idea of a European Chapter of the MBS is an excellent one, which I do hope comes to fruition. Thanks to Ian for that suggestion.
          I'm already looking forward to next year's Conclave in Vermont.
          Thanks once again to everybody concerned in organising the Conclave.
          Regards to all fellow MBS members.
          Stephen Byrne.
        • Ralf Quast
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 24 5:29 AM
            Hi everyone,

            thank you for being so kind to me and my work!!!

            Ralf
          • Angelika Jaeck
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 26, 2000
              Hi everybody,

              I enjoyed the last Conclave in Koblenz so much that I have to
              come to Rutland! I am looking forward to meeting those members I
              met in Koblenz. I read that some of them are coming and it much
              nicer if you already know some people at such a big event. But
              am also looking foward to meeting a lot of new people!
              Jon is so helpful with my preparations and questions!

              If anybody wants a certain german book, let me know and I bring
              it with me (if I can find it!).

              Greeting from Germany,

              Angelika Jaeck
            • Angelika Jaeck
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 10, 2000
                Hi,
                just got home today, without luggage again.

                I had a wonderful time at the Conclave, spent a lot of money but
                got some nice miniature treasures in return. The workshops were
                very interesting und inspiring. And I hope the swap meet will
                become a regular part of the Conclave (with a few more people
                participating).

                I feel that only talked with about half the people that were
                there. Well, I will try to meet the others next time!

                My thanks to Jon and his helpers for the wonderful job they did.

                Greetings from Germany,

                Angelika Jaeck
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 13 6:02 AM
                  Its almost time for us to meet in Indianapolis.

                  I wonder how many members of this group are going?

                  Mike and Jean Garbett are coming to stay with us in NYC for a few days before we
                  get to the Conclave.

                  Thank You.
                • ThomasPETERX@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 19 8:38 PM
                    Yes! I am coming to the Conclave in Indiana. I look forward to seeing many of
                    you there.
                    Donna Thomas
                  • Jan Kellett
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 7, 2001
                      Yes, the Lilly Library has my vote in the Library of the Year contest, what a wonderful collection, and beautifully displayed. Thanks guys!
                      Jan Kellett

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 13, 2002
                        Maria G. Pisano will be attending the Conclave this year for the first time.
                        She would like to share a room and expenses with another attendee. If anyone
                        is interested, please contact her at MGPSTUDIO @ aol.com.

                        Thank You.
                      • minibookman
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 21, 2002
                          Hello everybody,
                          I'd just like to echo the congratulations to the Conclave organising
                          Committee. Well done.
                          It was great to meet so many friends again, to chat and to see so
                          many wonderful books (and to sell so many!!)
                          It was also good to meet our new members, all of whom are very
                          enthusiastic. I know we all did our bit to welcome them. Lets hope we
                          keep up that encouragement and have even more new members next year.

                          Once again, thanks to Gabrielle, Mark and Miriam, and to all those
                          who worked so hard to make our Conclave so enjoyable.

                          Best wishes to all my friends in MBS, Stephen Byrne
                        • Paul Devenyi
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 7, 2003
                            One month to go to Conclave XXI. What three months ago looked like the possibly first cancelled conclave in MBS 20 years history, is turning out to have respectable attendance numbers. It won't be the biggest conclave ever, nor the smallest. I hope it will be remembered as one of the best. Some old regulars abandoned us, but many of them remained faithful and are back. I am also delighted to welcome several members to their first Conclave.

                            The MBS Newsletter gave a nice detailed program and I hope you found it useful. Here I want to give a few updates for those of you who registered and have access to this E mail group.

                            Metered taxifares just went up 25% in Toronto! For one
                            or two people it may be better to take the shuttle
                            bus which brings you to the Royal York. If you take an
                            airport limousine (they have a separate line from the
                            taxis), you can ask about their flat rate to the Royal
                            York.

                            Please remember that the Royal York deadline for the
                            special meeting rates is september 9. There are several
                            hotels with lower rates close to the Royal York. Some
                            of you already found them. If you need advise, E mail
                            me.

                            Unfortunately for Americans, the value of the US dollar
                            fell substantially against the Canadian $ in the last few
                            months. A US dollar bought 1.50 Can$ in the spring.
                            As of today, you will get $ 1.30-1.35 for it. You can
                            imagine that this caused a lot of budgeting headaches
                            for me, because I have to convert your $US dollar
                            registration fees to Canadian dollars. Still, I hope to
                            come out of this breaking even at least. As for your
                            individual purchasing power, you will still find Canadian
                            prices reasonable.

