Question about marbling

  • J&J Sobota
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2004
      Dear marbling colleagues,

      I am looking for somebody, who can help me.

      Years ago, I attended the International Marblers Meeting in Santa Fe. Among
      others, there were many decorative paper makers there. We could see hand
      made papers, paste papers or marbled papers from all of the world. I was
      one of marblers there and I have bought or exchanged many papers with others
      for my collection.

      One paper, however, was done by a technique which I am not able to copy. A
      German marbler made the paper. It had very vivid colors and looked shiny.
      She charged 80 dollars for one sheet, which was very expensive in comparison
      to others.

      When I asked her how she made the paper, she said, she used oil colors on
      hot water. I have tried this, but have had no success in recreating the
      technique. My papers looked like ordinary oil based papers on water.

      Does anybody know how she did it?

      Jarmila Sobota

      Jan & Jarmila Sobota
      Sklenarska 5
      357 33 Loket
      Czech Republic

      www.jsobota.cz

      Phone: 352 685 130
    • Kimberly Byerly
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2004
        Hi Jarmila,

        I checked with my friend Diane Maurer-Mathison, Professional Marbling Artist and Author and she replied...

        "The marbler Jan is talking about is Gabriele Grunebaum. A sample of her work and an brief explanation appears on page 45 of my book, The Ultimate Marbling Handbook. She often thins her color 1-1 with turpentine and heats the water to 100 degrees Fahrenheit in a zinc tray. She calls the technique "Crash Marbling."

        I hope this helps...

        Warm regards,

        Kim Byerly
        Independent Beauty Consultant