auction books-again

  • jtimm@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2005
      (Jill--please post this to the miniature books listserve. Thanks!)

      I received a letter yesterday from Bristol England with some photos. Text
      follows:
      ___________________________

      29 Springfield Road
      Portishead
      Bristol BS20 6LH
      England

      Dear Mr. Palkovic,
      Having entered a set of miniature books (as enclosed photos) into a local
      auction, I have since learnt that there is in existence a Miniature Book
      Society and I am, therefore, writing to you should any of your Society
      members be interested in this particular set.

      The auction is scheduled to be held on 10 March next at The Clevedon Auction
      Centre, Kenn Road, Clevedon, Bristol BS21 6TT (www.clevedon-salerooms.com).

      There are ten 2-1/2 inch high hardback books, with spines of what I believe
      to be ivory-coloured vellum laced with filigree decroation, circa 1900, all
      contained in a custom-made wooden bookcase. Drawn from, memory, the set
      contains the following titles:

      My Morning Counsellor
      My Evening Counsellor
      The Compleat Angler (1)
      The Compleat Angler (2)
      Hymns A & M
      Common Prayer
      Thumb Notebook
      Ready Reckoner
      plus two more, whose titles escape me.

      I have to apologise for not using the Internet or Fax--my only excuse (I
      know it shouldn't be) is one of age. At 74 life is bewildering enough
      without 'passwords', 'mouses' etc. etc.
      Yours faithfully
      Gillian Taylor (Mrs.)

      _____________________________________

      If you or any of your colleagues are interested in bidding on this set of
      books, I suggest they contact Clevedon for a full description and bidding
      instructions. Judging from the photos, the books seem to be in very good
      condition and very clean and well-cared-for.

      Best wishes,
      Mark

      Mark Palkovic
      Head Librarian