                            Margaret Challenger's wokshop turned out to be very
                            popular. The way she runs her workshop with a lots
                            of hands-on experience, she didn't want mor than 20
                            people in a group.At 25, we have closed the
                            registration. She then agreed to hold a second work-
                            shop from 2.30 to 3.30 Saturday. Those who were put
                            on "stand-by", are now in the second workshop. I am
                            asking those in the first workshop (ie. whose
                            registration was originally accepted), if any of you
                            would prefer the second time-slot, please let me know.
                            This may allow more even distribution. We don't want
                            to do the division unilaterally, because some of you
                            may have planned your free afternoon based on the
                            original schedule.

                            Speaking of the free Saturday afternoon, there are
                            lots of possibilities in the hotel's vicinity. In one of the
                            Newsletters I told you about theatre matinees. There
                            is also the CN tower and if the weather is good, the
                            harborfront a few minutes away. For art-lovers,there
                            is the Art Gallery of Ontario with a decent permanent
                            collection, but better still, on october 11-th opens a
                            special exhibit on the sculptures of Degas (better
                            known as painter, but supposedly equally good
                            sculptor.) The gallery is about 20 minutes walk or 3
                            subway stops away on the University Line. A couple
                            more stops takes you to the Royal Ontario Museum
                            which has great permanent material, plus a special
                            exhibit on Art Deco. Across from the ROM is a gem of
                            a little museum, the Gardiner Ceramics Museum; at
                            that time they will have a special show on old French
                            ceramics. All museums are closed on Mondays, as in
                            most part of the world.

                            There are many shopping possibilities near the hotel.
                            Keep in mind that Monday is Thanksgiving day in
                            Canada and most stores will be closed, except in
                            designated tourist areas, such as the Eaton Centre
                            and the stores of Niagara on the Lake for those who
                            take the tour. So, don't leave your shopping plans
                            for Monday.

                            By the way, there is one (yes, ONE!) seat left on the
                            bus to Niagara. I'll give it to the first person who asks
                            for it and follows it up with a payment of $ 44.00 USD.

                            Finally, a small venue and time change - if you keep
                            track of such details. The Sunday breakfast will be in
                            the Imperial Room (not in the Tudor) and it will start
                            at 7.30 (not 8) for the benefit of those exhibitors who
                            need more time for setup. The exhibit space is
                            adjoining. There is an hour lunch break in the Book
                            Fair and you can eat elegantly in the hotel or from
                            hot dog vendors across the street or anything
                            between.

                            This is my last "bulletin" before the Conclave. But I
                            am happy to answer individual questions.

                            See you in Toronto!

                            Paul Devenyi

                          • minibookman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 16, 2003
                              Unlike most of you I haven't got home from Conclave yet - I'm
                              visiting friends in Alberta - but I just have to say how much I
                              thoroughly enjoyed the Conclave, so well organised, so nice to meet
                              old friends and make new ones.
                              The fact that I sold a few books was far less important to me than
                              the friendship I encountered.
                              Thanks to every one who put so much into making the Conclave such a
                              success.
                              Stephen Byrne
                            • motherg2001
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
                                Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                                be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                                about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                                printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                                from
                                others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.
                              • Kimberly Byerly
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
                                  We would love to hear more about your broadside project...

                                  Kind regards,
                                  Kim & Scott Byerly
                                  Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                                  be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                                  about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                                  printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                                  from
                                  others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • AJ
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
                                    Dear miniature book friends!

                                    I hope all Conclave attendees got home save and sound. It was a
                                    pleaseure seeing you all again.
                                    The Conclave was tremendous, many thanks to Karen Nyman for her
                                    fantastic job on organizing the event.

                                    I promised serveral people to send them links, info etc. If you
                                    have't heard from me yet, please remind me. My memory isn't as good
                                    as it used to be!

                                    For those I told about the wonderful TED talk I watched on my flight
                                    from Amsterdam to Detroit, here is the link.

                                    Graphic designer Chip Kidd talks about the art of designing book covers.
                                    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

                                    Best wishes from Germany,
                                    Angelika