New Orleans Conclave

  • Tamela Camp
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
      Hi MBS Friends!

      This is Tammy, your MBS 2005 New Orleans Conclave host(hostess?)--

      I will be getting the registration information to Paul(newsletter),
      Jill(web site), Neale(e-mail group) before the end of the month to meet
      the newsletter deadline. I am sorry that I did not have it ready for the
      January newsletter. There are just a couple of details to finalize so
      that I can have the correct fees to include before I can send it out.
      These need to be certain to guarantee the success of the meeting. My
      contacts know this fact and are working to clear the details up on time.
      With the earlier date for this year's meeting, time constraints have been
      a factor, I know.

      Until then, I wanted to get some information out to you so that you would
      not be worried about the status of the upcoming conclave. It is scheduled
      for July 22nd through July 25th, 2005 in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. I
      am proud to be hosting the first American conclave in 3 years. Thanks for
      the Devenyis and Garbetts(and their committee members) for two lovely
      meetings in Toronto and Bath in 2003 and 2004, respectively. I am also
      excited to be the host exactly 10 years after I attended my first
      conclave in 1995 in Pasadena, CA hosted by the Selmers(we miss you
      guys!) I am working hard to make sure that this year's event is as
      memorable as all the meetings that I have attended in the past ten years.
      Please bear with me; I do have help( and offers of more help) for the
      meeting, but I do live in an area where there are no other MBS members of
      record, so that makes planning more difficult. But enough of that...

      Please make your plans to attend this year's conclave, whether it will be
      your first or 21st! It will be a wonderful time for all miniature book
      lovers. And New Orleans is a fantastic city to visit! I know that it is
      hot and humid in N.O. during the summer; I live 2 hours away. We DO have
      air conditioning and the vast majority of our time will be indoors and
      places were we will be comfortable. Don't let the weather hinder you from
      enjoying a great time with friends in one of the most historic and oldest
      cities in the South. Because the summer is the slow time in New Orleans,
      there will be far less crowds to deal with than at other times of the
      year. Furthermore, prices are lower at this time of the year, so your
      money will go further. That means more money to spend on books! Because I
      am a teacher and we return to school the first week of August here, I
      chose the summer to hold our conclave. I know that vacations and family
      times take up much of our summer, but I really hope that all of you will
      carve out some time for your book friends this summer. New Orleans is
      easy to get to as well; it has an international airport in Metairie, a
      suburb of New Orleans with a variety of shuttles and public
      transportation opportunities to get you to our hotel, the Royal St.
      Charles.

      The Royal St. Charles Hotel is located at 135 St. Charles Avenue, New
      Orleans, LA. The phone number to make reservations is 1.800.268.9749/
      1.504.587.3700.You must make the reservation by telephone to get this
      rate; they are not able to process it on the internet. For our overseas
      members, if this is a problem, please e-mail me and I will put you in
      e-mail contact with the Director of Sales. She said that she would try to
      assist you. Please let them know that you are with the MBS group. The
      special rate is $89.00 US per night, a $20.00 per night savings. If you
      plan to arrive early or stay after the meeting, please make your
      reservations as soon as possible. I was told that we could get the same
      rate for days before or after the conclave based upon room availability.
      Make sure that you remind them of this fact if you plan to do this.I
      encourage everyone to make reservations as soon as possible to get the
      rooms blocked for us. I hope that you will all choose to stay at our
      chosen facility.If the price is more than you would like to pay on your
      own, do like many of us and find an MBS roommate!

      I am still finalizing the details for our Monday optional trip. However,
      it looks like it will be something along the lines of a combination bus
      city tour(air conditioned, of course!) and a riverboat cruise (inside air
      conditioned!) to the Chalmette battlefield where the Battle of New
      Orleans took place in 1812. A tour of the battlefield and lunch on the
      riverboat will be included. It will be a good chance to see more of the
      city in a comfortable environment. I hope that many of you choose to stay
      and cruise the mighty Mississippi River with us!

