Announcements versus ads.

  • pdevenyi@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2005
      Ms. Olswanger's comments are well taken. I have to add that our present MBS president seems to agree with her to some extent. Nonetheless, it was the Board that dcided a few years ago to make distinction between New Book announcements ( free) and ads (paid.) If you look back at Newsletters between 2000 and 2002 during Dean Gattone's editorship, this principle is exactly that was followed: new books were announced without address and price, whereas advertisements had all the details. It is difficult to justify to those who pay for ads, why others can get out the same information free.

      Having said that, I don't totally disagree with Ms. Olswanger. As editor, I have absolutely no interest to generate advertising revenue, I am not a businessman. My job is to try to get out a publication that informs, creates discussions and interactions between members etc. Mr. Albert indicated that the Board will re-examine this issue. If, in its wisdom, the Board decides to eliminate paid advertisements alltogether, I will be more than pleased to announce every new miniature book in all their details in the New Book section.

      Paul Devenyi