      There are many noteworthy attractions in New Orleans. Our hotel is one
      block off the famous Canal Street, which borders the internationally know
      French Quarter. The distinctive architecture of the French and Spanish
      periods of the city's history is reason enough to visit. There are many
      antique shops, book stores, and curiosity shops throughout the French
      Quarter and the bordering districts. Magazine Street also has many
      antique shops and variety of unique, interesting and eclectic stores to
      peruse. The Garden District is just a street car ride away, and our
      hotel, the Royal St. Charles, sits right on the path of one of the two
      routes that are still in existence. You can exit our hotel and wait right
      outside for the St. Charles streetcar to come by and pick you up. There
      are a number of museums like the National D-Day Museum and the New
      Orleans Museum of Art. Or perhaps your taste runs to the unusual; there
      is a Voodoo Museum too! The Aquarium of the Americas and an IMAX theater
      are at the end of Canal Street along the Mississippi River. There are
      several nice enclosed(air conditioned) shopping facilities nearby too.
      For those of you willing to spend time outdoors, there are buggy rides
      which can be caught in front of Jackson Square and the St. Louis
      Cathedral, where you can also get your palm read or a portrait done in
      less than 20 minutes. The world famous Cafe du Monde' sits across the
      street serving it's delicious Cafe au lait and beignets(a New Orleans
      style powdered doughnut).Tours of The Audubon Zoo and riverboat cruises
      are available daily. There are a wide variety of walking tours that you
      can take: from the beautiful homes of the Garden District to the above
      ground cemeteries, which are a necessity as New Orleans sits below sea
      level! All of these things are within a walk, a streetcar ride, or a
      brief bus or taxi ride from our hotel. All of these things are in
      addition to the planned MBS activities that will keep us busy all
      weekend. I always find it hard to break away from our mini book
      activities during conclave, but if you or a nonmember spouse or friend
      are interested, there are many, many things to do. I did not even mention
      the jazz and blues clubs and bars that dot the French Quarter and the
      rest of New Orleans. So much to see and do. Won't you join us?

      Finally I would like to remind you to please be generous with your
      keepsakes and auction items. Remember that the Saturday night auction is
      the big fund raiser for the MBS every year. Joan Boring is collecting
      auction items for this event again. In fact, I have a few things that I
      need to send Joan myself! Thanks for doing this again, Joan. Edward
      Hoyenski has graciously agreed to collect keepsakes this year. Please
      forward those to him. I know that we told donors to send less for the
      last few years. While I am basing my starting numbers on an attendance of
      80 people, I am hoping to get 100 plus attendees to New Orleans, so just
      use your best judgement. Items not used can be returned to you at your
      request. And our distinguished vice-president Jon Mayo is accepting
      donations for the Friday night silent auction. Please send those items to
      his HOME address in the MBS directory.You can find the addresses for all
      three in the directory. Let's make all 3 of these successful. Please
      donate even if you are unable to attend.

      I hope that this helps with some questions that you may have regarding
      this year's meeting. Again, I will have the official registration form
      out by the end of February so that you can begin signing up to attend the
      Miniature Book Society's Grand Conclave XXIII 2005 in New Orleans.

      Best wishes to all,
      Tammy
    • Kathy King
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2005
        Anyone who is wishing to send their registration money for the conclave
        through PayPal, please include an extra $15.00 for the fee which PayPal
        charges.

        Tammy will need all the funds listed on the registration form to cover
        costs.

        Thanks

        Kathy King

        MBS Treasurer

        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2005
          As President of the Miniature Book Society I would like to second Tammy's
          recent invitation to come to the MBS Conclave in New Orleans.

          Conclave weekend is one of the best times of the year for lovers of
          miniature books.

          Not just the chance to see wionderful miniature books but also the chance
          to meet and become friends with wonderful people.

          I hope to see many of you there.

          Neale M. Albert

          Thank You.
        • Tamela Camp
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2005
            Dear MBS Members,

            As I look at the calendar today, I see that in 6 weeks many of us will
            begin gathering in New Orleans for the 2005 edition of the Miniature Book
            Society's Grand Conclave. I do hope that many of you are planning to
            attend. Thanks to all of you who have already sent in your registration
            forms or have e-mailed me with your plans to attend. It helps
            tremendously in the planning to know as soon as possible how many are
            attending.

            If you are still undecided, I encourage you to make plans to come. Our
            weekends together are priceless. We have such a good time visiting and
            viewing miniature books as well as seeing the sights of the host city. I
            cannot stress enough what an MBS member misses out on when they do not
            attend the yearly conclave.

            If you are planning to come, but haven't yet sent in an acknowledgement,
            please do so. If you will drop me an e-mail telling me of your intention
            to attend, it would be so helpful. Also, if you are coming, let me know
            in your e-mail if you will need a table for the book fair and if you plan
            to stay for the Monday trip. If I receive a reply in the affirmative via
            e-mail, then I am willing to extend the deadline for the registration
            form and payment, if that will be helpful to you. I will need those items
            no later than July 1st,however; if you need to discuss these or other
            alternate arrangements, please feel free to e-mail me at
            tcminibks@... or call me at 1.601.582.3743. The deadline of June
            21st is a month ahead of the conclave. This is a standard time frame used
            to accurately plan for the meeting. It is also the deadline for booking a
            room at the conclave hotel, The Royal St.
            Charles(800.268.9749/504.587.3700). While I cannot change the hotel
            deadline, I am willing to work with anyone who needs an adjustment of the
            registration deadline. However, I do need to know in advance if you need
            to take advantage of this offer. You can do this by e-mailing or calling
            me. If you have any questions, please contact me as well.

            I hope to see you next month in New Orleans. Won't you join your book
            friends for a time of fun and friendship in the"Big Easy"?

            Best regards to you all,
            Tamela C. (Tammy) Camp
            MBS Grand Conclave 2005 Host